Sign in to follow this  
DadJokeCinema

FSX vs. FS 9 - your opinion - is it really worth it?

I was wondering - since I received my free copy of FSX after the AVSIM convention, I have only played around with FSX only twice. Because of my older Pentium IV 2.4 GHZ machine, naturally it runs really slow. My FS 9 runs really nicely, with nice frame rates, etc, plus I have all my beautiful addons working on FS 9. Therefore - 2 Questions:- How many of you have had a similar experience as me - tried FS X, and virtually put it back in the box indefinitely, saying, "I'll just stick with FS9 since it works nicely?" And.... - How many feel the difference between the two versions of FS X is very much worth going out and buying a whole new computer system for that can better handle FSX?Is it the difference REALLY worth it?Thanks.Chris Catalano

For the record, I have removed FSX from my HDD unless and until performance patches become available. But this topic has been discussed often and in great depth, and there is little point raking the embers again. We'll just have the usual slanging match between FSX supporters and detractors, which achieves nothing.Cheers,Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

Chris,That truly can not be answered but by only yourself. Nobody will be spending your money--but YOU!If you have to ask that, you already have doubts that the investment in hardware will pay off.If you are happy with your FS9 performance---well...you have saved a pile of dough.I liked the features of FSX, but the out-of-the-box-not-dummied-down performance with high end current hardware was/is dismal.I won't be going to Vista or its embedded DX10.For myself, I have removed it from my hard drive and have gone back to FS9 exclusively. I retired it (FSX)until I see what the XP patch will do. If it brings (by some miracle) it up to 20-30 fps without the need to degrade/reduce textures, etc...then I will certainly bring it back online. If not...then FS9 until dust.:)Mitch R.

First of all I'll take the over on this thread. (will be locked over 12 responses) :) Secondly I am currently running both FSX and FS9. Why? Because I still have some aircraft I enjoy flying that are not yet availablefor FSX.Out of the box FSX looks (in my opinion) much better than FS9. I allready have a ton of add ons for FS9 so I can attest that to makeFS9 look as good as the stock FSX you will have invested multiple$$$.With that said; if your happy with FS9 by all means use it. If youdesire a computer upgrade and have the $$$$ then go for it.It's really a matter of personal choice. I enjoy them both.CraigASUS A8N- nForce SLI Chipset SATA RAID Dual PCIe MOBOAMD ATHLON64 3500+ CPU w/ HT TechLG GWA-4161 DVD/CDSeagate ST3160811AS 160GB Barracuda 9 7200RPM 8MB SATA II 3Gb/s NCQSeagate ST3160811AS 250GB Barracuda 9 7200RPM 8MB SATA II 3Gb/s NCQEVGA 7950 GT KO PCIe 512mb nvodngov19147-[Guru3D.com] drivers SB Audigy 22G Corsair PC 3200 400MHZ Dual Channel DDR Super Alien 500W P/STrack IR3 w/vectorCH Yolk & RuddersFS Genesis Terrain MeshActive SkyRC4

I saw your CPU specs on the other forum. IMO, FSX won't run well.I have an upper mid-grade CPU. Athlon 3800+/2GIG/Geforce 7600GS 256MB/ 1600*1200*32 res.I run both FS9 & FSX. My old CPU didn't run FSX worth bothering with, but this one does a good job, as long as I don't attempt to keep all sliders to the right. All sliders to the right, would be very far beyond what's possible in FS9 anyway.As to the program. Yes, I really enjoy it. It's just different than FS9, and that's the way I consider it. It's not a total replacement for FS9 at this time, IMO. I prefer the high res textures, and the different way that flight is modeled. As far as I'm concerened, if I did have to remove FSX, I'd seriously give thought to giving up flight simming. There are numerous changes that have been well worth it for my type of flight, which is usually city mountain areas throughout the mountain west. For complex airports and complex airliners, along with AI, FS9 is still your best bet, as FSX is short on headream for additional fps. I try to maintain at least 25 fps.L.Adamson

