Sign in to follow this  
Manny

I HATE DISCORD!

On 8/21/2021 at 1:20 PM, Manny said:

I got there only because they forced me to go for A330. I have no other reason t o go there,

Even then to download Its needs to be simple. A simple Button there.

I take it you haven't flown any multiplayer community flights,  because discord seems to be the standard in that community.   I didn't like the app myself at first.

If you haven't,  there is nothing like community bush flights with a good group.   The banter can be not only very relaxing,  but quite comical.   

I like the guys I fly with,  they are from all over the world and all types of people.  I'm in the US,  and I fly with guys from EU, SA,  and AUS.  I would never have met them without Discord or a similar app.  

It's made me a better sim aviator,  since I have immediate access to several CFI's and even a DC3/787 pilot in the community.   I can ask them questions during flights,  and learn.  You real insights,  beyond forum stuff.

Edited by Waldo Pepper

This does remind me a bit about the angst that went down about MSFS's user interface when it first came out.

Remember all the cries about it being too colorful (as if FSX was not) and thus game-like/childlike, Xbox-kiddie-bait etc, etc.

Lots and lots of hate.

At that time, and now, I suspected strongly that the real issue was that it was unfamiliar, in a community where nothing much ever changed.

Once people had a chance (had no choice) and got accustomed, the cries faded away until now its very rare to hear that particular complaint with any force.

Edited by HiFlyer
  • Like 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

9 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

This does remind me a bit about the angst that went down about MSFS's user interface when it first came out.

Remember all the cries about it being too colorful (as if FSX was not) and thus game-like/childlike, Xbox-kiddie-bait etc, etc.

Lots and lots of hate.

At that time, and now, I suspected strongly that the real issue was that it was unfamiliar, in a community where nothing much ever changed.

I mean,  people don't even need to install it on their pc if they find it so objectionable.  They can put it on a tablet,  or cell phone if so inclined.

20 hours ago, flyinion said:

By selling their Nitro products like stickers emojis etc. they’ve always supposedly intended the base product to be free

Exactly,  I boost the server I fly on.   Boosting a server gives it more privileges beyond a free server,  like better voip or video bandwidth.   Server boost level also affects how long it takes for that specific server's initiation links to expire.   

4 hours ago, swiesma said:

Lol?!

Name a better tool for gaming / communicating. 
Only because some use it the wrong way (for tech support eg which you don’t do in a chat with 500 other members) or you don’t get used to it and still live in 1990 doesn’t make it bad. 

I’m not living in 1990. But discord is. I very much moved from that style 30 years ago but the developers seem to think it’s still ok.  The majority here don’t think so. 

There are plenty of other communication programs without the absurd jungle of chat messages clogging it up. I’ll take a landline before discord. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Once people had a chance (had no choice) and got accustomed, the cries faded away until now its very rare to hear that particular complaint with any force.

I think it's a bit of both, honestly.  Yes, there's a significant contingent amongst flightsimmers who seem to be, shall we say, very conservative when it comes to change.  Anything that's different and pushes them outside of their comfort zone is likely to draw their ire.

But it's also possible to love new and exciting things, and still think Discord is unpleasant to use, especially when it's being applied to solving problems it's really not meant to.   I don't think it's fair to dismiss everyone who dislikes it as being a set-in-their-ways grump, even it if may apply to some.  😁

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Discord gives me the chills.  I hate the awfully designed interface, and I hate people who insist on going over to the app to talk or do anything.  "You can join our Discord server."  Oh no I can't...  

I consider myself technically minded to help run a sit down flight simulator in a different language to my native tongue, yet I absolutely cannot fathom Discord.  

That said, Discord is a far easier place to navigate than the official MSFS forums 😄  Now that is purely the devil's handywork!                              

Edited by Langeveldt
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, kaosfere said:

I think it's a bit of both, honestly.  Yes, there's a significant contingent amongst flightsimmers who seem to be, shall we say, very conservative when it comes to change.  Anything that's different and pushes them outside of their comfort zone is likely to draw their ire.

But it's also possible to love new and exciting things, and still think Discord is unpleasant to use, especially when it's being applied to solving problems it's really not meant to.   I don't think it's fair to dismiss everyone who dislikes it as being a set-in-their-ways grump, even it if may apply to some.  😁

So there are two sorts of people.

Some are reluctant to Discord because they are " shall we say, very conservative" (I suppose that the "shall we say" means borderline senile ?) . Their motivation is  related to the perimeter of their comfort zone. Not cool.  

On the other hand, there is you who also find it unpleasant but, now, for a lot of understandable reasons dictated by common sense and then can't be put with the grumps. Cool. 

Ain't that sweet 😆

Edited by Dominique_K

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Discord is just better than forums when it comes to retrieving information. The search bar is really good and has saved me a ton of time compared to how sensitive searching for topics can be on forums. Is discord better for "discussion"? probably not as most people are not going to reply to something that was discussed hours ago like on a forum however for support and getting information its #1 for me, but I do think there is a place for both to work along side one another.  I think any VA going all in on one or the other is doing themselves a disservice. 

There are some OK Discord servers that are very helpful but they all attract Infantile behaviour and become  littered with kidults who can only express themselves using memes they form toxic little cliques to big each other up and attack newcomers

(something that also happens in forums of course but the admins and mods in many Discord servers seem to also love that toxic millennial style of bad manners and puerile humour so it goes unchecked)

The Official MSFS Discord for example is atrocious

Edited by Pathfinder633
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Pathfinder633 said:

that toxic millennial style of bad manners and puerile humour

Hey, don't be ageist -- bad manners and puerile humor aren't just a millennial thing.   I'm Gen X and I have bad manners and like puerile humor, too.  So take that.  Poop.

[All said with tongue firmly planted in cheek.  Don't take that seriously, please 😁 Except the part about millennials.]

• Upvote 1

Its a great service, you just have to use it more to get used to it 🙂 Its pretty much the modern answer to 90s chat rooms but far more flexible and of course the real beauty is you...anyone....can make their own Discord! 

As @Waldo Pepper said you can make really good friends on there and banter away while gaming. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Pathfinder633 said:

The Official MSFS Discord for example is atrocious

I LOVE Discord but some servers are just blah.....I agree with you on that.

Discord | YouTube | Facebook

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | PNY VERTO OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB | G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 | ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Fractal Design North XL ATX Full Tower Case

Four pages about a chat room....Unreal... How about a debate on the value of oxygen?😉

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

While I'm not a fan of project megapack and their a330 (and the requirement to join discord to download the aircraft which is just a trick to make it look like their server member count is high), discord as a platform is great. I don't understand how anyone could have issues - it's the simplest UI as can be - servers with respective channels. You type there and you get a response within minutes or even seconds. It is curious me how people can't figure out discord while being able to fly complex sim aircraft. This is a very funny thread to read through though.

• Like 1