Sign in to follow this  
mikeymike

Jaggie taxi and runway lines AA

You might also give a DSR screen mode a trial,

For example I have a 1080 x 1920 30Hz capable screen (three of them actually).

And for my main sim screen I run a DSR 1.78 ratio screen mode via NVidia's DSR, which basically gives you a dynamic screen resolution greater than the screen's native capability and thus I have a 2560 x 1440 screen mode @ 30 Hz, this adds a significant degree of AA during the upsize plus, there is a smoothness slider (defaults to 33%), I find ~45% is ideal for myself.

I have P3D set to 1080 x 1920 and use an little app called "Display Changer" where I've pre-configured my screen modes with batch file shortcuts I only need to click on to swap to an alternate screen mode.

Spoiler

REM Prepar3D and dependencies startup script
REM Author:        Rogen
REM Date:        15/02/2020
REM Version:        1.0
TIMEOUT 2
@echo off
REM Description: Set a DSR 30 Hz screen mode

"E:\FSX Addons\DisplayChanger\dc2.exe" -configure="E:\FSX Addons\DisplayChanger\P3D-DSR-30HZ.xml"

REM Info on the use of START    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/library/bb491005.aspx
REM Info on the use of TASKLIST https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb491010.aspx

REM The script will run with the rights of the invoker which will set the priority as HIGH and never REALTIME as admin rights are required to set as REALTIME. REALTIME also sucks too much out of the OS and audio becomes stuttery.
REM To allow the script to set P3D as REALTIME the script can be run from a shortcut where the shortcut is configured to run with ADMIN rights via the shortcut's property dialog Advanced button.

REM END

Since you've got a 2K monitor you could trial a 4k screen mode or anything in between.

DSR is setup in a couple of places.

1st is in the NVidia Control Panel / Display / Adjust Desktop size and postion

• Where you need to set "Perform scaling on: GPU"

2nd is in the NVidia Control Panel / Manage 3D Settings / Global Settings

• Where you enable "DSR - Factors" (a series of checkboxes for what ratios to use).
  • There is also "DSR - Smoothness" to smooth the image overall.

Once set you'll have all these neat new screen resolutions to trial out.

I stick with 1.78 as my GPU is not strong enough to go higher in normal use, although in Africa and other sparcely populated areas 4K is managed just fine by my 1070ti.

Cheers

1.78 DSR screen mode example

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

4.00 DSR screen mode example

PS: A just taken 4K DSR screen grab while running 30 Hz vsync'd.

Edited by Rogen
added just taken 4k DSR pic.

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

Rogan

amazing pics, I’ll have to try dsr.

judging by pics are you using p3d v4? 

cheers 

mike

On 8/21/2021 at 11:58 PM, mikeymike said:

judging by pics are you using p3d v4

Yes I am, do have v5 installed, but it's not quite there for myself as yet.

I didn't move from P3D v3 to P3D v4 till 4.3 came out.

Cheers

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

On 8/21/2021 at 12:30 AM, Rogen said:

In the NVidia Control Panel / Manage 3D Settings / Program Settings / Prepar3D

There are options for Antialisasing e.g.

• Antialiasing - Mode = "Enhance the application setting"
  • Antialiasing - Transparancy = "2x, 4x or 8x Super Sampling"

Set as high as you can without overloading your GPU (I cannot really do more than 2x with my 1070ti GPU).

If you use the NVidia Inspector you'll have additional options for the above e.g. Sparse Grid Super Sampling 2x, 4x, or 8x

Sparse Grid Super Sampling is intended to function in combo with MSAA configured in the application.

For example you could set 4x Sparse Grid Super Sampling in the NVida Inspector and would then set MSAA 4x in P3D to fully activate.

In Prepar3D I have AA set @ 8xMSAA now.

Do I need to match Antialiasing Setting in NVCP with my Prepar3D's setting (8xMSAA) if I use "Enhance the application setting"? Will this combination (8 and 8 ) put a serious additional load on GPU/CPU?

Also I don't think I'll be able to use SGSS @8 with my RTX 2080Ti, so should I try to set 4 and 4 and 4 values in the settings above? Do I get it right, Rogen?

Thanks!  

Edited by Dirk98