Sign in to follow this  
W2DR

Can I Install FS2004 On A Computer Running FSX?

First poster here and relative newb to MSFS -- Hope this question is posted in the right place.I was given MSFSX for Christmas and have been pretty happy. But after a couple of recent system crashes, as well as reading a lot of the posts here regarding better frame rates, more add on support, and general "better" performance, I bought a copy of FS2004 for $18.00 from Amazon.com so I could see for myself. It is scheduled to arrive on Weds. and I would like to install it on the same machine as my FSX installation, because it's the fastest one in the house.Will having both programs on the same computer be a problem?I have a desktop with a dual monitor flat panel set up, a 3.2 ghz Celeron processor running XP Home, 2 gig of RAM, and a new 512 gb. video card.Thanks in advance to the group!Chuck B.

I wouldn't suggest running them at the same time :( , but other than that, you shouldn't have any problems.Many of us have both installed. Just don't try to install them into the same directory.

>I wouldn't suggest running them at the same time :( , but>other than that, you shouldn't have any problems.>>Many of us have both installed. Just don't try to install>them into the same directory.>Thanks, Brian! There's nothing better in life than getting the answer you want to hear.Chuck

Guest JohnPaulJones

>I wouldn't suggest running them at the same time :( , but>other than that, you shouldn't have any problems.>>Many of us have both installed. Just don't try to install>them into the same directory.>I'll second that! I've got FSX, FS2004 and FS2002 installed on my development PC and they all work perfectly.

I also run FS9 and Fsx on the same PC without problems. I heard some people have some issues, but never experienced them myself.

I have both installed on my machine and they both run OK.However, I would check that you have enough free disk space. FSX deluxe takes about 15 gigs of space, and you should also have enough free space after the install for virtual memory and future addons. Also, don't forget to defrag the disk after the install.Ron

Ron Service

Also, can I install and run FS2004 off of a 2nd hard drive, if I want? Not a partition or a virtual drive but my actual D: drive? Or does MicroSoft insist you run it off the C: drive? It's a 140 gig, 7200 rpm internal.Thanks, folks. Good idea on the defrag after install, I'll remember to do that.Just to clarify, I already have FSX installed -- I was curious about any potential problems with installing and running FS2004 _after_ FSX is installed. Kind of a slightly reversed process than most users might experience; "backward engineered install" so to speak.:-)Thanks again.Chuck

Sure. You have the option at the beginning of the install to point the installer to whatever drive and folder name you'd like. Mine's installed in G:FS2004.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Thanks, guys! When working in Windows, and particularly with Microsoft, one can never be too careful and IMHO there is never a 'dumb question'. I'm most interested in Flying FS2004 after the past 2 months in FSX, especially considering the availability for all the addons for 2004. I especially excited about using FSM Moving Map amd knowing exactly where I am - the GPS and FS Earth just haven't been "doing it" for me.

Many of us are still using FS2004 much more than FSX. It's really hard to leave behind all those great addons. If the ACES guys can get the performance level up a bit we should start seeing more complex addons for FSX. If not, well, FS2004 still had a lot of life left in it.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.