Sign in to follow this  

Alphasim SR-71 Blackbird Thumbs UP

Guest JIMJAM

Great job by Alphasim for the just released Blackbird.Overall a wonderful plane with some of the best documentation Ive seen. In depth background, with lots of pics and stories that really set the mood and even a long time fan like me learned a thing or two.Compared to the Pilots SR-71 that was released a good while ago, this one much more fleshed out.The best being the VR cockpit.:7 Really well done....The pop up panels are also well done and the plane takes advantage of some FSX only features that involve taking pictures/views which I have not tried yet.Flight model is tough with the landing and the terrible vis from the cockpit going to take a long time veteran like me alot more practice.I am yet to take the blackbird up to the edge of space at mach 3. However, after pushing the power to full burner and being slammed back into the seat I have no doubt the plane will have much trouble.Well its off to work. Just wanted to pass on my impression so if any of you are sitting on the fence on this one, GET IT.Only real SPEED freaks need apply CAUSE SHE IS A REAL HAND FULL.

Guest seniorcrown

Hi Jimjam,Glad you like it. There are a couple of issues that will be addressed in a patch, but we're leaving that a few days just to make sure we don't miss anything.All credit for the VC should go to Jay, Herbert and Luis, without which it wouldn't have been half as good as its turned out.The flight model is awesome, Jay did a superb job IMHO of getting the bird to perform by the book - we even have flameouts if you are at too great an AoA and low indicated speed - its a challenge, but its very good fun too.I recall one test flight where I ended my flight after experiencing both engines flaming out during a Mach 2.8 turn after I took over from the autopilot to try to increase the turning performance to meet the next waypoint. One flamed out, which caused a pitch up and yaw that was subsequently followed by the other flaming out as I wrestled to maintain directional control. The flight ended at the bottom of the South China Sea near Haiphong after I lost total control on the way down!Needless to say, that was a bad flight, but as you'll see in the PDF manual, the included flight plan in FSX can be done, and its fun too!!Thank you for your continued support. Don't forget we have Beale AFB for FS9 and FSX too! Why fly from a civil airport when you could have the home base with AI KC-135Q and AI U2 flying about? LOLDavid AKA Alphasim-Quid21

I was interested in this plane, but I read a review on Flightsim.com that said it doesn't have its own sounds, that it uses the 737 sounds. Are you refering to the same package? The one in the review was from 2004, so this must be a new one?

Guest JIMJAM

This version has its own sounds, 40 something megs worth.Really good.The only thing I changed were the gear up/down ones.Overall its LOUD....

Wow, I might have to pick that baby up then! I'm going to go look for it. lol

Guest SD_Research

This is an all-new, from the ground up aircraft, just released yesterday. It was built using the official SR-71 flight manual and was a year in the making.

Guest firehawk44

Yes, I have to agree. It's a great aircraft but an extreme challenge to fly. I made the rookie mistake of quickly purusing the manual and checklists, then setting up a flight from Andrews AFB to Offutt to FL620. Yikes! I got to about FL550 before flaming out and losing control (until I figured I should turn off the AP - duh!!). I manually took over and tried to land at an emergency airfield but that didn't work either so exited the sim to do more reading. This is definitely going to be a challenge but that's what I enjoy (plus there's a major snow/ice storm coming through Northern Virginia today and this will keep be occupied until I can once again return to the golf courses). Thanks again AlphaSim for another great aircraft. I also hope you eventually upgrade your C-5A to FSX. That was enjoyable to fly too (still is whenever I use FS9). Best regards, Jim

LOL! I'll ditto that experience and for the same reason. I d/l and skimmed the manual mand away I went......and down I came. Going to be a challenge but the grpahics and everything else seem superb. I noticed no change in my normal FSX performance.this is my first try with a product from Alphasim and I can say that from start to finish the purchase process was a breeze and the product performs as advertised.Just MHO,VicVisit the Virtual Pilot's Centerwww.flightadventures.comhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Proud SupporterRadar Contact Supporter: http://www.jdtllc.com/

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Well I was going to get this guy but after my experience trying to buy the B-1B from alphasim I decided I better wait until I figure out what is goig on. I purchased the B-1B and it said my card was approved, but when I try to downlaod it tells me I havn't purchased anything. I actualyl tried three times, and was approved and given a reciept number three times, yet I am still told I did not purchase anything. I'm quite dissapointed and not willing to attempt to buy this plane until I get my B-1B. LOL

Guest seniorcrown

Hi Solar,Have you contacted Phil or Dan at Alphasim - usually the buying process is pretty painless - make sure you get in touch with Phil or Dan as they can help you out. Either pm them using our forum or pop an email to:alphasim1[at]alphasim.co.ukAnd Phil will sort you out provided you give him one of those receipt numbers and the date you purchased.Best regards,David AKA Alphasim-quid21

Ok thanks for the info. I sent in through the contact us form, and to dan@studiotwentyone.co.uk address, so I will wait to hear back.

This is one sweet plane. The textures aren't the best but the rest of the package including the cockpit is totally awesome. The sounds are amazing (very powerful). This is my first payware jet for FSX and its a fun one. I tested it at area 51, and good thing I did becuase I needed that whole runway on my first landing. lolThanks to Alphasim. http://sio.midco.net/111lll/sr71.jpghttp://sio.midco.net/111lll/sr73.jpghttp://sio.midco.net/111lll/sr72.jpg

As a 7-year air traffic controller at Beale during the SR program, I must say the afterburner is the best rendition I have seen in a sim yet.Two weeks ago, I bought the Alpha-sim Beale AFB scenery. Now I MUST buy the A/C...wouldn't be right not too! :)Cheers,bt

Guest seniorcrown

Thanks!! There's an update coming down the pipe over the next few days (hopefully) which fixes a few of the things we missed during testing and adds a couple more switches together with an updated 54 page Operations Manual with the full checklist included LOLBed time reading!! : )Thanks for the comments about the textures, I'm not particularly great at that, and black seems to be a pretty tough colour to get right. Personally I like to see some of the specular shine coming through and highlighting the nose and intakes.