Sign in to follow this  
zihmer001

Realism: Have you considers VATSIM?

There are a lot of folks that want a level of realism, whether it be Control’s, switch boxes, picking up the Garmin boxes from a maker like RSG, or anything else. I notice that the built in ATC gets a lot of grief (it is kind of awful)…but considering what it is AND ISN’T it’s alright. 

I have no affiliation with VATSIM other than I’m a user over there. A year ago - I wondered if something like this existed. Day to day it’s great, but I wanted to highlight two events that took place over the weekend. 

Friday was an Atlantic coast event with staffed airports and centers from Miami through DC. It was fun grabbing a clearance, taking off, being handed on some some Center splits and coming in on an arrival. Due to traffic we had to maintain sequencing in flight. It was a lot of fun and a lot going on. 

Last night was single runway operations out of KPHL. Wow! Started with a PDC with delivery, tuning ground for push and start. Working with the Ramp for ramp alignment and spacing. Tower to get routed along taxiways and in order. Fuel actually mattered! It was an event where we alternate take offs and landings rather quickly and it kept you busy on the radios. TCAS had planes al over it. 

Why do I bring this up? Many people use charts, plan realistically on simbrief, use procedures and checklists and want a realistic environment. I wanted to point out that vatsim might be for you. I’m not a real pilot. I’ve been back in the saddle for a year now. In my option there’s nothing like it. Just my two cents!

• Like 11

i7-10700k (OC at 5.05MHz) | EVGA 3090 FTW3 (24GB) | G.Skill RipJaws V Series 32GB RAM (Effective 3200MHz) | 1TB SSD M2 (Samsung EVO) | Corsair 850W Gold P/S | MSI MAG CoreLiquid 240R | MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge WiFi | Logitech Yoke and Throttle Quad | Logitech Saitek Rudders | Logitech Switch Panel | Thrustmaster T.Flight 4 HOTAS | HyperX Cloud Flight S Headset | 43” LG 43UN700B 4k monitor | HP Reverb G2 (VR)

Selling EVGA 2080 Super Ultra XC (8GB) - used for 3.5 months - PM me for info if interested!

My uncle taught me "how to fly" on MSFS95, got MSFS98 for a birthday, and I have been hooked ever since

A lot of people uses vatsim. I also use a lot too and I was in the thick of it for friday night ops in kphl too. You should also check out cross the pond where its even crazier with lots more traffic

Thanks for the great PSA ! 

I expect there will be some negative feedback like ("I tried it but there's never any ATC when and/or where I want to fly, etc")  I cannot comment on VATSIM outside of the US but there has definitely been a large increase of ATC coverage in the US over the past 6 months. The client software is very stable and the ATC controllers are very professional. 

If  you've tried VATSIM in the past but not recently, you owe it to yourself to just check it out again.

New pilots wanting a look at what this is about go HERE >>> https://www.vatsim.net//

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

WAT1460.png

I love vatsim.  I feel like the coverage (atleast in North America) is WAY better than it was 10 years ago.  Wonder when the new Vatsim update will be out?

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

yes, when many peoples are online, it makes so much fun. Unfortunately, vatsim and ivao share users, which reduces the fun. 

33 minutes ago, Deleted said:

yes, when many peoples are online, it makes so much fun. Unfortunately, vatsim and ivao share users, which reduces the fun. 

I didn't realize ivao is still a thing.  interesting

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Shameless plug for an amazing Vatsim VFR and IFR training program hosted by Boston ARTCC and best of all it's free! Wings over New England.

• Like 2

Aorus Master X570 / 5800x3d w/ Arctic Freezer ii 280 / Asus TUF 3090 w/ gigabyte BIOS / 2x16GB b-die @ 3600Mhz 

I’m a massive fan of vatsim (but never tried IVAO). Is there much of a difference?

but anyway back to OP’s point, vatsim is great at adding realism although I do worry MSFS remains in a fragile state and constantly live on my nerves that it’s going to let me know. There’s lots of guides out there for newbies and I would advise newcomers to just park up and listen in on the frequency to get a feel for the general ATC protocol before jumping in both feet first. 

I don't even fly if it's not on vatsim. I considered it to be an essential part of flight simming. Flying with the default atc is like flying with a keyboard. It's just not simming

• Like 1

vatsim s3

1133704.png

Tried Vatsim over the years a few times, once for around 2 years.  I finally quit, because I determined it was a total waste of my time. My biggest objection is the total lack of controllers when and where I want to fly. I got fed up with starting a flight somewhere, and no controllers within hundreds of miles. I am retired and like to fly in the morning. Most times, in the entire USA, you are lucky to find two or three controllers. So it's Unicom, for takeoff and landing. Another problem is if you want to go between to West Coast Airports in the US, there are no controllers in the entire West Coast. 

Second problem, you start a flight because you finally find a controller at an airport that you want top fly to, or out of, and within 15 minutes of taking off, the controller decides to quit, and it's back to Unicom. Here is another common occurrence, you are on approach to an airport, and the controller decides he is going to watch ESPN, and signs off when you are 50 miles from touchdown. Unicom again.  

I use PF3 now, controllers everywhere, and 24/7.  Can't beat it. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 3

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

I am going to give pilot2atc a go instead, at least so i can get comfortable with interacting with ATC. But at some point i might give vatsim a go. 

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

8 hours ago, zihmer001 said:

I’m not a real pilot.

I am a real pilot and Vatsim is absolutely brilliant. Controllers usually know their local areas and procedures quite well (as all pilots know, regional and local ATC has its quirks everywhere). The guys on Vatsim in the Caribbean sound just like the real thing. It’s an absolutely fantastic service. Can’t recommend it enough. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Tried Vatsim over the years a few times, once for around 2 years.  I finally quit, because I determined it was a total waste of my time. My biggest objection is the total lack of controllers when and where I want to fly. I got fed up with starting a flight somewhere, and no controllers within hundreds of miles. I am retired and like to fly in the morning. Most times, in the entire USA, you are lucky to find two or three controllers. So it's Unicom, for takeoff and landing. Another problem is if you want to go between to West Coast Airports in the US, there are no controllers in the entire West Coast. 

Second problem, you start a flight because you finally find a controller at an airport that you want top fly to, or out of, and within 15 minutes of taking off, the controller decides to quit, and it's back to Unicom. Here is another common occurrence, you are on approach to an airport, and the controller decides he is going to watch ESPN, and signs off when you are 50 miles from touchdown. Unicom again.  

I use PF3 now, controllers everywhere, and 24/7.  Can't beat it. 

Try the PilotEdge network.  Every airport/frequency is manned for the entire western half of the USA.

• Upvote 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

10 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Try the PilotEdge network.  Every airport/frequency is manned for the entire western half of the USA.

Did that a few years ago. Found the area of the world and airports they covered very limiting, like playing in a sandbox for me. I like flying all over the US,  Europe, Canada, Bahamas, etc. Can't do  that with Pilot edge. and it is really expensive, $34.95 a month. I paid around $60 for PF3 ATC, and that was about 4 years ago. ATC anywhere I fly. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS