Sign in to follow this  
Mace

Upcoming patch better over a clean install?

>>I guess the biggest problem is whether the SP1 patch>>automatically resets the number of installations meter back>to>>zero - frankly,>>How about this: Frankly, I think Microsoft should take>Product Activation, and throw it in Lake Washington. How>'bout them apples?>>>Rhett>>AMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS>A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD>250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian caseThere still seems to be a misunderstanding of how the activation process works. You can install as many times as you want/need to, ON THE SAME SYSTEM, unless you significantly changed hardware (ie: Motherboard). So far I have had to reinstall 5 times due to these false out of memory errors, which occasionally causes an activation error forcing a reinstall, which I haven't had to call home yet. I sure hope Aces took care of this problem in SP1, it is really annoying. Their fix of letting the system handle the page file, just doesn't work. This problem also sometimes affects FS9, but not as often, and of course doesn't cause any activation issues! I think the issue has to do with dual core systems as it only happens on my E6700, I haven't had this happen once with my P4 3.8, but then again I don't use that system as often!!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Guest dwaohio

Do you really have to reinstall or would repair work too. Wouldn't repair take things back to a fresh install without touching third part addons? As I understand it all you would than have to do is remove the your FSX.cfg and than you get a fresh cfg the first time you use FSX. Than you won't have reinstall all third party aircraft, mission, etc. Is my logic right or is there a advantage over uninstalling and reinstalling?

I thought it just made you reactivate after those crashes, not reinstall? I ordered 2 new 320GB drives yesterday to add to my system for backing up my XP and vista OS's so I don't have to reinstall anymore. I'll have a backup image in case something ever gets fubar'd. I haven't even activated fsx on my vista install yet with the problems I had with the blurry textures. I was getting some weird behavior at 3.4ghz so I backed it down to 3.2ghz and the game hasn't crashed with a memory error or exhibited blurry textures since but I haven't really used it that much this week so that may not even have anything to do with it. More testing required before vista is certified as a gaming OS for me. :)________________________________________________________________________________________________Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.20Ghz | 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 | Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 565/900 | Seagate 2x320GB SATA RAID-0 | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW | Matrox Triplehead Setup

Guest abulaafia

Repair will not replace files you have deleted (e.g. aircraft), but only copy existing files form the DVD. It is in fact not a correct "Repair" - unlike the Repair function in many other (MS) products, it does not recreate your initial install. ==Marten:Weber==P-D920 3.3MHz 2GB RAM WinXP ATI X1900+1024MB 2xSATA250 2xVIEWSONIC 19"author of library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=miscmisc&DLID=97317screens on s141.photobucket.com/albums/r45/abulaafia/

>>There still seems to be a misunderstanding of how the>activation process works. No misunderstanding. PA deserves to go into the dustbin of bad computing ideas.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB