Sign in to follow this  

Alphasim SR-71 Blackbird Thumbs UP

Yeah the shine makes it look very sweet. I wanted to capture that to show just how awesome this plane can look.

Guest DirtyHarry3033

Just got this bird tonite after reading this thread. Have always loved the Blackbird since I built a model of her in the late '60's as a child. Now I can finally fly her!!!And boy do I have a lot to learn. 99.9% of my simming is in piston-engine GA planes, like some others posted I just jumped right in and took off from the Nasa Shuttle Landing Facility without reading anything. Big mistake ;) Managed to overstress her within 90 seconds of takeoff the 1st flight, on the 2nd flight made it to FL300 before causing an inlet unstart on the left engine, which as I was trying to figure out how to restart it, I got another unstart on the right engine :(Too much fun!!! I'm gonna have a blast learning how to fly this beast after I spend a few weeks with the manual ;) Thanks, Alphasim!Question: I've noticed that in spot view, the afterburner effect seems to render behind clouds if it crosses over a cloud. Even if that cloud is far below me and miles away. Anyone else seen this? Any way to fix?

>Thanks!! There's an update coming down the pipe over the next>few days (hopefully) which fixes a few of the things we missed>during testing and adds a couple more switches together with>an updated 54 page Operations Manual with the full checklist>included LOLI'm a new Alphasim customer - re the forthcomiung update - should I just keep checking the Alphasim site or will it be announced?LOVE the SR-71 - that title is a winner!VicVisit the Virtual Pilot's Centerwww.flightadventures.comhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Proud SupporterRadar Contact Supporter: http://www.jdtllc.com/

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

>Question: I've noticed that in spot view, the afterburner>effect seems to render behind clouds if it crosses over>a cloud. Even if that cloud is far below me and miles away. >Anyone else seen this? Any way to fix?That seems to be a bug FSX has with some effects. I hope they fix it with SP1.

Guest seniorcrown

It will be announced on the Alphasim site, and I'll also mention it here and a few other places. It should include most if not all of the bugs posted to our Alphasim forums over the last week and new stuff by request.

Guest seniorcrown

Hi Guys,The Service pack update is out today:Here's a list of all the changes -1. Removed B-1B effects file from the package as its not needed and was included in error.2. Renamed TEB FX in the aircraft.cfg to include fx_.3. Updated 'Operations Manual' with Checklists and new switches, now 54 pages long.4. Warning, caution, gear lights etc. turn off when cockpit is 'cold and dark'.5. TDI in VC reads the same as the 2D (in KEAS).6. VC fuel transfer knob now works appropriately.7. Added Autopilot pop up button in the VC.8. Removed black squares in VC with gauge back lighting turned on, which enables viewing of selector knobs.9. Added RSO bailout button texture to vc.10. Added panel light switch and gauges light switch to VC left console.11. Added a low poly 3D shadow model.12. Added engine flameout/unstart restart switches (work over 1,000 feet altitude).13. Added Increment and Decrement click spots for ASI, altitude adjust and standby attitude gauge in VC.14. Corrected autopilot pop-up window black screen problem.15. Added some perspective to the front canopy knife edge in the VC.16. Reworked the air refuelling switch so that it only opens the door, then clicking the yellow lamp refuels the aircraft.17. Removed strobe light switch from 2D ECU panel.18. Warning lamp indicator test switch now lights up all the lamps.19. Toned down reflection on ASI.20. The hundreds digit on HSI now works in both the 2D and VC.21. Added Widescreen Panel.cfg.Download the Service Pack Zip (8.55MB, each sim) by logging into your personal download area in the Shop at Alphasim (the 'My Downloads' icon') and access the SR-71 download page by clicking a download link in your Recent Purchases section. This will use up a download, so email Alphasim if you need more or would just like to have it reset. Extract the Zip into root folder of your sim, overwrite all when asked.Enjoy!!!

I bought the Alhoasim SR-71 today.1. It doesn't come with the executable file for install. 2. I keep flaming out. :( I tried the auto pilot to fly from Honolulu to LAX. And it was going good.. I was like 55,000feet climbing at 500feet/min and was somewhere inbetween and it flamedout. I had 10% fuel remaining. Hmmm:)Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest seniorcrown

Hi Manny,Firstly thank you for showing interest in the aircraft. We don't use executable files at Alphasim - I'm not sure why, but thats how we do things. The zip should extract directly into the default MS locations.The best thing you should do is read through the checklist - its perhaps the most detailed we've ever done, and includes all the critical limitations of the aircraft and reference speeds etc. Its a popular misconception on the internet that the SR-71 was some kind of wonder plane able to fly Mach 3 and pull lots of G - but we have based our flight model on the pilots manual and is as close a performance to the real aircraft as is possible with flight simulator at this time. The flame out feature is a direct result of trying to get across the preciseness (if thats a word?) of these high altitude aircraft performance characteristics. As you can imagine the crews who flew these aircraft were the top 0.1% of aviators in terms of skill levels.Flameouts occured in this aircraft at higher than 14 degrees AoA, lower than 300 kias and above 25,000 feet. The best thing to do is keep your speed up and avoid sharp pitch changes at high speed and altitude.It is said that at Mach 3 and 80k+ the AOA should read about 6 degrees nose up - but in real life if you exceed 8 degrees you are at risk of the aircraft pitching up and snapping where the wing joins the forebody - thats how critical the AOA is on this one.Similarly too much AOA at low speeds can cause a pitch up that was a contributing factor to a real life crash of the aircraft during the early years.But its a blast to fly especially once you've mastered the high performance and are able to fly smoothly and not cause flameouts - it took me long enough lol, but its great fun and a nice challenge!Best regards,David. AKA Alphasim-Quid21

Thanks David,Yeah..I know, I skimmed through the manual... and flew it using the AP that climbed at 500feet/min giving me :)Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest seniorcrown

My personal preference is not to set the realism to easy - its more of a challenge with that little bit of extra realism. I guess turning off aircraft stress causes a crash would probably help if you want to wring it about!!Seriously though, during testing I flew a 2000 mile course from Kadena (see manual!) which took me round the Sea of Japan and close to Vladivostok and didn't have one flameout, and that was with real world weather. It was a fantastic ride - you just got to keep an eye on the miles to next waypoint lol, or you can end up over cooking it and missing the next waypoint!! I'd say slow and descend when you have around 20,000lbs and refuel, or find a suitable place to land. There's a refuelling switch that tops your tanks up on the centre panel (top of). And then do the Dipsy doodle sound barrier maneuver back up to 70+ and Mach 3!So long as you don't overspeed but stick to around 450 KEAS (note not KIAS), all the way until Mach 2.6 and at least 60,000 then follow Mach number to Mach 3 at 70+ you can't go wrong.I have fond memories of being in a Mach 2.6 45 degree bank turn at 80,000 and ending up with one engine flaming out producing yaw and pitch up that caused the other engine to quit and left me slowing and stalling all the way down, unable to restart my engines due to the poor flight conditions and finished with my ticket home at the bottom of South China Sea near Haiphong harbour!!Its a challenge, but enjoy yourself!!

Picked it up, what a blast.Took the second flight to get if figured out (over speeded it and "broke up" at about 45K), but after a little reading just finished a great run. Took of from CYEG on a 210 heading. Before I did the drop from 33K to 30K to go supersonic, I turned north to PAJN. Absolute wonderful flight, no flameouts - just one smooth and very very fast trip at 3.25/80K. Landing at PAJN from the north over the rise at 8deg pitch up is interesting to say the least in that cockpit !Quote from manual:"28. Once you pass through 1.8 Mach the plane will start to accelerate very quickly"That

That looks absolutely great. I think I'm definitely in on this one.Out of curiosity, anyone here using their T-6?

Guest seniorcrown

For anyone who is like me and can't get to grip with Fraps, here is a video I'd have liked to have made lol by one of our customers - enjoy! I certainly did!Hats off to Manbird.

Guest jaydee737a

Hiya,Flying the Alphasim SR-71 is really challenging.The Ops Manual included is comprehensive but I wantedthe real deal manual and found printed and CDROM versionson Ebay.Google'd "SR-71 Flight Manual" and up popped: http://www.sr-71.org/blackbird/manual/You can purchase it from that website or even view it online.The table of contents is hyperlinked.Enjoy,Jim

Guest flyingcircus

Just wanted to add my applause for this superb aircraft addon for FSX. Flight modelling, attention to detail and procedures is excellent and very immersive. I like the way I am challenged in the cockpit and have to concentrate on the gauges to get the optimum settings right. Adding in the capability to take recon photos was a brilliant idea and great fun to try out although my success rate is low at the moment. The manual is very detailed and I was even inspired enough to get a couple of the books mentioned in the bibliography which I am reading now. I got the Beale AFB scenery and AI aircraft for that extra bit of realism and it would be great if Alphasim could round this off with some updated RAF Mildenhall scenery so that we can complete true Det.4 missions or even an old 1980's Mildenhall show circuit! Hope this aircaft gets fully updated for FSX when SP1 is out. Thanks for the chance to take this great aircraft for a flight :-beerchu