Sign in to follow this  
Keirtt

Delete

Call it what you want.  I want those add-ons,  and I think they are arriving just in time.   Not to start a pissing war,  but the sim runs and looks fantastic at 4k Ultra on my system.   I know it's no so for everyone,  so I can understand why some are frustrated.  I sympathize.

On the other hand,  I firmly believe that there are so many variables when it comes to gaming computers that it's not even funny.   With all the hardware, software, and drivers combinations,  the average person doesn't truly understand how to maintain their pc. 

So I guess I'm saying,   bring on the addons, I'm truly sorry that some people are having a negative experience,  and Asobo needs to act responsibly.    I believe they are acting responsibly.   I believe they have clearly stated their intentions with regards to the project.

I believe that economics are a reality,  and cash flow keeps the sim alive.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Waldo Pepper said:

Call it what you want.  I want those add-ons,  and I think they are arriving just in time.   Not to start a pissing war,  but the sim runs and looks fantastic at 4k Ultra on my system.   I know it's no so for everyone,  so I can understand why some are frustrated.  I sympathize.

On the other hand,  I firmly believe that there are so many variables when it comes to gaming computers that it's not even funny.   With all the hardware, software, and drivers combinations,  the average person doesn't truly understand how to maintain their pc. 

So I guess I'm saying,   bring on the addons, I'm truly sorry that some people are having a negative experience,  and Asobo needs to act responsibly.    I believe they are acting responsibly.   I believe they have clearly stated their intentions with regards to the project.

I believe that economics are a reality,  and cash flow keeps the sim alive.

Not a pissing contest at all. I agreed that you actually made some good points, but I challenged you to elaborate about how the pandemic and quarantines prevented them from fixing code that’s been bugged for a year, but able to release add-ons during that same time frame. That’s all.

Cash flow keeps them alive… for now. Another posted made a good point though that 3rd party is what will make is sustainable and that’s more important. With that said, 3rd party devs need a stable product with critical bugs fixed. Hence the reason why FBW had to use their community backing to push an agenda to get the weather APIs for their mod.

All is good though. Just healthy conversation. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Gaming rig
Intel i9 13900k - NZXT Kraken Z73 cooler - ASUS Maximus Hero Z790 
32GB Trident Z 6000MHz DDR5 - Gigabyte 4090 GAMING OC 24G
10 x 120mm Lian Li UNI fans - Lian Li OD11XL Case - Corsair HX1500i PSU

Although I don’t share the sentiment, it’s a great idea to split this off from threads which were made to discuss the addons.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

They only have so many employees.  They worked hard on the sim,   but then had to divert resources to the xbox program.    It's much easier to build a few 3d models and some terrain,   than it is to write code and chase bugs.   Are you really trying to equate what's effectively a reno mod with development of the core sim?   I mean,  one person can make those models and scenery in a month or two max.

EDIT:  I also factor in all the Xbox people,   who are now able to enjoy the sim as a positive.   Many people can't afford a gaming pc,  or don't have the technical knowledge to keep one running properly.

Edited by Waldo Pepper

I think it really boils down to the fact that MSFS is a product with a goal to make money.  Addons like these will sell and generate more money, thereby making MSFS financially successful and allowing development to continue on bug fixes and new features.

• Like 3

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

I have to admit that I am chomping at the bit for the Reno mod.   I loved the Reno races in FSX,  and they will be an absolute blast in FS20 multplayer.    Bring on that Bearcat.

• Like 1

Actually, no it didn’t “have to be said” as it’s been stated multiple times in other threads.

Opinion noted.  For me I hope to see them continue to develop new features while working off bugs.  No reason the sim should stagnate while they work on esoteric pages of a Garmin (which ARE being worked on by separate teams btw - yould see confirmation of this if you read any of the many other threads).

The assumption that progress on the requests by issues noted by the OP are being otherwise “backburnered” is just an assumption.  Multiple statements to the contrary have been made by Asobo themselves and contracted teams like Working Title.  They state (quite reasonably) fixing bugs, and developing new features - a study level Garmin IS a new feature that some are more interested in than others - takes time.  The yardstick of 1 year is not much given the same development cycles of similar features in last gen sims.

In the meantime, if they can continue to add new and exciting things to the sim - all the power to them id say.  Go team!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, VFXSimmer said:

Actually, no I didn’t “have to be said” as it’s been stated multiple times in other threads.

Opinion noted.  For me I hope to see them continue to develop new features while working off bugs.  No reason the sim should stagnate while they work on esoteric pages of a Garmin (which ARE being worked on by separate teams btw - yould see confirmation of this if you read any of the many other threads).

