Sign in to follow this  
Guest X15

Scenery issues with FSX

Guest stuhalstead

The issue has been evident since first install. In short, when switching views, scenery will disappear, together with all ground detail. It comes back again, but only very slowly - perhaps taking up to a minute. The aircraft is unaffected throughout. All very odd! If anyone has any ideas, I would be very grateful to hear them.System:Win XPAMD 64 4000+3 Gig. RAMNvidia 6800 (a bit long in the tooth I know - could this be the problem?)Settings:Generally fairly minimal.Thanks in advance

You have a little more horsepower than I (except maybe for the graphics card) so I would attribute long load times more to file loading. See the replies to Alec's "The loading times with my FSX is way over 5 minutes" post. It sounds like some serious defragging is in order or else you have way too many other processes running. The suggested O&O defrag has a free 30-day trial period and Ultimate Defrag (that I use) has a 7-day trial. You may need to move/defrag/recreate/maximize your pagefile also. I noticed obvious performance improvement after I used the products - even Window opens significantly faster. Just a thought...Hope you find the solutions soon.Loyd

>The issue has been evident since first install. In short,>when switching views, scenery will disappear, together with>all ground detail. It comes back again, but only very slowly>- perhaps taking up to a minute. The aircraft is unaffected>throughout. All very odd! If anyone has any ideas, I would be>very grateful to hear them.>>System:>>Win XP>AMD 64 4000+>3 Gig. RAM>Nvidia 6800 (a bit long in the tooth I know - could this be>the problem?)>>Settings:>>Generally fairly minimal.>>Thanks in advance>You need to adjust this line under the main section of the fsx.cfg fileFIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.43 - That's my current setting 0.33 is default. Higher value will improve scenery load performance, but may slow other parts of the sim. Lower value will improve performance, but may cause blurries from slower scenery load. Also check your Texture_Bandwidth_mult is greater than default 40. For your system I would set it somewhere in the order of 250. 400 is the max. Setting it that high may introduce some stuttering, so you'll have to do trial by error to get the right setting for your system!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Guest stuhalstead

Thanks gents. I'll give it a go.

Guest abulaafia

don't expect that to go away completely though, its perfectly normal for the sim to redraw scenery from scratch after switching views. 1 minute seems quiet normal.

Guest X15

I found one way to reduce this is to skip the 'tower' view. It seems cycling to the tower view causes the current scenery around the aircraft to be 'lost' so when you get back in the VC the world has gone blurry.I have a button assigned on my joystick as a shortcut back to the VC, so one button to pop outside and look at the plane, 1 button to get back to the VC skipping the tower view completely. Works for me.