Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

MSFS will never allow users to stay on an older version

31 minutes ago, neil0311 said:

And in a perfect world I’d agree. And you make assumptions that they had reports of bugs and ignored them deliberately.  That’s possible, especially with a milestone. But it’s also possible that none of the issues were reported, or they were reported in a very small % of use cases and yes…it was deemed ok to release and deal with them later.

And I’ve been on beta test teams for years as well, both for FS and other software. I was on the FSX beta for the Aces team and reported bugs. That team ignored many terrain and scenery bugs that never were fixed. Asobo released hotfixes within hours, and another major update will be out within a month.

Again…I think there’s a lot of ignorance about software development, how decisions get made, and the motives behind those decisions. 

Oh please, 5 seconds after people started flying SU5 they were reporting massive problems. The FS official forum was swamped with complaints of everything from CTDs, scenery popping, shimmering, LOD problems, the last goes on and on. If they had multiple fixes ready to release in hours, they knew about these bugs before hand. Stop kidding yourself. Won't be surprised at all if the new update causes more problems. 

• Like 3

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

2 hours ago, neil0311 said:

I think there’s a lot of ignorance about software development, how decisions get made, and the motives behind those decisions. 

Yes, absolutely. This is so evident in many posts in this and other forums. But nothing new here -- we went through worse with FSX.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Oh please, 5 seconds after people started flying SU5 they were reporting massive problems. The FS official forum was swamped with complaints of everything from CTDs, scenery popping, shimmering, LOD problems, the last goes on and on. If they had multiple fixes ready to release in hours, they knew about these bugs before hand. Stop kidding yourself. Won't be surprised at all if the new update causes more problems. 

SOME people had massive problems. Others had none or minor issues. I have not had any problems and pretty sure my experience isn’t unique. But keep telling us the sky is falling. 🙄

Edited by neil0311

1 minute ago, neil0311 said:

I have not had any problems and pretty sure my experience isn’t unique. But keep telling us the sky is falling. 🙄

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/disappointed-in-sim-update-5/426991/538

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Just now, neil0311 said:

That proves it. Guess you win. 🙄

Neil it has really been fun listening to your nonsense, but I am done. 

51 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Neil it has really been fun listening to your nonsense, but I am done. 

Hey guys, looks like you are both located in or around Atlanta, maybe talk about it over a nice beer? Or a Coke Classic?

A.

7 minutes ago, ADamiani said:

Hey guys, looks like you are both located in or around Atlanta, maybe talk about it over a nice beer? Or a Coke Classic?

A.

Yeah right, or maybe I will get a couple of root canals instead. 😉

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

Yeah right, or maybe I will get a couple of root canals instead. 😉

May I congratulate you on being the latest member of my ignore list.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Reader said:

That's wonderful, I will put your name on mine. Just did, Hasta Lavista. 

Edited by Bobsk8

My take on this is as follows.

Satellite imagery for the whole world in our sim was something we had been dreaming of for years. At least since Google Maps became available. 

The technical solution adopted in MSFS appears solid and well conceived. It works pretty well.

This means that a lot of work is done on the cloud, so being all on the same version is more or less a direct consequence. I think it's a trade off we can happily live with.

It also means that if an update contains bugs, or even showstoppers, the effect is quickly propagated to all users, and the potential for a big mess is huge.

The fact that some, or the majority, of users are totally happy with SU5, doesn't mean that it is not a big mess. New diffused instabilities were added and the graphics were downgraded in that "update", as confirmed by the devs themselves. See the devs update published yesterday about the oncoming patch.

The first logical thing to do is to involve a lot of users with different hardware combinations in beta testing. This is not easy because part of the action is happening on the cloud, so you have to provide parallel services for the current version and the beta version. When the beta version becomes opt-in, numbers may increase very quickly. Not a piece of cake, much different from ordinary, offline software beta testing.

The other logical thing to do is to branch two different versions for XBox and PC, because what happened with SU5 must remain an isolated blunder. (Please do not try and convince me that the SU5 disaster is uncorrelated with the XBox deadline. )

A.

Edited by ADamiani

1 hour ago, ADamiani said:

The fact that some, or the majority, of users are totally happy with SU5, doesn't mean that it is not a big mess.

Deleted and ignored 😉

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Upvote 1

Bert

What are you people fighting about now?

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

3 minutes ago, Slides said:

What are you people fighting about now?

Nah, no fight. The usual: I wrote that we should be happy with the mandatory updates because imho they are the logical consequence of the cloud based approach for satellite scenery, which in my opinion is also a success. Pretty much Asobo-friendly. Then I propose a couple solutions (not saying that they are easy to implement) for the SU5 mess. 

Because even if the majority of users are happy, and only 10-15% (but I think many more) of the users are struggling with ctds and/or a downgraded experience, the update is a big mess. And they are aware of this: they are working on a patch.

At this point, especially when you mention the obvious connection between SU5 and the XBox deadline, someone promptly tries to derail the thread discussing semantics.

Nothing new. Same as in the official forum.

A.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Reader said:

Yeah, Bob’s going on mine as well. 

Edited by neil0311
  • Upvote 1