Sign in to follow this  
mpw8679

PMDG DC6

8 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

Does anyone have the DC6 who also had the A2A Connie in P3d?  I did not enjoy the Connie compared to A2A's other offerings, so I'm wondering if I'd even like this one.

Is it different from the Connie ? I don’t have her but I flew quite a lot their Boeing 377. And it is more or less the same type of experience. Except I miss the crying baby.

If I read you well you like fancy aircraft like the Vertigo and bizjets flying high with modern avionics. The DC-6 is indeed a wee bit different. The engine and profile of flight managements are paramount, there is no autopilot able to follow a RNAV, ILS only. You get help from a virtual engineer for the engine but everything else is yours to do and that includes driving the 6 toward the final approach.

The 6 is a relatively slow long-hauler but you can very well do meaningful flights of one hour.

8 hours ago, Stoopy said:

It's pretty bitchen. 🤙

Totally rad

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

7 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

Does anyone have the DC6 who also had the A2A Connie in P3d?  I did not enjoy the Connie compared to A2A's other offerings, so I'm wondering if I'd even like this one.

I had both in P3D and almost exclusively flew the Connie for several reasons. (1) It is an iconic airplane. (2) The way A2A implemented the crew is, IMHO, much better than the automatic flight engineer in the DC-6. (3) I liked that one can hide the GPS unit. Yes, you can just keep it switched off on the PMDG plane, but it still sits there, and I wanted to fly those planes how they were flown in the 1950s.

Having said that, both models are excellent and the MSFS DC-6 is by far the most complex airplane for that sim. I fly it a lot and really enjoy the model.

To the OP: the PMDG NGX used to be one of my favorite planes in FSX. I simulated modern airliner operations for many years, but at some point I discovered that old airplanes and smaller turboprops are actually much more interesting. Much less automation. One has to be much more careful with engines, pressurization and weather. And navigation is a more complex task for the pilot.

Peter

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Waldo Pepper said:

Must.  Have.    It's alive.  It's complex.  (But,  it has an automated flight engineer for those who just want to dip their toes in the water a little)

She is a stunner,  https://flightsim.to/discover/dc-6

You can go medieval on her too,  if you want.   Ignore all the electronics,  and break out your sextant - https://flightsim.to/file/18773/pmdg-dc-6-flight-planning-tools

I have two Aura Pro bass shakers under my seat,  50 watts per channel,  driven by the SimShaker for Aviators FS2020 plugin.    I'm not kidding when I say it feels alive. 

pmdg-dc-6b-virtual-blue-angels-n8ba-navy

XV9U42yp.png?width=1400&auto_optimize=me

uxZvoCRb.png?width=1400&auto_optimize=mepmdg-dc-6a-independence-more-realistic-d

pmdg-dc-6-usaf-63rd-maw-u_Otz.jpg?width=

pmdg-dc-6-usaf-63rd-maw-w_OZX.jpg?width=

About the sound, i bought the DTS app in the windows store because of the DC-6, the basses are more pronounced and defined. For anyone interested, you can try before buying it (or its competitor Dolby).

• Like 2

I made a walk through PDF from Roberts Vid, added missing stuff and corrections, rolled everything into an easy to follow PDF.

PMDG made it a Sticky so seems there also happy with it 🙂 Hope it helps?

https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-forum/pmdg-dc-6-cloudmaster-forum/129605-roberts-tutorials-made-into-a-simple-to-follow-pdf-for-the-msfs-dc-6#post146488

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 5

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

1 hour ago, qqwertzde said:

I liked that one can hide the GPS unit. Yes, you can just keep it switched off on the PMDG plane, but it still sits there, and I wanted to fly those planes how they were flown in the 1950s.

You can replace it by the Bendix  stack altogether. I don't have it in my 6 . Look at the tablet options.

• Like 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

1 hour ago, Scimiter said:

I love flying the old vintage bangers using VOR and NDB to navigate, great fun.

I wish the old radios down lower were functional instead of how PMDG added modern looking radios up top. Even the FSX default DC-3 had functioning old radios (which I loved to use and ported them over into lots of other FSX planes using fs panel studio (it doesn't work in MSFS).

http://www.fspanelstudio.com/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I had the Connie in P3D, and enjoyed flying. I like the DC6 much more. To me the flying experience is much better with the DC6. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

6 hours ago, webstef68 said:

About the sound, i bought the DTS app in the windows store because of the DC-6, the basses are more pronounced and defined. For anyone interested, you can try before buying it (or its competitor Dolby).

