Sign in to follow this  
Aristoteles

Don´t feel like flying these days....

29 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

My daughter is on a trip to Seattle, and they are having temperatures there they have never seen before. Nothing there is airconditioned  either, because they never needed it. 

I am looking forward to global warming. Because it isn't warm here. In fact I've been looking forward to global warming for thirty years! And it's just my luck that global warming always seems to happen in places where I don't live!😂

Edited by jarmstro

1 minute ago, jarmstro said:

I am looking forward to global warming. Because it isn't warm here. In fact I've been looking forward to global warming for thirty years!😂

As long as your house doesn't burn down like is happening in Western USA, or get swept away in  a flood, you might enjoy the warmth, like a steam bath 24/7. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

33 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

My daughter is on a trip to Seattle, and they are having temperatures there they have never seen before. Nothing there is airconditioned  either, because they never needed it. 

Everyone tends to think of the Pacific NW as being cool and without heat waves. Not so and especially so in the past 10 years. The only place on the US west coast I know of that seems climate-proof is the San Francisco-Oakland Bay area with temps relentlessly in the mid-60's to mid-70's, and only occ. travels up. 

As for no air-con, I've always had it even in the past several days when temps here in Portland, Oregon have been 100+, my flight sim computer is blessed to be operating in a room temp. of 68 or so. If I had heat challenges, I would worry too.

United001

Windows 10 Pro, version: 10.0.18363 Build 18363 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 8 Logical Processors; Mobo: Z390 Phatom Gaming 4S-IB: Physical Memory: 16Gigs; GPU: NVIDIA GeForce FTX 2080 Super, 8 Gigs; 500Gigs Hard-Drive; 1TB SSD; 1TB SSD; 50" Samsung 4K Flat-screen monitor; 26" LG side-car monitor. Saitek Yoke and Throttle. Saitek Rudder Pedals.
Screen Resolution: Full Screen: 1920X1080 Full and Windowed modes. 

4 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

As long as your house doesn't burn down like is happening in Western USA, or get swept away in  a flood, you might enjoy the warmth, like a steam bath 24/7. 

Roll on global warming.. Floods, tempests, droughts, storms, the end of the world is nigh.

I am from Dubai and the weather remains in 40s range. This is what helped me.

- undervolted my 3080 with msi afterburner 

- capped my frame rates at 30.

I get sub 70 temps for both gpu and cpu without any air-conditioning.

• Like 1

Baber

My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/HDOnlive

11 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

I am looking forward to global warming. Because it isn't warm here. In fact I've been looking forward to global warming for thirty years! And it's just my luck that global warming always seems to happen in places where I don't live!😂

You must be kidding 😉 . I live in Northern Spain. Close to the Pyrinees and 50km from the sea. A gree, forested town where winters used to be snowy. We always have had mild summers with some exceptions, but this is getting ridiculous, with temps more akin to North Africa.

Iñigo Bildarratz

2 minutes ago, Aristoteles said:

You must be kidding 😉 . I live in Northern Spain. Close to the Pyrinees and 50km from the sea. A gree, forested town where winters used to be snowy. We always have had mild summers with some exceptions, but this is getting ridiculous, with temps more akin to North Africa.

Nice! Sounds more habitable.  I'll be sure to visit if I'm ever allowed to fly again because of the carbon cost.

As others have said, cap your frame rate. Under-clock your CPU and GPU if you feel capable of doing that. My CPU core temps went from 85C to 68C and my GPU went from mid 80s to 70C just by capping frames and dropping my core speeds down. 

AMD Rizen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 1440p LG 27GL850 G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

25 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

Hang in there the northern lattidudes will get it first.  The little town of Lytton, British Columbia, Canada on about the lattitude as London burned down a few months ago in the hottest temp on record for the nation:  121.3F.  And Portland, Oregon, hit 116F a month ago and that heatwave killed a bunch of folks.

You do have one giant potential worry for global warming in which case things will get a lot colder in the UK:  Climate change almost completely destabilizes Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation, study finds - The Washington Post

Uh oh, the mods will be arriving soon musn't talk too much about reality here in simulator world..

To the OP:   I set up this system when I lived in town of Paradise, CA, which as you may have read was destroyed in the massive Camp Fire on Nov 8, 2018 when some 14,000 homes were on fire in under 24h.  Really was fabulous as it killed two birds--kept me cool, plus the PC could get downright cold! Overclocked 3930K temps in the low 40's 😄

IMG-2188.jpg

I don't have one here in Colorado because almost always the house cools well during the night.  I was going to install a simple vent directly thru the floor to our basement which in summer is always a good 10-14 degrees F cooler than the main floor in summertime here.  Don't really need it as it turns out, but nice simple passive system if needed:

Screen-Shot-2020-03-06-at-8-48-55-AM.jpg

• Like 2

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

2 hours ago, Aristoteles said:

...with +104 º F /+40 º C most of the day , I have to check my GPU/CPU  temps, can hear the fans screaming and when making 3h flights I am starting to worry about the integrity of my PC. The weather is crazyHOT here in Southern Europe these days and I am starting to think I´d better skip some flights to take care of my rig. until this long heat wave ends at least, walk in the shade guys... 

Same here. It has been ridiculous this year. And the PC heats the room up even more. Its been off for awhile. We have had a few heat waves, like nothing I have ever experienced. I hate it. Bring on the Fall. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jpe828 said:

Same here. It has been ridiculous this year. And the PC heats the room up even more. Its been off for awhile. We have had a few heat waves, like nothing I have ever experienced. I hate it. Bring on the Fall. 

Well stop driving and flying then. And switch off those air conditioners and switch off your PC.

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

Or if you have a glass side, open it or take it off. 

Bob, you should be ashamed of yourself for suggesting such an act (presuming you are referring to a PC and not a conservatory)! Surely modern PC's are designed for maximum air flow and by taking ANY panel off completely messes up the correct airflow. I purchased a massive Arctic CPU liquid cooler (then found it hard to find a PC case to fit it in the top where it is supposed to be) so did as much research as I could on air flow etc and unless I learned wrongly, taking any panel off is likely to cause big problems. 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X on ROG CROSSHAIR VIIl DARK HERO (AM4), Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3080 V2 OC and 32 GB Vengeance Pro Ram 3600MHz. DELL Alienware AW3420DW 3440x1440 and DELL U2414H

I live in North west UK, 15 degrees and cloudy is the order of the day.  We had a week not so long ago that was steaming but thankfully the rain soon came 🙂

• Like 1

Thomas Derbyshire

23 minutes ago, sidfadc said:
25 minutes ago, Espana Pete said:

Bob, you should be ashamed of yourself for suggesting such an act (presuming you are referring to a PC and not a conservatory)! Surely modern PC's are designed for maximum air flow and by taking ANY panel off completely messes up the correct airflow. I purchased a massive Arctic CPU liquid cooler (then found it hard to find a PC case to fit it in the top where it is supposed to be) so did as much research as I could on air flow etc and unless I learned wrongly, taking any panel off is likely to cause big problems. 

Actually, it does work. When we had our heatwave, I took the side off mine. The 3090 went from 85C down to around 72C. It stated pimping the air directly to the room and was swiftly removed via the drafty window. 

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith

10 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

and was swiftly removed via the drafty window. 

🙂

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X on ROG CROSSHAIR VIIl DARK HERO (AM4), Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3080 V2 OC and 32 GB Vengeance Pro Ram 3600MHz. DELL Alienware AW3420DW 3440x1440 and DELL U2414H