Sign in to follow this  
Guest mslinklater

Round the world adventure - lost the URL

Guest mslinklater

Hi - I played around with FS9 a couple of years ago and found an internet site where someone had created a huge flightplan where you flew around the continents in different aircraft. There were literally hundreds of flights, all linked up. I remember starting out on this epic journey but never got that far through it. My problem is that I've lost the URL of the website with the flightplan files on and since I've just picked up a copy of FSX I'm wondering if my description rings a bell with anyone here and if the flightplans are available for FSX ?I remember the adventure started on the Falkland islands and started heading north up S.America. I'd love to have a go at flying the routes again but I just can't find any reference to the site.. can anyone help ?Thanks

Guest Stoopy

There are a few of these that I've seen, and I had also made my own for a RTW flight but using the default Baron. A lot of fun to plan.One effort I'm aware of (occasionally involved in actually) that sounds VERY close to what you describe, is an ongoing RTW flight that's flown online, with several pilots all gathering to fly a new leg of the RTW trip en masse on every Sunday. A variety of excellent add-on freeware aircraft are used (largely, Milton Shupe & Co's Howard, Beech, Aero Commander, and others) and by using FSHostClient for FSX, the online pilots are using a mix of either FSX or FS9 as they prefer. The group avergaes about 12-14 friendly and gregarious pilots each Sunday and uses TeamSpeak, with one member performing basic ATC as needed for departure and approach coordination.This sounds very close to what you are describing becuase the first flight originated at the very bottom of South America (actually a small field on Antarctica if I recall correctly) and proceeded to meander up South America, up to North America and then West across the Aleutians. We're on leg #110 now and have worked our way into the Phillipines, after a long stint in Australia using the VOZ scenery. Sightseeing and touching as many corners as possible is the priority over simply making the quickest trip. If this sounds like what you were looking for, it's over at http://www.com-central.net ...if I can "plug" another website here.Only thing is, it's not a completed set of legs yet and may only be 2/3 to halfway through.....and the flights are announced on a weekly basis, with a small download file including flight plans, maps, and a Google Earth KML file to check the flight and terrain out in advance.....so, none of us really know quite yet where we're going next, which makes it all the more interesting!

This is what you are looking for:http://www.dmcity.com/slarty/index.php3RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest 2002cbr600f4i

There's also the yearly RTW race (which just concluded on Wednesday) between AVSim, Flightsim.com and SimOuthouse.com. You can get the routes that we used by reading through the posted threads which contain all the airport codes we stopped at.--Mike

Guest mslinklater

Yes, that's the one - thanks ! I've bookmarked it now 8).Cheers.

Guest radivil

If you are going to fly around the world, plan better than I did! I decided to use the same plane the whole time, like its "mine." And not cheating and using one with monster range. I mean, whats the point of a circumnavigation if you do it in four hops in a 767? So I picked the lowly Maule Orion, reasoning that I can get in and out of anywhere in the world. Slow going, yes, but still fun. I flew out of Pennsylvania, up the Northeast Corridor, to New England, and onto the Maritime provinces. Then onto mighty Labrador.And got stuck in Makkovik, Newfoundland without the legs to get to the nearest field on Greenland! The closest is Narsarsuaq, is 566.5 miles off. It'll take 71.7 gallons of fuel according to the navlog...and the little Orion carries 73. That's cutting things a bit close for me. Its supposed to be four hours, forty-three minutes, which is a lot of flying to watch me go into the drink a few miles off the runway. Oops.Unless I'm just being way too conservative.

>>http://www.dmcity.com/slarty/index.php3>Mmm, happy memories of that - it actually got me flying instead of spending all night reading the forums :) I think Dean shows up here from time to time. Last I heard of Cap'n Slarty was that he was on a sailboat going round the world rather more slowly.--Bryn

Yes, I remember you from the RTW Buzz. I think it was the first RTW in flight sim.I am still Buzz pilot #6.I saw some remote places in the FS world on those flights that I have never visited since.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest mslinklater

I installed the first pack last night and it seems the flight plan install procedure is different from FS2004. The flight plans show up but they don't include the setup of the particular aircraft etc. Whilst not the end of the world, is there a way to install the HRW packs and get them to work properly with FSX ?Thanks.