Sign in to follow this  
neil0311

Excellent side by side SU4 to SU5 performance comparison

Apologies if this has been posted but didn’t recall seeing it.

This is a great comparison of SU4 to SU5 with the same hardware and a controlled flight/conditions.

Edited by neil0311
  • Like 2

The memory improvement is the biggest thing for me... although what is not mentioned here, you need to change LOD from 100 to 200 in SU5, to get equivalent visuals.  🙂

• Like 2

Bert

My observations were that sat on the runway the trees on the right had better definition in SU4, but as the video progressed, the buildings definition looked superior in SU5. Overall SU5 came up with the goods for me. Will it please everybody? an impossible task.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X on ROG CROSSHAIR VIIl DARK HERO (AM4), Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3080 V2 OC and 32 GB Vengeance Pro Ram 3600MHz. DELL Alienware AW3420DW 3440x1440 and DELL U2414H

2 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

The memory improvement is the biggest thing for me... although what is not mentioned here, you need to change LOD from 100 to 200 in SU5, to get equivalent visuals.  🙂

I just moved mine from where it was 100 to 200. What negative can happen with that, lower FPS? 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Just now, Bobsk8 said:

I just moved mine from where it was 100 to 200. What negative can happen with that, lower FPS? 

Depending on your system.. I have fps set to 30, and do not notice any negative impact. 🙂

Bert

2 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Maybe you mean 500 ... and you will not obtain the same results, due to the memory footprint reduction which limits scenery buffering. 

But the solution is easy: with some sliders we will hopefully be allowed to use our hardware. So they promised.

As everyone can see, there is something definitely wrong with lighting in SU5. They will need to address that also.

A.

• Like 1

When compensating the LOD I experience stutters when panning.

Karl

• Like 1

i9-9900K@5,0   |  32GB 3200  |  2080TI  |  4K 55"  |  MSFS | P3D V5

16 minutes ago, ADamiani said:

Maybe you mean 500

No I do not 😉

And I get that you do not like the tradeoffs that Asobo made with SU5... Hopefully you will get your sliders 🙂

Bert

31 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Depending on your system.. I have fps set to 30, and do not notice any negative impact. 🙂

I have mine locked at 30FPS and it is staying right there so I guess LOD 200 is working OK. 

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

No I do not 😉

And I get that you do not like the tradeoffs that Asobo made with SU5... Hopefully you will get your sliders 🙂

We all will have them, and it will make the game more enjoyable for everyone, so I think it's good for all  PC users.

A.

4 minutes ago, MrFuzzy said:

What about the water and the piers in SU5?

All flat and opaque...

This is with LOD = 100.

Bert

Just now, Bert Pieke said:

This is with LOD = 100.

I don't think LOD has anything to do with that, and the two builds were compared with the same settings.

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

8 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Hopefully you will get your sliders 🙂

And then we will hear about stuttering......

• Like 3

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

21 minutes ago, MrFuzzy said:

and the two builds were compared with the same settings.

Exactly, both with LOD set to 100.  😉

In SU5, you need to set LOD = 200 for the same visuals.

Try it!

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 3

Bert