Sign in to follow this  
JYW

ATC Voices - non-Azure, regional variations possible?

Hi folks,

Firstly, I really don't know anything about Azure or the text-to-speech system in MSFS, so forgive me if this is a stupid question!

Is it possible to use the "offline" text-to-speech for ATC, using voice sets installed on my PC, in order to get different accents for the ATC?

In other words, my PC has a number of voice pack installed with Windows, EG.... "British George" etc.  Is there any way to use these for the ATC?

TIA.

Edited by JYW
The usual post-post spotted typos.

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

10 minutes ago, JYW said:

Hi folks,

Firstly, I really don't know anything about Azure of the text-to-speech system in MSFS, so forgive me if this is a stupid question!

Is it possible to use the "offline" text-to-speech for ATC, using voice sets installed on my PC, in order to get different accents for the ATC?

In other words, my PC has a number of voice pack installed with Windows, EG.... "British George" etc.  Is there any way to use these for the ATC?

TIA.

I believe there are 3rd party ATC programs that allow you to do this, but I have not heard of anyone getting that to work with the default ATC.  I've just started investigating this kind of thing myself, not necessarily for different accents, but because the internal ATC is so borked right now.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sigwolf said:

I believe there are 3rd party ATC programs that allow you to do this, but I have not heard of anyone getting that to work with the default ATC.  I've just started investigating this kind of thing myself, not necessarily for different accents, but because the internal ATC is so borked right now.

PF3 does the best in regards to using regional voices. It has a ton of voice options. Currently I use Pilot2Atc as there is nothing better than actually speaking the phraseology out loud. Even if your kids look at you funny.

Edited by airplaneguru84
  • Like 1

i9 10850K, RTX3080, MSFS.

My avsim uploads      Myflightsim.to uploads

I thought the MS Azure team were working this. It would add a fantastic level of immersion.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, airplaneguru84 said:

PF3 does the best in regards to using regional voices. It has a ton of voice options. Currently I use Pilot2Atc as there is nothing better than actually speaking the phraseology out loud. Even if your kids look at you funny.

Those are the two most likely ones to which my research has led.  I'd actually prefer to *not* speak out loud to use it (mainly because my wife would look at me funny 😁).  Is P2A completely dependent on that, or can it be used with a keyboard interface?  Most videos I've seen seem to focus on the user voice features.  I believe both have trial versions, but I haven't set aside the time to experiment with them yet.

• Like 1

PF3 has over 100 voices, many aimed at the region where you are flying. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 hour ago, Sigwolf said:

Those are the two most likely ones to which my research has led.  I'd actually prefer to *not* speak out loud to use it (mainly because my wife would look at me funny 😁).  Is P2A completely dependent on that, or can it be used with a keyboard interface?  Most videos I've seen seem to focus on the user voice features.  I believe both have trial versions, but I haven't set aside the time to experiment with them yet.

You can have P2ATC speak for you.

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

49 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

PF3 has over 100 voices, many aimed at the region where you are flying. 

I agree Bob,

I have PF3 and I would highly recommend to take a good look at it. There is a demo too!  The developer (Dave March) is always there to help at his support forms and the program is constantly being updated as well.  Well worth the $$$ to me.

• Like 1

don't loose your time with MSFS ATC , use pilot2ATC with IVONA voices. is the best ATC for MSFS

• Like 1

You can import more windows voices into Pilot2ATC, there are some videos on YT on how to do this.

3 hours ago, bloxboy said:

You can import more windows voices into Pilot2ATC, there are some videos on YT on how to do this.

yes i know but iVONA ones has better quality than windows ones 🙂

5 hours ago, motishow said:

don't loose your time with MSFS ATC , use pilot2ATC with IVONA voices. is the best ATC for MSFS

And get ready to spend some money just buying a couple of voices. Around $40 for each voice. As I said, PF3 comes with over 100 voices. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Cheers folks.

I tried setting my Windows Text-to-speech voice to a different set (the delectable Microsoft Hazel (United Kingdom)).  But when turning ATC to "Offline" in MSFS, it just igonres that and goes ahead and plays the bog standard US male voice (Microsoft Mike, I believe). 😁

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)