Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

We've become step children...

I suppose some of you also got the notice that Orbx has released mesh for Alaska for MSFS.  I would like such a mesh for Alaska myself for the simulator I have already filled with over 3,000 dollars worth of Orbx scenery.  I feel betrayed.  Has Orbx abandoned those of us who have not been baptized and converted to MSFS?  FSX and P3D and X-Plane got Orbx to where it is now.  But the shiny new object and flashing skirt has redirected their attention.

I understand the finances and the follow the money but certainly a bit of loyalty to those who made Orbx what it is today shouldn't be abandoned.

Don't tell me to send this to Orbx.  I am not allowed to post anything over there.  I've been banned for several years now and it looks like a lifetime ban.  But I remain a loyal customer and have purchased every scenery for FSX and P3D to date.  I would like to get more but I am not jumping on the MSFS wagon.  I'm too old to start over again.  How about it JV?  How about some crumbs for the step children left behind?

Noel
Edited by birdguy
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 3

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Interesting. I just took a glance at the 2021 roadmap over at Orbx, and while there is an obvious (and understandable) focus on the new sim, I also saw a generous number of projects for other sims as well.......? https://forum.orbxdirect.com/topic/206666-what-were-working-on-orbx-2021-roadmap/

• Like 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

JV ...... in semi retirement sadly .

2 hours ago, birdguy said:
I understand the finances and the follow the money but certainly a bit of loyalty to those who made Orbx what it is today shouldn't be abandoned.

Orbx have never made mesh products before, preferring to recommend Pilot's mesh as the standard for their products. Of course, the North American regions all contain mesh, including Southern Alaska. The point that you are trying to make is clear but on this occasion, you are backing the wrong horse. You will most likely already have all the mesh that you need among your three thousand dollars of products. Maybe you even have a copy of Freemesh X. 
So in brief, you don't need it.

3 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

I also saw a generous number of projects for other sims as well.......? 

I've been waiting for years for Southern Rockies which was on the roadmap years ago.  Also Nice.  I see they are missing.  We may get a couple of airports but not much to expand on what was left behind.  What's on the roadmap this year might not still be on the roadmap next year.  But I'll be thankful for any crumbs we do get.

From Dicken's Oliver Twist.  "Please sir, may I have some more?"

Noel

• Like 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

7 minutes ago, birdguy said:

I've been waiting for years for Southern Rockies which was on the roadmap years ago.

I remember JV replying to me at least a decade ago about releasing Hawaii (which at the time was supposedly right around the corner) and look at how long it took..... (and I don't even think it's all that good)

And that was before MSFS2020 was even a dream

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

8 minutes ago, Reader said:

Orbx have never made mesh products before,

How about Mesh for New Guinea and Australia?  I installed it from Orbx.

You are right of course.  But when I got that e-mail notice this morning it just rubbed me the wrong way that everything is for MSFS and we who are satisfied with the sims we already have are being left behind.

Noel

Noel, the new mesh for MSFS isn't that impressive. You aren't missing a thing. The only thing that made the purchase vaguely worthwhile was the inclusion of PAJN, and my senior discount.

The link I sent you for the Toposim Ultra Mesh Alaska is far superior.

Sue

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks Sue.  You're a sweetheart always helping me out.

Noel

ORBX supported FSX/P3D for literal decades.  To your mind, how long should they beholden to antiquated technology?  How does buying past products entitle you to future ones?  What rationale ‘for profit’ company would continue to invest and sell products for a dwindling market?  Your entire notion is misplaced…

• Like 1

Matt King

ORBX has almost gone full "corporate" and is all about the money.  I'm just waiting for them to list on the Australia stock exchange.  10$ for terrain mesh for a single U.S. State?  Wow.  It wasn't too long ago that they were developing high-res mesh for the whole world for around $60.

Having said all that, I do understand that ORBX is, after all, a business and exists primarily to make a profit.  That's fine.  I just ask them not to forget all of us little flightsim folks who got them to where they are. 

They are, supposedly, still developing for P3D.  They claim that openLC scenery is in development, albeit far behind schedule, which is par for the course with ORBX.  We'll see.  I hope they don't completely abandon us P3D people because they do indeed make some nice scenery.

Dave

• Upvote 1

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end. 

ORBX is a business and must do what they have to do to keep their business alive.  I am sure they have bills and employees to pay. You said it yourself, They are following the money. Loyalty for the small and diminishing  group that has stayed fsx/P3d, does not pay the bills. 

I, myself, are part of the problem.  I have invested heavily in FSX and P3d over the years, but I have to admit, I have not purchased anything for P3D in almost 2 years now.  I, along with a lot of others, have been waiting for the next gen fight simulator. Although, MSFS 2020 has its issues, am hopeful that when it matures, It will be. 

My wallet is ready for all the new addons like PMDG, etc. for MSFS. 

• Like 1

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

5 hours ago, dave2013 said:

It wasn't too long ago that they were developing high-res mesh for the whole world for around $60.

This is simply not true.

Edited by Reader

Loyalty for what?  They delivered a product in the past, we paid for it in the past.  It's now the present and they are looking to the future so as a business they can pay their bills.  This concept of "loyalty" as it is called is quite laughable really.  They are after all in it for the money which means they aren't going to dedicate resources which are a cost for a project with negative return or no revenue.  

Essentially you are asking them to take a financial loss as a company for loyalty to past customers. When you think about it without emotion and approach it from their business/revenue perspective that is a ridiculous ask.  I paid $3000 for a TV 10 years ago too, the manufacturer doesn't care if it is now obsolete, they want to sell me a new one.  Why would a flight sim add-on business be run any different.  After fighting slowing/stalling sales numbers they finally have something to re-ignite their revenue stream and people are asking them to go back out of emotion.  Emotion doesn't run a business. 

I've invested thousands in FS9 and P3D, doesn't mean I expected vendors to base their business decisions on my prior investments.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg