Sign in to follow this  
bonchie

Returning to MSFS After Almost a Year

I was originally an Alpha tester but just didn't play much at release due to frustrations and performance issues. Have read horror stories about SU5 but I figured I'd jump back in given the performance increase should help with my ancient GTX970 (if video cards ever go back to MSRP, I'll upgrade).

I'm going to Taos, NM in a few weeks so I figured a flight there would be nice. Loaded up in the 172 for something simple and set the GPS for Angel Fire about 20 miles away. The plane started up as expected, it's no longer pulling left on taxi, and the takeoff roll feels good, if a little twitchy as speed builds (haven't adjusted sensitivities yet). Into the air, the effects of density altitude seem to be superbly modeled (I leaned before takeoff) and it climbed like an absolute dog. As I got over the mountains, the sim was clearly simulating wind gusts off the ridges in ways I'd never seen another game do. The plane was all over the place.

Approached Angel Fire from an extended right base after coming over a ridge. Flaps out and everything did what I expected. Held it over the runway and let it settle. The ASOS matched the windsock as I rolled out and the weather seemed correct. Performance seemed good the entire flight, the trees look so much better and the density feels right, and aside from the comically high hangers at airports, the graphics met the mark.

So my question for you is what now? I'm about to finish my CFI in real life and enjoy GA opts in small planes so I'd like to stay in that lane for a while. Are there free realism mods for the Cessnas and Bonanza? How have you toned down the overblown lighting in SU5? Any other must have freeware addons I should install immediately? Performance tweets I should know about?

Edited by bonchie
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, bonchie said:

So my question for you is what now?

If you do not have it, get the WT G1000 nxi (in the marketplace) and the Rob Young Turbo Bonanza from wherever it is to be found (needs an SU5 tweak, but is lovely to fly).

From there on, it depends on what aircraft you like to fly.. I quite enjoy the P149 (for touring) and the Grravel Cubs (for bush flying).

• Like 4

Bert

One more thing,  get the Addons Linker before you get too many addons, it is essential.

• Like 6

Bert

14 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

I quite enjoy the P149 (for touring) and the Grravel Cubs (for bush flying).

What about bush league's xcubs?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

3 minutes ago, captain420 said:

What about bush league's xcubs?

Have not tried them... was just attempting to get the OP up and running... I am sure that we could unleash a torrent of favorite addons (which already started above... in spite of the OP stating that he was looking for GA aircraft..)

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1

Bert

You've got me curious now about gotgravel's version vs bush leagues.

Btw, what makes a plane a BUSH plane? I've see a few mods that make the C172 into a bush plane by adding skis, floats, big wheels. They're by baglou from flghtsim.to, would you consider those modded planes as bush?

Sorry for taking this thread a bit off-topic, but I've been getting more into bush flying and planes lately. What I like about "TRUE" bush planes is that they're a 1 seater, and it makes looking out your left and right so much more pleasant.

Edited by captain420
  • Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

30 minutes ago, bonchie said:

How have you toned down the overblown lighting in SU5?

If you mean lightning, then no it still lightnings all over the place.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Just now, Mace said:

If you mean lightning, then no it still lightnings all over the place.

lighting, not lightning. But unfortunately the answer to the OP's question is no. The overexposed light in certain areas is still there and hasn't been addressed yet. I find it problematic especially in the highlight portions of the clouds where the whites lose detail. They need to adjust the tonemapping so that we preserve as much detail as possible in the highlights.

And I really hope they fix that dog awful color adaptation where when you look down at the cockpit, the top half where the sky shows is so overexposed that I can barely make out any detail. This really bothers me. It's like if we focus on the cockpit panels, then we lose out detail in the skies.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Then again,  the Cessna 208b is definitely a bush plane.   Most of them don't have big fat tires because they they don't need them, and they add drag.

• Like 1