The assumption that progress on the requests by issues noted by the OP are being otherwise “backburnered” is just an assumption.  Multiple statements to the contrary have been made by Asobo themselves and contracted teams like Working Title.  They state (quite reasonably) fixing bugs, and developing new features - a study level Garmin IS a new feature that some are more interested in than others - takes time.  The yardstick of 1 year is not much given the same development cycles of similar features in last gen sims.

In the meantime, if they can continue to add new and exciting things to the sim - all the power to them id say.  Go team!

The new Working Title G1000 NXI isn't full featured yet,  but,  it does allow you to enter waypoints with your keyboard instead of the FMS knobs.   I hated messing with those knobs while flying.

• Like 1

Regarding pandemic impact on fixing code. I can see the difficulty if remote working. It is not as easy to sit around and brainstorm over a video call compared to sitting in the same room. It's like power texting, or conference calls, one speaker at a time, the rest listen. Ten in a room, five can be talking, five can be listening. When we brainstorm in our business, I don't want to hold up my hand to speak if I can answer lol. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, regis9 said:

I think it really boils down to the fact that MSFS is a product with a goal to make money.  Addons like these will sell and generate more money, thereby making MSFS financially successful and allowing development to continue on bug fixes and new features.

Regis

I understand the point and would be happy if it were the case. The issue I and many have, is that we now need to be convinced that they want to do both. The team’s narrative and the facts on the ground clash somewhat. We see new products, we don’t see the fixing. 

• Like 4

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

So a mod not affiliated with AVSIM requested this thread deleted, yet OP is making the request himself.

What is even going on here? 

• Like 1

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

All very strange about the deletion thing, so I am writing this without a proper frame of reference to the OP, but trying to pick up the gist of it from the answers.

Anyway, my view is more balanced.  I really want theses addons and I am looking forward to them. 
I understand why they need to release paid DLC to keep the pennies rolling in - it is a business after all, and if the addons are good, people will buy them.
If they are not your cup of tea, then just skip over them.

As for me, after sorting out some CTD's (and not really knowing what fixed some of them :biggrin:) I am enjoying the sim more than ever.
Tuesday night was tapas night for me!  I bought the Grob, Caproni, and Nieuport all in one go, and spent all night enjoying all of them - they are all great for the price.

Now for the balance..  The virus thing.  While it has affected all of us in some way, some people have stated it may be affecting their ability to fix the bugs quickly due to distance working etc.  But as someone else has pointed out, the DLC has been produced under the same conditions - it hasn't stopped them.  No further comment needed on that.

For me, it isn't so much the little annoying bugs that will eventually get fixed (some of them already were, but they are back :smile:), but it is the basic things.
Since launch, the sim has suffered from poor ground handling, especially on take off and landing - it is making some seasoned YouTube reviewers look like amateurs at times.  

I have been flying sims since they were a few white vector lines on a black screen, but I am embarrassed to say I have to use 'rudder assistance' on take off and landing, or I end up going from one side of the runway to the other.

Now this ground handling is a core part of the sim, at probably the most important stage of the flight. 
Asobo must see it, and in fact they have even mentioned the issue on a twitch stream about seven months ago, so why hasn't it been attended to over the last year?  Surely it is important.  Is it because it isn't on a voted list somewhere?  That shouldn't mean something so obvious doesn't get attended to.

So I understand why some people ask the question, why are they releasing all this without fixing the basics first - it is a valid question.  If someone can answer, please do.
It won't stop me buying the DLC and enjoying it in the meantime though. :smile:

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 3

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

2 hours ago, styckx said:

So a mod not affiliated with AVSIM requested this thread deleted, yet OP is making the request himself.

What is even going on here? 

Some people found the stash with the good stuff and are smoking it.

I was thinking about this last night. I was wrong to an extent. Microsoft has committed a bit of malfeasance.    Their handling of the marketplace is atrocious in the sense that some of the products the sell on it are not SU5 compliant.   As recent as last week I bought an airport from there that caused issues with the sim due to it's file structure.   

I wonder how many people are having issues caused by marketplace content. 

Imo they have an elevated level of responsibility for ensuring that nothing they sell in the marketplace causes easily identifiable conflicts.    They need to moderate what they sell.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

So I understand why some people ask the question, why are they releasing all this without fixing the basics first - it is a valid question.  If someone can answer, please do.

I draw your attention to a new post for the Q&A session Why is the team releasing Reno Air Races and Top Gun while the top-voted bugs are a year old? - Community / Dev Q&A: Ask Questions Here! - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

concluding  "If Microsoft Flight Simulator has been promised to be a “sim for simmers”, why has the team chosen to invest time, money, and people into these game add-ons when there are still top-voted bugs open from launch?"

It skyrockets in the votes at a rapid pace. 

Not very original you will tell me. No, we at Avsim have said plenty on the matter. Well, not original except that the OP is one of the official moderator there 🤣 ! 

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 4

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam