Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Free up your Hard drive or SSD, and .....

create a Community.zip    archive and add your entire Community Folder contents.   Then, you can delete all those files you have downloaded from various sources. If ever you need to reinstall, or whatever, merely use the Community.zip to repopulate your Community Folder.

Done...

• Like 1

What do you mean?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Just now, captain420 said:

What do you mean?

I mean, highlight ALL your folders inside your Community Folder, then right click on them as blue highlighted, and then scale down to your ZIP menu, and use add to 'Community Zip'.  When that is done, move that zip file to your storage hard drive.  If you ever need to bring anything back into a clean install...just move the Community Zip file into your Community Folder, and un zip.  You will have everything back into your Community Folder.  You don't need to keep the downloaded files for those Community Folder content.  

• Upvote 1

Whereas, when I download addons, I unzip them and delete the zip files, I think the OP is keeping his zip files.  I'm not sure exactly what he is suggesting tbh.

MSFS can't seem to read anything outside of it's own directory and won't allow you to move files out of it save for deletion to the recycle bin.

I may be misunderstanding though.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

10 minutes ago, cianpars said:

Whereas, when I download addons, I unzip them and delete the zip files, I think the OP is keeping his zip files.  I'm not sure exactly what he is suggesting tbh.

MSFS can't seem to read anything outside of it's own directory and won't allow you to move files out of it save for deletion to the recycle bin.

I may be misunderstanding though.

What I am suggesting, is that instead of keeping archives (backups) of all your downloaded content,  you only have to create a zip of ALL your Community Folder content. Then, you can COPY that zip out of your Community Folder to a back up folder. Then...if ever, you wish to re populate your ENTIRE community folder content, you only have to place that zip into the folder...and let 'er rip.   

A lot of the files in your zip file will be outdated by the time you have to use the zip and you can (if you f.i. have download from Flightsim.to) download them again.

I use add on linker and that shows me (most of the time) the version number and my community folder is empty with 1 click

Edited by hansb57
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

I9-14900K,  Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite AX, RTX 4080, 32 ram.1 tb nvme  M.2 SSD, MSFS 2020 on 2 tb nvme m.2 SSD

13 minutes ago, hansb57 said:

A lot of the files in your zip file will be outdated by the time you have to use the zip and you can (if you f.i. have download from Flightsim.to) download them again.

I use add on linker and that shows me (most of the time) the version number and my community folder is empty with 1 click

I was thinking the same way: Most of the addons I use get updated frequently but even if they don't, Addon linker works practically the same way as the procedure the topicstarter.proposes except more userfriendly.

This procedure might be more practical for the addons in the Official folder, since it redownloading your official addons takes a loooong time after a re-install of the sim.

• Like 2

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

Keeping addons in a zip as they were downloaded, sometimes months ago, is a sure recipe for CTD in a clean install. The sim knows every so often updates that break compatibility and addons are then a major cause of CTD. Common sense dictates to avoid like plague older versions of an addon and redownload everything.

• Like 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

1 hour ago, Dominique_K said:

Keeping addons in a zip as they were downloaded, sometimes months ago, is a sure recipe for CTD in a clean install. The sim knows every so often updates that break compatibility and addons are then a major cause of CTD. Common sense dictates to avoid like plague older versions of an addon and redownload everything.

Even if addons have not been updated or if an update is not required one would still need to check them all just to make sure. Even addons that don't conflict with new SimUpdates require updates for bugs that are less obvious than CTD's; a bug in a single airport can cause issues with lots of other airports. e.g. missing vehicles on all airports in the region because an author made an error. If you never revisit these downloads, you are likely to end up with lots of issues in the sim caused by addons you 'just know are 100% free of issues'.

Until we have a utility that checks all addons for updates on flightsim.to (or other sites) we will just have to do that manually at a regular basis. In fact, the same is true for all commercial addons as well, unless purchased via the marketplace.

• Like 1

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

Well, I did the Zip...and it worked perfectly.  Took 135 GB's down to 47 compressed. I just copied it to my archive folder.  If not for anything else, if I have until the next update, a full crash..it will be zippy-doodah to just bring the zip into my empty community folder, and let er rip.  Easy peasy...  I merely COPIED the Community.zip over to my MSFS Purchases Folder and am good to go. Insurance until the next major update.... 🙂!

Post Edit. For anybody else that doesn't want to deal with the 137 GB's that I have in my C.C., is to as I said create a Community.zip.  It forms in the Community Folder. When done, mine took about an hour to compress 137 GB's to 47 GB's, then, you COPY it over to where ever you want to store it. When you have done that, merely DELETE the Community.zip within the Community Folder.  There you go...and so easy to repopulate everything you have in your Community Folder, and if there is a new update and if you NEED to get an updated airport, plane, whatever, you would only address that particular airport, plane, library, and you don't have to, as in my case, update the entire 137 GB's...for I have never had to do that...and there would not necessarily bee 137 GB's of updates. 

So, this is as great way and painless way to get back all you had...or to EVEN REMBER (LOLOLO) all your 'junk'...you placed in the C.C.!!!!   This way, you don't have to have a great memory that spans 137 GB's....lol.

Edited by Sesquashtoo

MSFS Addon Linker is so much more efficient than zipping 135GB of data then copying 45GB to another location. And then reversing the process to put all that back again if needed.

But to each their own. Good luck.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

Just now, Twenty6 said:

MSFS Addon Linker is so much more efficient than zipping 135GB of data then copying 45GB to another location. And then reversing the process to put all that back again if needed.

But to each their own. Good luck.

I dunno...walked away from the computer, an hour later it was done...whipped it over to my storage H.D.. If needed, whip it back...unzip and walk away for dinner....20 minutes later, everything is back, as it should be.  I dunno...no sweat in how I see that. 🙂

Ses, did you try MSFS Add-on Linker? If not, do try it and revert here with your opinion, it is simpler, faster, more efficient, user friendly, and... no CTD! Available at Flightsim.to.

• Upvote 2

Addons Linker all the way….

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

11 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

I dunno...walked away from the computer, an hour later it was done...whipped it over to my storage H.D.. If needed, whip it back...unzip and walk away for dinner....20 minutes later, everything is back, as it should be.  I dunno...no sweat in how I see that. 🙂

With MSFS Addon Linker it's two mouse clicks (maybe three) and the Community folder is emptied instantly. Not an hour. And all your addons are already backed up in their original location just waiting to be relinked into the Community folder either individually or all 135GB ..... instantly.

Work smarter, not harder even when you're not actually having to do the work.

• Like 1

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe