Sign in to follow this  
DadJokeCinema

Still pant for DX10 as part of Vista? Read on...and great links!

Vista DRM Restrictions and Implications If you're wondering what DRM is all about and/or maybe think it's harmless, these articles make interesting (and sinister) reading: --------------------------------------------------------------------DRM, Vista and Your Rights: http://polishlinux.org/gnu/drm-vista-and-your-rights/European Music Execs Dissatisfied with DRM: http://www.informationweek.com/news/showAr...cleID=197006220A Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection: http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html#bVista and More: Piecing together Microsoft

Indeed. Little gain and significant pain. Is Vista another ME? Time will tell.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

I am sorry, but what has this to do with Flight simulator ?Really getting tired of bashing threads like those, if it is about Flight Simulator (note, I did NOT name a version) or what OS to use.This post would especially be at home in a music or movie forum, not on AVSIM.just my opinion. I really hope the moderators will take actions against this sort of posts.fly save, Jan

Guest panda234

It's very relevant. FSX runs like a dog on current systems and everyone is hoping that DX10 combined with Vista will be the answer. Any news to support or refute that belongs on these forums.bill

I do not agree, those articles handle DRM, like in Digital Rights Management. Maybe that those will slow computing down, but I do not believe so. On a high end system with dual core they should not have an impact, as FSX is not capable to make full use of multiple cores, there is always room for additional OS services.Hopefully SP1 will help the dual core capabilities of the sim.In my opinion, one should only install Vista on a (new) high end system, or expect slow downs. Also I am sure that once driver support improves (Nvidia ?) and DX10 support in games, that we will see Vista take off as the next Gaming platform. As I stated, this has nothing to do with DRM. DRM has his place in movie and music forums, not in a flight simulator forum.FYI, I am running FSX on my new box, dual boot between XP and Vista, and I think have only 1 or 2 frame less under Vista then under XP, but this is difficult to measure, as the sim is never the same between two flights.The gaming experience is the same for me.I have a much big impact under FEAR, but I think this has more to do with the current state of the Nvidia drivers then with the OS (FEAR makes better use of the video card then FSX and as a consequence is more impacted by the bad state of the current drivers).my specs :E6700 2.667 GHZ, 3GB 667mhz RAM, Nvidia 8800GTS, 2 SATA 500GB (space for future addons :-) )Vista Ultimate and windows XP dual bootbest regards, Jan

Guest allcott

By your post you prove that this topic does indeed belong here.Why would you think that SP1 will have any impact on dual core performance? NOWHER have ACES stated that is the case. The implication of their posts on the subject is clear - they are refining the existing code. The exisitng cosde cannot supoprt dual core. We know this. ACES know this.So if you have an expectation based on what you'd like to happen, now would be a very good time to abandon it. As for the improvements under DX10, well the best we can say is let them prove it. Hopefully by then many of the issues that afflict Vista might have been resolved.Allcott

>It's very relevant. FSX runs like a dog on current systems>and everyone is hoping that DX10 combined with Vista will be>the answer. Any news to support or refute that belongs on>these forums.>>bill>I read each link, and only once was performance or CPU usage mentioned, and that was in regards to playback of media files.This thread does not address DX10 at all, does not offer any "news to support or refute" that Vista will help or harm the Flight Simulator experience, and is in regard to a topic (DRM) that has been discussed at length here even though it has nothing to do with Flight Simulator.