I have DTS on my system,   but I've been using Dolby Atmos for headphones.   I'll give DTS a shot.  Thanks!

6 hours ago, 737_800 said:

Hey Matt,

I was in the same position as you. Interessted in airlines like Boeing and Airbus. I have still bought the DC-6 because I wanted to fly an in depth flight model in MSFS. Now I can. It's really fun and you learn quite a lot of new terms and operations. What I like the most of the DC-6 is that is sooo easy to fly it manually. I haven't even seen an airliner that is so easy to trim. I kind of got borred with taking off and just activating the autopilot.

See it like that, with an airliner you restrict yourself in a way, when you try to simulate real life airliners. Consequently you follow their routemap and are limited on what you can discover. It's a waste, especially with MSFS when it's worth and possible to discover every spot on the earth in a fair amount of detail. Since I fly this aircraft I have been on places I would never have been with the FBW A320.

I would recommend you watching the stream by theflyingfabio on twitch. I think afterwards, you will have an good impression if you might like it or not.

Have you ever considered NeoFly?   It's free,  and it will allow you to setup FBO's and hire pilots.   You can search any airport for missions,  and go where your heart leads you.  https://www.neofly.net/

I'm starting a line in Papua.  Right now I have 4 aircraft,  and hire 3 or 4 pilots to fly them when I'm not in them.   Building upon what you stated,  I've been to places I'd never have even thought to consider by just flying NeoFly missions.   I added my DC-6 to the database,   so as soon as I can afford to buy it in NeoFly she'll be moving freight.  I want to have at least 4 of them in NeoFly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Waldo Pepper said:

Have you ever considered NeoFly?   It's free,  and it will allow you to setup FBO's and hire pilots.   You can search any airport for missions,  and go where your heart leads you.  https://www.neofly.net/

I'm starting a line in Papua.  Right now I have 4 aircraft,  and hire 3 or 4 pilots to fly them when I'm not in them.   Building upon what you stated,  I've been to places I'd never have even thought to consider by just flying NeoFly missions.   I added my DC-6 to the database,   so as soon as I can afford to buy it in NeoFly she'll be moving freight.  I want to have at least 4 of them in NeoFly.

No I did not know about this site. Thank you, I will check it out.

4 hours ago, Waldo Pepper said:

I have DTS on my system,   but I've been using Dolby Atmos for headphones.   I'll give DTS a shot.  Thanks!

Sorry i made a mistake, from both i went to Dolby because i found it more natural sounding through my headphones.

Edited by webstef68
  • Like 1

Thank you everyone for your input.  It is much appreciated!

• Like 1

Matt Wilson

14 hours ago, 737_800 said:

No I did not know about this site. Thank you, I will check it out.

A couple tips if try it,

1)I was flying in Papua and the default 172 was quite doggy at those altitudes.   I decided to put my Carenado C182T in the NeoFly database because it was a similar starter aircraft,  but had a turbo.    I sold the 172,  and ended up making cash even after buying the C182 in game.

2)I bought a few C152's and pay pilots $1000 a day to fly them.   If I send them halfway across Papua,   the missions usually earn around $38k for each aircraft.   Pilots are hired for 24 hours.

3)I bought the SAR scenery addon to support them.  Then I bought a Carbon Cub on floats,  and used it to fly SAR missions in the ocean around Papua.    One example was a half sunken yacht with people in the water,  another was a downed aircraft.   I just thought it was cool.   I want to try it with the new H145 helo,  because it has flotation bags on the skids.   

Edited by Waldo Pepper

On 8/27/2021 at 8:14 PM, webstef68 said:

Sorry i made a mistake, from both i went to Dolby because i found it more natural sounding through my headphones.

A bit off topic but I see Dolby Atmos for headphones is on sale at the moment and it's been on free trial for 7 days a few times. I wasn't convinced that it's worth it though, at least not with Galaxy Live earbuds. On a home theatre system Atmos is a whole different story though.

Intel Core i5-12600k, Nvidia RTX 2080 Super, 64 Gigs.

18 minutes ago, JSmith2112 said:

A bit off topic but I see Dolby Atmos for headphones is on sale at the moment and it's been on free trial for 7 days a few times. I wasn't convinced that it's worth it though, at least not with Galaxy Live earbuds. On a home theatre system Atmos is a whole different story though.

You can really ear the difference with a system that is well capable of reproducing the low frequencies, not sure if in ears can manage it ?

Edited by webstef68