Sign in to follow this  
sightseer

REALIST ROADS IN FSX? Look Again!

>>Where was the screenshot taken? What coordinates, or near>>what city/town? I've tried flying around a handful of>>different locations on the west coast of Italy and can't>find>>any areas which have that amount of road detail,>particularly>>the minor roads which can be seen in your screenshot. >>Unfortunately I cannot remember exactly where. I did not label>the pics with the names of their exact locations (next time I>will). But for sure, it is somewhere in Europe I was jumping>placed just for a quick exploration. Sorry for that!>>dito>Using Shift+Z to get your coordinates onscreen (and including in the screenshot) is very helpful.-Doug

One possibility would be the requested local terrain.cfg file. You could create more specific road textures which would include not just the road surface, but a certain amount of terrain along the road. For an urban road it might include just the buildings/vegetation right along the road. In more rural settings it could include some additional green space. you would still have the issue of the boundary between the road texture and the landclass texture. You would also have to have seasonal / night variants.scott s..

>Mostly, the graininess seems caused by the land texture>detail box being checked in the sim. This graininess was>deliberately introduced in earlier versions to give a better>sense of depth and contrast to the textures, at the lower>resolution possible them. >But at 2m or above resolution FSX doesn't need them, but there>are compromises - the checkbox also seems to control the>yellow lines at airports for example - they appear white when>the box isn't checked.>>Try it and see if the graininess goes.>>>>Allcottthanks very much for the tip! It looks alot better without all that graininess but the taxiway/parkingmarkings do suffer a bit. can't have everything...where would you put it (-:

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

Guest Phantoms

>To make photoreal scenery of the entire earth, with the>desired accuracy, with monthly textural changes ( yes, it's>monthly now for photoreal ), and all the autogen needed, is>impossible.>>Impossible.>>Maybe in 10 years, such a thing can be done. Our computers doI have a feeling that FS may be moving to a virtual world such as MS Virtual Earth. In fact, I'm pretty sure they have talked about something just such as this. Whether it's feasible by the time a FS11 comes out or not, I don't know.

Guest ditopilot

"The problem can be solved by using photoreal scenery."Great suggestion. However while photoreal scenery looks great from above (Top-down view) looks baren while on the ground...dito

I don't think you've seen any good photoreal. Photoreal can place any texture on the ground with up to 7cm/pixel resolution. The textures are usually better than the default, and can be annotated with all the autogen you like. In fact, the textures can be anything you like. If you find a full seasonal set of aerial photos, it can mimic photograghic scenery.It occurs to me now, this is another "complaint" thread, with no foundation in reality. FSX is far better than FS9, FS2002, CFS2, FS2000... in it's ability to display ground texturing, and far better than any other flight sim currently available.Dick

photoreal textures with well placed autogen make for one great flying experience.Fightscenery is a great example. Horizon VFR England and walesare doing an autogen package and the screenshots look great.I've ordered it. I probably shouldn't have but I couldnt resist.Apparently it takes 66gigs for a full install of just the photo textures (for all 3 volumes) but its going to be great with the autogen addon. The system requirements lead me to believe that Ican install at a lower resolution which is what I'll need to do for now.Does anyone know if Horizon VFR has seasons? the demo makes it hard to tell.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.