Sign in to follow this  
xoddahs

Reality XP update removed airports from Garmin 430/530

2 minutes ago, RXP said:

It will install a 1607 AIRAC cycle which is more recent than stock DB. If you're already manually overriding the stock DB file, you might want to opt-out this option.

Does it sounds clearer?

No, that is still misleading... Try:  Warning: If you wish to keep your smaller airports, you should not install this.

Bert

I want to thanks all of you in this topic. I assume all of this apply to the Reality XP GTN 750/650 as well which I recently bought. I only use it for in simulators airplanes I flew in real life and real airports.

Nighthawk

@nighthawk

the best information about this is here:

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/aviationalerts/service-advisory-1604-worldwide-navigation-database/

Beginning with Cycle 1602 (effective February 4, 2016) Garmin will begin restricting the number of airports included on the Worldwide Navigation Database, based on the length of the longest runway.  Heliports and Airports that do not contain a runway of greater than 4000 feet will be excluded from the Worldwide Navigation Database.  All associated data with excluded airports (communication frequencies, approaches, runways, etc.) will also be excluded.

NOTE

Regionalized versions of the navigation database (Americas, USA, Europe, International, etc.) are not affected.

Products affected: all Garmin GTN 6XX/7XX, GNS 400W/500W, and G500/600 systems using the Worldwide Navigation Database are also affected.

In other words, what you get in the simulated units is exactly the same as what you'd get in a real aircraft with a real unit.

• Like 1

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

If you want to go back to the navdata you were using previously, try this:

1. Go to Windows Control Panel, System Properties, Advanced, Environment Variables

2. See if you can find an entry like GNSDBFILE or GNSADBFILE and delete it

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 2

Bert

On 10/17/2021 at 6:50 AM, nighthawk said:

I want to thanks all of you in this topic. I assume all of this apply to the Reality XP GTN 750/650 as well which I recently bought. I only use it for in simulators airplanes I flew in real life and real airports.

As stated above:

Regional GNS databases do include the shorter runways.

Also, the GTN database that comes with the current GTN trainer, does include the shorter runways.

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1

Bert

I'm not very adept in programming. I'm like Xoddah "I am not knowledgeable when it comes to things like Windows environment variables."

I too have lost many of my smaller airports including two favorite SoCal ones, Santa Paula and Catalina. When I try "Direct to" in my GNS530 it can't find them. I'd like very much to have them back but I don't want to mess anything up.

Should I enable the Jepp and Garmin db's contained in readme referenced by Jean-Luc above to restore my old airports? If so how?

If I follow the directions in Bert's post of October 18th will that restore my smaller airports or are there others steps to do? I found a GNSADBFILE in my System Properties.

Edited by mslim
updated post

7 hours ago, mslim said:

I'm not very adept in programming. I'm like Xoddah "I am not knowledgeable when it comes to things like Windows environment variables."

I too have lost many of my smaller airports including two favorite SoCal ones, Santa Paula and Catalina. When I try "Direct to" in my GNS530 it can't find them. I'd like very much to have them back but I don't want to mess anything up.

Should I enable the Jepp and Garmin db's contained in readme referenced by Jean-Luc above to restore my old airports? If so how?

If I follow the directions in Bert's post of October 18th will that restore my smaller airports or are there others steps to do? I found a GNSADBFILE in my System Properties.

It should not be smaller airports themselves that would be missing, it is instead instrument procedures for shorter runways.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I've got pix that show KAVX does not exist on my GNS530V2. Is there a way to post them here?

I'm pleased to report that Bert's suggestion to delete the GNSADBFILE solved my problem and reinstated all my smaller airports

• Like 1

The non technical explanation, is that the latest RXP update introduced an address pointer to point to a different location for the navdata (the 2016 navdata).   If you delete this pointer, the GNS looks for the navdata in the old location where it finds whatever navdata you were using previously.

• Like 2

Bert

21 hours ago, fppilot said:

It should not be smaller airports themselves that would be missing, it is instead instrument procedures for shorter runways.

Actually, the smaller airports are indeed missing.  I usually check for my local airstrip CAM3 as a test.. 😉

Bert

We're preparing a new update where the option will be opted-out by default, instead of opted-in, and we'll also include a DB which doesn't strip out the smaller airfields (AIRAC 1513 that was included with GTN Trainer 6.1).

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

On 10/3/2021 at 11:12 PM, RXP said:

Missing UK Airports that I've noticed so far are: 

EGKA Shoreham (my home airport) So really gutted- This is a big GA flight centre as well, so do not quite understand when other smaller airports are still on the data base.

Also so far:

EGPT Perth/Scone

EGPG Cumbernauld 

Tried rolling back as you suggested, no luck. 

Thanks

On 10/3/2021 at 11:12 PM, RXP said:
On 9/9/2021 at 8:43 PM, RXP said:

Can anyone give me some examples of missing airports?

Also, by default it uses the WW DB 006-d0170-00.bin, but if you're in the US, what about editing the environment variable and use instead:

C:\ProgramData\Reality XP\Common\GnsTrainer\dbfiles\006-d0170-30.bin

45 minutes ago, Neil Banks said:

How can we get the old db back?

I believe it is explained a few posts up in this topic.