Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

Orbx Alaska Mesh released

19 minutes ago, The Moose said:

Flew from Skagway down to PAJN and the difference was immediately noticeable.  Very impressive close up.  As usual stills and even vids don't do it justice,

Arriving at Juneau to find it had had a makeover was the icing on the cake!  That was worth the £8 alone,

I did a video two years ago of a flight from Juneau to Skagway with the Orbx Sth Alaska+PAJN if you want to see the difference 😄 ! 

By the way, can you get summer textures in Juneau/Skagway or is it covered with snow ? 

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

1 hour ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

It is pretty simple really:

•  if you bush bash, skim the ridge tops and intend to land in the mountain lakes in a floaty you will see a massive difference and it is worth every cent of it.
  • If on the other hand your intent is to fly over it at 20,000 feet, cruising at 170 knots on AP and gawk at the scenery - forget it. not worth your money.

Unless someone enjoys bush flying and simply doesn't want to spend the money or storage space for it.  It's not like skimming ridge tops and landing on mountain lakes in the default sim area is some horrible misshapen mess.  😁

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Twenty6 said:

Don't know why he spent so much time flying over snow in the 2nd video.

Is flight sim snow the same depth all over everywhere? No dumping a drift on the leeward side of a ridge or on the driveway in front of my garage door?

Does Orbx still offer the 20% discount to old people?

Clear skies. No snow depth added. It's Alaska!  At higher altitudes, there will be snow on mountain peaks. 

I'll do another video, but of just the mesh. 

In the end, if you personally cannot see the difference, which there are, then don't buy it. Those that do, will enjoy the better views. 😎

• Like 1

Check out my YouTube channel for MSFS news, preview, reviews, showcases and community events! I stream Mon & Wed nights at 7PM ET / 11PM GMT and most Fridays at 11AM ET / 3PM GMT. Come join the chat or fly with me in one of the weekly community flights which alternates between military and general aviation.

1 hour ago, Sigwolf said:

Unless someone enjoys bush flying and simply doesn't want to spend the money or storage space for it.  It's not like skimming ridge tops and landing on mountain lakes in the default sim area is some horrible misshapen mess.  😁

I am with you here. I have been landing on mountain lakes at an average of 14 000 feet for the past few days and not in Alaska 😄. MFS offers a lot of bush flying in mountainous terrain if you look for it where it is in South America, Central Asia, Africa etc. 

When I purchased MFS, I was expecting that flying my old bush grounds would be a treat (PNW, Alaska, Central Australia, PNG). It sure is but.... I don't fly there much. Too busy discovering new bush worlds !   

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Not a massive difference - you could argue either is right and either is wrong.

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

Now I really need to finish this paint!

f57Ie5.jpg

Real world events have slowed me down, but I'll get her done!  The DC6 was made for Alaska flying. 🙂

• Like 10

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Wow $9.43 US.

Prices for most MSFS add-ons are ridiculously low, at these price points, MSFS add-on echo system will be quite affordable, unlike P3D.

• Like 2

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

2 hours ago, CarlosF said:

Wow $9.43 US.

Prices for most MSFS add-ons are ridiculously low, at these price points, MSFS add-on echo system will be quite affordable, unlike P3D.

Which compensates somewhat for the fact that I am re-buying a lot of items that I already owned in P3D.  🙂

• Like 2

Bert

18 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Which compensates somewhat for the fact that I am re-buying a lot of items that I already owned in P3D.  🙂

Groundhog day for the wallet Bert!

tpewpb-6.png

9 hours ago, CarlosF said:

Wow $9.43 US.

Yes and no. I bought the Pilot’s excellent world mesh in 2013 for about 70 EUR if memory serves me well. Compared to that , the Alaska mesh is relatively expensive.

• Like 2

Dominique

11 hours ago, CarlosF said:

Wow $9.43 US.

Forgive me if my geography or number of US states is wrong,  but $10 per state, times 50 states if they do the whole USA is $500 just for the USA?

Based on the (relatively to my mind) difference based on the fact that MSFS base is far far above what previous sims had, is to my mind, not a good financial option FOR ME even though I do fly in that area a fair amount.

Graham

• Like 3

System specs...   CPU AMD5950,  GPU AMD6900XT,  ROG crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, Corsair 64 gig LPX 3600 mem, Air cooling on GPU,   Kraken x pump cooling on CPU.  Samsung G7 curved 27" monitor at 2k resolution ULTRA default settings.

11 hours ago, Steve Dra said:

Now I really need to finish this paint!

Unless I'm mistaken, this livery is already available (at the usual site).

Poor plane ... I really have to try and land a DC-6 at Candle 2. I went for a check in a Cub and I think it can be done, the terrain is flat enough even though MSFS does not know it as an airfield. But it's neither long or wide, it should be interesting ...

5 hours ago, Haddock31 said:

Unless I'm mistaken, this livery is already available (at the usual site).

There is.....I'm creating one with details not included on the one available.😉

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Will this product be available on the marketplace? I couldn't find it.

Regards 

bs

Edited by bean_sprout

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER