Sign in to follow this  
chickster25

What is the best CPU for MSFS?

Hi, I know this has probably been asked a load of time already, but as MSFS is a moving target, what CPU is best for the game?

Intel i9-10900KF 3.7GHz 10 core, 20 thread

Intel i9-10900 3.7GHz 10 core BOX

Intel i9-11900 3.5GHz 8 core, 16 thread

The 11900 is the later version but the 10900 has a faster clock speed and more cores. Im not sure that MSFS uses all the cores currently, but would DX12 make a difference to this? I also plan to run Air Hauler 2, which would run at the same time as MSFS, so would extra cores help with assigning different programs to them?

Thanks

Edited by chickster25

Among those 3, the 11900. If you also have to change the MB to upgrade, Ryzen 5900X.

DX12 may make a difference or not, I doubt the sim will ever be able to use more than 16 threads efficiently anyway.

Edited by MrFuzzy
  • Like 2

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

The Xbox is 8 core so you would imagine any core optimisation would factor that in but with additional apps in the background, 10 core isn’t a bad shout. Newer cpus are typically still the better bet though when you want as much performance per core as you can muster. 

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

Just a note:  Instructions per cycle (IPC) is also important.  Some of these newer processors, generation on generation, are showing significant IPC gains per core at the same GHz, around 17% for the latest Intel generation I believe.

That would make a 5.1 GHz processor behave like a 6 GHz (roughly, and without other limiting factors taken into account).

I will wait for the next generation now (12 series) to see the benchmarks.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Whatever you decide cooling should be your major focus. Without it many of these CPUs will just throttle down. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

Basically the 11900 uses a lot of new tech that was meant for the 10nm chips so has better IPC but to shoehorn that in at 14nm they had to drop a few cores as it was getting too big and too hot.

Overall the 11900 is a smidgeon faster. Not enough to bother upgrading if you already have a 9900 or 10900  as the improvement is minimal and the 11900 does not fit the old motherboards.

However if you are buying new the 11900 is the current top choice in Intel.

Note for MSFS even a 10700 or 11700 is probably fine.

• Like 1

You guys think there would be any noticeable improvement in upgrading my i9-9900K?

Discord | YouTube | Facebook

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | PNY VERTO OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB | G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 | ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Fractal Design North XL ATX Full Tower Case

Im using a GTX1660 Ti and my motherboard wont allow for anything better, so I will be replacing the whole lot.

With prices sky-high I dont know whether to wait for the next generation, even to see if it pushes the prices down for this top end generation kit.

When is the next-gen due? 2022?

10 minutes ago, iFlySimX said:

You guys think there would be any noticeable improvement in upgrading my i9-9900K?

The 11900 benchmarks 15% to 30% faster single core but that will not translate to more than a third of that in game.

I doubt you will see much in game for what it will cost, considering you are replacing the CPU, the Motherboard and potentially the RAM as well if you want to use the DDR4 3200 that an 11900 can handle that is a lot of money for maybe a 5% frame rate improvement in game.  At best you may go from say 45 FPS to low 50s with a few less stutters,  not really worth $US500 .

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 3

5800x or 5900x without a doubt.  I actually think they are overkill for MSFS as my 12 core 5900x has yet to hit 25% usage.

Regards

bs

Edited by bean_sprout

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

Very happy here with my AMD, after a few decades using Intel's CPU.
Rock solid and stable in all circumstances.

• Like 1

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

I'm about the point of spec'ing a new PC entirely and was leaning to Intel 11900 instead of AMD as I got the impression the AMD was only really better when all those cores were efficiently used. Maybe in future MSFS will do that but for now isn't the intel individual thread performance better? Happy to be wrong here - AMD is cheaper too I believe.

Varjo Aero, Zotac 3090, i9-12900K, 32GB Ram, RX Viper Rudder Pedals, AuthentiKit Controls + Fulcrum Yoke

atk-logo-354.jpg

6 minutes ago, Spit40 said:

I'm about the point of spec'ing a new PC entirely and was leaning to Intel 11900 instead of AMD as I got the impression the AMD was only really better when all those cores were efficiently used. Maybe in future MSFS will do that but for now isn't the intel individual thread performance better? Happy to be wrong here - AMD is cheaper too I believe.

Possibly but my CPU can't stretch its legs because the 3060Ti is usually maxed. (GPU bound)

bs

Edited by bean_sprout

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

Ryzen is making Intel a second choice. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

17 minutes ago, Spit40 said:

The 5000 Ryzen are at least on the same Level Single Core. 
And they are miles better multicore. 

I did not spend a single thought on intel when I recently replace my 6700k