Sign in to follow this  
xoddahs

Reality XP update removed airports from Garmin 430/530

I installed the latest Reality XP update which apparently included a database update for the Garmin 430/530.  The update said it would configure "aviation DB 1607 via GNSDBFILE env. var."  There are now many airports missing from this version, and I cannot seem to go back to the earlier version I had (2015) which had all airports.  I have replaced the BMAP.bin and worldwide.bin files in the Garmin/GNS trainer/GNS/db folder with my original BMAP and worldwide bin files, but it makes no difference.  Has anyone else run into this problem?  I'm wondering if there is some other file that is causing this, and if so how I can get back to my older database.

This appears to have happened to me as well.  And I am adept at keeping my worldwide.bin file updated.  I was concerned about this as the update description sounded a bit ominous in this regard,

It appears that the recent update modified the file and location, perhaps into the program data RXP path with a different file specification.  in my case:
C:\ProgramData\Reality XP\Common\GnsTrainer\dbfiles

If this cannot be overcome then I will wish to rollback to the previous release. 

I have not installed the GTN update yet and will hold off on installing it.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

3 hours ago, xoddahs said:

I'm wondering if there is some other file that is causing this, and if so how I can get back to my older database.

It appears this worked for me.  Take your previous more current worldwide.bin file and put it in the folder I referenced above in my earlier message.

Then rename this file in that folder to some other name:  
006-d0170-00.bin     .bin         15,776,116           6/14/2016

Then rename worldwide.bin to that name: 006-d0170-00.bin

Be deliberate in what you do as there are two .bin files in that folder.  The one to replace is the larger one.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Had same issue in X-Plane/Win10.  In that case, the installer will add a windows environment variable ""GNSADBFILE", pointing to bin. The variable will override the database location. Deleting that variable fixed it. So perhaps it is similar situation on Flight Sim?

My memory may be failing me but I believe that somewhere around that time (AIRAC 1607) Garmin had to exclude smaller runways (like less than 4,000 ft or so) from the worldwide database due to file size limitations. Those smaller airports remained in regional databases.

I'm not sure if that may be your issue.

David Porrett

1 hour ago, DavidP said:

My memory may be failing me but I believe that somewhere around that time (AIRAC 1607) Garmin had to exclude smaller runways (like less than 4,000 ft or so) from the worldwide database due to file size limitations. Those smaller airports remained in regional databases.

I'm not sure if that may be your issue.

That indeed is the case, but from a just-out-of-date standpoint what has been available among users has included all of the regions and that allows a choice.  Just have to position the one that is best.  That is why I suggested he replace the file that is in the new location with the worldwide.bin file he was previously finding satisfactory,  Just have to name it from worldwide.bin to match the new filename. 

When flying a different region the same file replacement and renaming applies.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
ASUS 

fppilot, that was the trick - renamed my original worldwide.bin and placed it where you indicated.  All my airports are back.  I do not have any kind of programming background, so I am word not allowed when it comes to things like Windows environment variables.  I now understand that in this case it does a redirect to the newer database file, but I'm not sure why it's done that way.  In any case, it worked, and I am very appreciative.

My database, as I previously said, is from 2015.  Is there a newer one available that anyone knows of?

In my last post, I meant to say "I am word not allowed when it comes to things like Windows environment variables."  Not sure how that got garbled.

word not allowed!  I'll try again -  "I am not knowledgeable when it comes to things like Windows environment variables."

Stupid autocorrect - didn't know it was on. It didn't allow me to use the word "word not allowed".

On 9/3/2021 at 10:51 AM, RXP said:
  • It is an option you can opt-out.

IMHO, perhaps make it default to opt-in, instead of opt-out?

It seems users are more likely to be negatively impacted by breaking changes (e.g. airfield removal).

If users have been awaiting a new database, they are more likely to be on the lookout for it, and actively seek it out ( i.e. opt-in).

Just my .02

• Like 1

Can anyone give me some examples of missing airports?

Also, by default it uses the WW DB 006-d0170-00.bin, but if you're in the US, what about editing the environment variable and use instead:

C:\ProgramData\Reality XP\Common\GnsTrainer\dbfiles\006-d0170-30.bin

Edited by RXP

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

On 9/3/2021 at 7:51 AM, RXP said:
  • It will install a 1607 AIRAC cycle which is more recent than any other custom or stock DB with an earlier AIRAC (and therefore potentially having different, less or more information than what you were used to in the case you were already manually overwriting the stock DB file(s))

I'm looking for any suggestion which will help making this clearer.

This is actually misleading... If you were running with the previous default, you would have a 2009 WW database with small airports included.   The 2016 database excludes smaller airports, as best I know.

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1

Bert

@Bert Pieke I'm sorry to ask but I don't understand: what is misleading ?!!

I'm just saying if you use the 1607 DB, you could end up having more, or less, or same, than any DB you might be already using. I can see the wording is confusing though, and I'd welcome any suggestion to make it clearer. (not easy to cram the whole idea in a few words here?!).

Besides, I'd really like to get some examples, so that I can try finding which next best DB could be used instead in the installer for example:

On 9/9/2021 at 3:43 PM, RXP said:

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

On 9/9/2021 at 12:43 PM, RXP said:

I typically use my home airstrip CAM3 for the test.

• Like 1

Bert

3 minutes ago, RXP said:

I'm sorry to ask but I don't understand: what is misleading ?!!

You make it sound as if you only lose airports if "you were already manually overwriting the stock DB file(s))"

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

It will install a 1607 AIRAC cycle which is more recent than stock DB. If you're already manually overriding the stock DB file, you might want to opt-out this option.

Does it sounds clearer?

Edited by RXP