Sign in to follow this  
Guest JackDanielsDrinker

Multiple scenery add-ons running at once in FSX?

Guest cbeal

I have a naive question regarding running multiple scenery add-ons at once. I'm strongly considering purchasing the generation-x package from horizon simluations (especially @ 50% off) and fs global x.My question is how will FSX treat these add-ons? If I'm flying in the UK I want to use to the generation-x scenery, but outside of the generation-x coverage area use fs global x. Do I simply just install the software and it FSX takes care of the rest or do I need change a setting in FSX?Thanks,Chris

HelloThese are two different types of productsGeneration-x consists of photo textures for England and WalesFS Global x is a Terrain Mesh product.If Generation-x also contains mesh files and they are of a higher Lod value than the mesh in Global x, the Generation-x mesh will take precedence.

Guest JackDanielsDrinker

The scenery will install and be used in its coverage area. Outside its coverage area, you will see default scenery.

Guest cbeal

Thanks,Outside of generation-x coverage, I would see default scenery but with fs global-x mesh, correct? That's what I expected, but I remember reading a long time about settings in the scenery library... I didn't know if that would apply to this scenario. I suppose no, since one is a scenery add-on and the other is terrain mesh.Cheers,C.

Guest JackDanielsDrinker

If the mesh is really global, you will see it everywhere. From what an earlier poster said, the photoscenery will just show up in the UK.

IIUC, when scenery is compiled into bgl files, the spatial coverage is determined and stored in the file header. When FSX starts up, it inventories all active bgl files and builds a database of scenery files and their coverage using this header data. This database is used to determine which scenery files are "in range" and used to compute the view. For scenery files "in range", the scenery area priority (from the scenery library settings) and certain internal variables determine the order in which the scenery is applied. Depending on various things, the scenery in these files will either coexist or override based on priority.scott s..

Guest allcott

Rather than listen to the misinformation here, I suggest our poster visits the Gen X forum here:http://www.horizonsimulation.com/forums/index.phpYou are right to be concerned. There are issues with the scenery being read, regardless as to whether the scenery is `in range` or not - in other words, even if you're flying in Japan, FSX wants to load Gen-X photo textures for England. Clearly this is a serious FSX issue that had better be fixed by SP1 or else sim loading times of days will be on the cards, given the size and proliferation of high-res photo-scenery for FSX.Allcott

Guest JackDanielsDrinker

Hey AllCrock, nobody misinformed anyone. We told him how the scenery system works. We didn't tell him that FSX is bug free (or that the Gen-X scenery is perfectly designed).As for misinformation, maybe you should have also mentioned the DisablePreload tweak in those forums. And maybe you should not have gone into hysterics about "sim loading times of days".

Guest allcott

>Hey AllCrock, nobody misinformed anyone. We told him how the>scenery system works. We didn't tell him that FSX is bug free>(or that the Gen-X scenery is perfectly designed).>>As for misinformation, maybe you should have also mentioned>the DisablePreload tweak in those forums. And maybe you>should not have gone into hysterics about "sim loading times>of days". >>The disable preload is NOT a tweak, its a temporary band aid covering a festering sore that goes gangrenous unless surgery is applied. Your absence of thoroughness and exactness in your response is likely to provide a false impression. Or in one word - misinformation. Don't get s bee in your bonnet about the use of the term. There is a difference between misinformation and disinformation. It's not your fault you don't know any better. Clearly ACES don't either, or else this serious issue would have been picked up at pre-release. Given what we are reading from increasing number of scenery developers about the so-called slight differences between FS9 and FSX defeating the compatibility objective and forcing major re-writes for the new sim, the near to mid-term future of FSX addons looked to be the integration of high-resolution photo-scenery, with autogen and/or scenry addons laid on top. Right now, even that appears to be beyond our reach, unless you start loading the sim on Monday for a session the following weekend.I've had to take Gen-X off and put it back in its box. it took 22 minutes to load up FSX with it installed - even when flying in the Bahamas. Yes the disable preload helped, but the load time was still 7 minutes insted of two. The biggest disappointment so far in a what has been nothing but a long list of disappointments called FSX. Allcott

Guest cbeal

I will post this same question on the Horizons forum and provide an update once I have a response from them. I couldn't find a post that specifically answered my questions.As for load times, 22 mins is ridicoulous, 7 mins is on the verge of unacceptable. Does any of the other "tweaks" e.g., defrag, etc., help the load times decrease beyond 7 mins? What are rig specs?C.

Guest JackDanielsDrinker

>The disable preload is NOT a tweak, its a temporary band aid>covering a festering sore that goes gangrenous unless surgery>is applied. Yes it is a tweak. I didn't say it was a fix or nirvana or a pretty bowl filled with porridge and honey. Its a tweak. It helps. It doesn't cure. And your festering, gangrenous sore is taking some people 2-3 minutes to load. Keep up the hyperbole.>Your absence of thoroughness and exactness in your response is>likely to provide a false impression. Or in one word ->misinformation. I said:"The scenery will install and be used in its coverage area. Outside its coverage area, you will see default scenery."and"If the mesh is really global, you will see it everywhere. From what an earlier poster said, the photoscenery will just show up in the UK."I'm talking about what he will SEE. That's it. If you want to chime in about the texture loader issue (and by all means you should), then chime in. Don't come swooping in to accuse me of spreading misinformation. >>Don't get s bee in your bonnet about the use of the term.>There is a difference between misinformation and>disinformation. It's not your fault you don't know any better.>Clearly ACES don't either, or else this serious issue would>have been picked up at pre-release. Your absence of thoroughness and exactness in your response is likely to provide a false impression. Or in one word - misinformation. You imply that ACES--they--"don't" know about it. They do know about it. You were patting Adam on the back in December for acknowledging an issue with the texture loader. It is your fault and you know better. That paragraph is for illustration. That kind of post (and your thoroughness and exactness sanctimony) are the kind of parsing, nit-picking, arrogant prattle we can do without.