Sign in to follow this  
Tuskin38

Gamescom 2021 Teasers

19 minutes ago, DylanM said:

And that's a big source of the frustration - many issues didn't exist initially (so we know what the engine is capable of delivering) but were introduced in subsequent builds and updates. Really does cry for better release management and QA, and hopefully we'll get it now that the xbox release is complete. 

That's spot-on and the only reason I bring up these complaints often. Also it doesn't seem that the regressions that took place before Sim Update 5 had any noticeable impact on performance. On the contrary, in order to hide them as much as possible, you need to turn up the LOD sliders way up to the point that performance is much worse.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ADamiani said:

You mean that your copy of MSFS was faulty since the beginning and didn't look better than now?

Mine looked MUCH better. It was also more memory hungry (both MB RAM and VRAM), and less fluid.

So it was totally different. And the devs know that because they are going to restore those pistons ... sorry, that graphics quality.

Or at least that's what they promised. For the moment they have only acknowledged the regression.

We will see.

A.

Not really 

I’ve got a beefy rig so run with full ultra in 2D but mostly VR.

I noticed a difference in SU5 but it’s pretty minor.  The popping that everyone moans about is not that big a deal.  And the next sim update is fixing that so there is that.  I’ve got more of an issue with reflections in VR since the update but even that isn’t ruining my day. I actually welcome all the extra processor headroom so they can continue to add new features and I can load in scenery detail to my hearts content without worrying about FPS impact.

If we need to use the Ferrari analogy it’s more like someone pulled out the floor matts and have promised to put them back next week.  Car still runs pretty great in the meantime.

Edited by VFXSimmer

39 minutes ago, VFXSimmer said:

Not really 

I’ve got a beefy rig so run with full ultra in 2D but mostly VR.

I noticed a difference in SU5 but it’s pretty minor.  The popping that everyone moans about is not that big a deal.  And the next sim update is fixing that so there is that.  I’ve got more of an issue with reflections in VR since the update but even that isn’t ruining my day. I actually welcome all the extra processor headroom so they can continue to add new features and I can load in scenery detail to my hearts content without worrying about FPS impact.

If we need to use the Ferrari analogy it’s more like someone pulled out the floor matts and have promised to put them back next week.  Car still runs pretty great in the meantime.

This is your view and I respect it. My view (and that of many others) is different, and I think it deserves the same respect. 

Is it really necessary to start with "Not really" ? Maybe saying "My experience is different" would sound more relaxed. Your opinions are not the absolute truth.

Also, "The popping that everyone moans about" doesn't sound very kind, and maybe the popping is not a big deal to you. To me it is, because from my point of view it destroys the immersion. I do not agree on the floor matts metaphor; to me it is an important issue. Again, it's about personal preferences.

Finally: rest assured that my days are so full of interesting things that MSFS cannot ruin any of it.

A.

Edited by ADamiani
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, ADamiani said:

This is your view and I respect it. My view (and that of many others) is different, and I think it deserves the same respect. 

Is it really necessary to start with "Not really" ? Maybe saying "My experience is different" would sound more relaxed. Your opinions are not the absolute truth.

Also, "The popping that everyone moans about" doesn't sound very kind, and maybe the popping is not a big deal to you. To me it is, because from my point of view it destroys the immersion. I do not agree on the floor matts metaphor; to me it is an important issue. Again, it's about personal preferences.

Finally: rest assured that my days are so full of interesting things that MSFS cannot ruin any of it.

A.

You are right.  You are generally pretty respectful in your posts and do deserve respectful answers.  For that i do apologize.

My snark was/is directed to those who lack a degree of respect which is fairly typical on anonymous internet forums.  It simply amazes me that anyone can be so dismissive towards a company that is delivering a flight simulation experience the likes of which I could only dream about in the MS Flight Sim II days on a Commodore 64.  "Looking a gift horse in the mouth" is the best phrase to describe the way I feel when I hear a lot of complaints on the forums.  Lets face it, there are only the meagerest handful of companies that even dare to venture into this fairly niche hobby of ours.  I feel pretty darn grateful that any bother to deliver products that fulfill this role.  Everyone has the right the criticize and make requests for things that want to see changed or improved, but when they derisively "bite the hand that feeds them" over and over again, it gets a bit much for me (and I suspect a lot of others here). 