OK, I'll bite on this one too. I have removed FS9 from my system and fly exclusively FSX. I do miss certain a/c that aren't yet available in FSX but that's the way it goes.It's really hard to compare "settings" per se as they dono't really equate on an even basis. For example, ACES has stated that the Sparse Autogen setting in FSX is equivalent to the Very Dense setting in FS9! Others have mentioned and I agree that 15FPS in FSX in much better than 15 FPS in FS9.For me, I tweak until I get things to LOOK and FEEL good and smooth to me. I pay no attention to framerates unless I'm making adjustments or testing. In FS9 with all the add-ons, I had the max set at 30 and usually stayed 25 - 30. In FSX I have the max set at 24 and usually stay around 16 - 20. There are spots where it will drop to 5 or 6 but I had that in FS9 with a heavy thunderstorm.So, for me, FSX is smoother and many more visuals. The water effects, the moving auto traffic and more.My system is on the higher end but by no means state of the art, however, I do take care to keep it spyware free and defrag often.Just MHO,VicSystem: p4 3.4/ 2G PC3200 / Nvidia 7600/412 PCIe video/ 2 250G SATA drives, XP Pro SP2Track IR4 CH Yoke & RuddersFS Genesis Terrain MeshActive SkyRC4Visit the Virtual Pilot's Centerwww.flightadventures.comhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Proud SupporterRadar Contact Supporter: http://www.jdtllc.com/

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Oh wow, we never had a topic like that before, haven't we? ;)FSX is definitely worth it, if you have enough CPU and GPU power to run it. Sure, FS9 works and looks just fine, but FSX sports a lot of improvements:- Improved weather generation, turbulence, wake effects- Land, sea and bird "traffic"- Tarmac traffic- Improved multiplayer- Improved ATC- Garmin 1000 (in the deluxe version)- Weather effects on highways- Accurate moon and stars- Much improved mesh and textures- Less stutters, smoother gauges- Better default airplanes- Fly-by-wire simulation- Complete SDK- Missions- etc.FSX "feels" a lot more realistic. Sure, you can achieve some effects and improvements with FS9 with about $200 in add-ons, but not all of them.FS9 is still great for airliners, complex add-ons, FS2Crew, FSPassengers, but I am sure that that gap will be closed soon as more and more add-ons are being ported to FSX.About the framerate: Yes, it's not great, but still enough to be enjoyable, if you have adequate hardware. The upcoming patch (and DX10) promises to bring some relief, but I would rather keep my expectations low.Pat

My opinion: FSX is by no means perfect, for instance, it suffers from many of the same FS9 anoying ATC problems. But... FSX is the future, all the newer and better payware will more than likely come out for FSX rather than FS9. IMHO, FSX is the future. FS9, even if it works well now, is now part of FSim history.Kerke

Wow, this thread has been amazingly civil. This would not have been possible 2 months ago. It would have been asbestos suit time for all involved. I read the thread title and thought, "Oh no, here we go again". Things are looking up I guess!Regarding the original post; It's all personal preference. I have both FS2004 and FSX on my FS computer. I have the best of both worlds, is the way I see it!RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

As mentioned, personal preference. I didn't have to buy a new rig to enjoy it. If I had, I doubt I would be enjoying it now as I plan to wait till further hardware updates are avaiulable so I can max settings, hopefully later this year.That being said, I have both installed and only fly in FSX. I load up FS9 to work on projects and while the performance gain is noticable, the lack of high res textures, feeling of flight and better water makes me long for FSX instead.Try it out and see.Regards, MichaelKDFWNot anti FS9, just pro FSX!

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI-x16 / AMD

Best, Michael

KDFW

The short answer is no. The long answer is noooooo.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Was just a question of time that someone starts trolling again and hijacks a civil thread.Nothing to say? Don't.*yawn*Pat

As stated before, we are not inclined to continue the FSX/FS9 debate here, as it's been proven to only cause trouble and poor manners.