I thank my lucky stars that MS is taking the approach to widen the net to make this product as profitable as possible.  An actual financial success only increases the likelihood that they will continue to develop for it and make improvements down the road.  "Passion projects" sound great and find an audience who elevate them in their minds simply because of the "passionate" nature of their creators, but long term success of those are more the exception than the rule.  To this end, feature like the Reno Air Race and Top Gun are welcome to me especially if they keep the wider audience interested.  I find it MORE likely that obscure avionics features will be developed on a team with financial means to keep it going than the opposite.  To that end I'm willing to give the team the benefit of the doubt that they can "walk and chew gum at the same time", which in this case is to repair bugs while developing these new features - especially when doing just that has been explicitly confirmed by both Asobo, and Matt from WT.

So to your point - yes, I was being snarky .. and yes, it was intentional - again, apologies to you ADamiani.  I do in fact agree with you with regards to looking forward to the widened scenery cache slider.  While the popping doesnt really bother me, I wouldnt miss it either and my machine can pretty easily handle it.  Win win for both of us.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, VFXSimmer said:

So to your point - yes, I was being snarky .. .

Not a big deal, no worries ...

Let's hope the devs will give us all good reasons to be happy, each with their own priorities, and to fly more and write less :-)))))))

Best

Andrea

Is that an L-39? Certainly looks like it, and it's one of the aircraft they fly at Reno. 

Rewatching the trailer, I've spotted a T-6, an L-39 and a P-51, nothing else.

5a4usCr.png

Edited by Tuskin38

On 8/29/2021 at 11:41 AM, HiFlyer said:

Hyperbole.

NO!!!! Really? What gave it away?

On 8/25/2021 at 1:58 AM, sd_flyer said:

Every sim you ever played is a game! LOL

Is a real motion simulator a game because it isn't the real thing?

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

1 hour ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Is a real motion simulator a game because it isn't the real thing?

DCS, Il2, XP11, P3D, FSX, MSFS are games. 

• Upvote 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

6 hours ago, sd_flyer said:

DCS, Il2, XP11, P3D, FSX, MSFS are games. 

So you do consider a real simulator a game?

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

Just now, MrBitstFlyer said:

So you do consider a real simulator a game?

If you fly simulator you can log your time for proficiency or toward rating/certificate. Everything else is a game or training aid! 🙂 

1 hour ago, sd_flyer said:

If you fly simulator you can log your time for proficiency or toward rating/certificate. Everything else is a game or training aid! 🙂 

When was learning to fly I used the very first Orbx True Earth to practice my solo cross country flights.  It was incredible to see exactly the same ground features I would see on the real flight.  I have Foreflight or Sky Demon running alongside MSFS as I would in the real aircraft. The flight planning process is done using real world pilot resources.  I log on to PilotEdge and receive realistic ATC services using real world procedures.  

For Me MSFS is a simulator.

3 hours ago, sd_flyer said:

This is my definition of "study level", too.   If I can log training hours with it, it's truly "study level" in my mind.   For anything else, it's just a meaningless marketing term.

3 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

When was learning to fly I used the very first Orbx True Earth to practice my solo cross country flights.  It was incredible to see exactly the same ground features I would see on the real flight.  I have Foreflight or Sky Demon running alongside MSFS as I would in the real aircraft. The flight planning process is done using real world pilot resources.  I log on to PilotEdge and receive realistic ATC services using real world procedures.  

For Me MSFS is a simulator.

I teach people how to fly, and  I agree  MSFS is great training aid. Simulator is marketing word and  mean different thing to different people When people start arguing which product  is "sim "or what is "game" I tell all people everything they "play" is a "game". I mean, I wish I could log my 6 approaches and 1 hold every six months in MSFS, but I can't. So anything I can't log  is not a sim to me.