Sign in to follow this  
mpw8679

PMDG DC6

Hi guys,  I have been patiently waiting for a study level airliner for MSFS.  I don’t do Airbus so the FBW A320 does not interest me.  My favorite aircraft of all time is the PMDG NGX.  But I am hearing a lot of good mojo about there DC6.  Is it that good?  I honestly have no interest in the DC6 as I like to simulate current day airliners.  But... I have heard many people in my situation that have no regrets buying the DC6 and enjoy it immensely despite not accurate to current day air travel.  I enjoy VOR navigation when flying GA aircraft but am concerned that I won’t be able to handle the workload with the DC6.  Opinions?

• Like 1

Matt Wilson

It has an automated Flight Officer which handles a lot of the switches knobs, checklists and even engines during all phases of flight, you can choose to not use this feature the more you become familiar with the aircraft's systems and start handling more things yourself, doing it all is more busy than it is complex imo once familiar.  Bottom line the aircrafts systems are not going to be a concern as you can have it as simple or complicated as you want it to be.  I find the DC-6 simpler to fly in some regards as I don't have to worry about setting up the MCDU, I enjoy flying old school VOR/NDB stuff as well, if I just want to get an airliner up in the air quickly I will pick the DC-6, it's pretty much a few checklists, starting the engines and off you go.  Since getting this plane I have not flown jet airliners at all, I'm sure I'll go back to them as well as I equally enjoy them for different reasons but I can't recommend this plane enough, it looks great, sounds great, its flight model is an absolutely joy and getting a greaser of a landing in one of these is super satisfying.  Of course you have to have some interest in vintage planes because if you don't like the look or concept then don't waste your time and money but if you do like vintage planes (admittedly I do) then I can't see how anyone could be disappointed.  The official PMDG channel has excellent tutorials as, even worth a watch before making a purchasing decision.  I hope they'll come out with their advanced tutorials soon as well to deal with failures etc.  Hope that helps.

• Like 5

The wonderful thing about flight simulators is the ability to experience just about any aircraft. I think you're missing out by limiting yourself. The PMDG DC-6 is highly praised by all who fly it. If you enjoy VOR navigation when flying GA, it's no different with the DC-6 other than it's size. I personally think the workload is on the lighter side all thanks to the Artificial Flight Engineer (AFE). The AFE can manage a lot of phases including pre-flight checklists, prop and mixture controls, manage the power settings. All you have to do is take the controls and fly.

It's a really immersive feeling when those radials come to life and the airframe shakes and rattles. 

• Like 2

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

20 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

Hi guys,  I have been patiently waiting for a study level airliner for MSFS.  I don’t do Airbus so the FBW A320 does not interest me.  My favorite aircraft of all time is the PMDG NGX.  But I am hearing a lot of good mojo about there DC6.  Is it that good?  I honestly have no interest in the DC6 as I like to simulate current day airliners.  But... I have heard many people in my situation that have no regrets buying the DC6 and enjoy it immensely despite not accurate to current day air travel.  I enjoy VOR navigation when flying GA aircraft but am concerned that I won’t be able to handle the workload with the DC6.  Opinions?

I was the same until I bought the DC6.  It's amazing.  I can't stop flying it.  You won't regret the purchase and the Automated Flight Engineer is excellent.  Helps you get the hang of it before you decide to fly her solo.  

Jase

• Like 4

Jaseman. Lovin it up here........

Catch us over at MassieSim32 -> https://discord.gg/B4buuHGhcr

It's pretty bitchen. 🤙

• Like 1

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

Does anyone have the DC6 who also had the A2A Connie in P3d?  I did not enjoy the Connie compared to A2A's other offerings, so I'm wondering if I'd even like this one.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Must.  Have.    It's alive.  It's complex.  (But,  it has an automated flight engineer for those who just want to dip their toes in the water a little)

She is a stunner,  https://flightsim.to/discover/dc-6

You can go medieval on her too,  if you want.   Ignore all the electronics,  and break out your sextant - https://flightsim.to/file/18773/pmdg-dc-6-flight-planning-tools

I have two Aura Pro bass shakers under my seat,  50 watts per channel,  driven by the SimShaker for Aviators FS2020 plugin.    I'm not kidding when I say it feels alive. 

pmdg-dc-6b-virtual-blue-angels-n8ba-navy

XV9U42yp.png?width=1400&auto_optimize=me

uxZvoCRb.png?width=1400&auto_optimize=mepmdg-dc-6a-independence-more-realistic-d

pmdg-dc-6-usaf-63rd-maw-u_Otz.jpg?width=

pmdg-dc-6-usaf-63rd-maw-w_OZX.jpg?width=

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Waldo Pepper said:

Must.  Have.    It's alive.  It's complex.  (But,  it has an automated flight engineer for those who just want to dip their toes in the water a little)

She is a stunner,  https://flightsim.to/discover/dc-6

You can go medieval on her too,  if you want.   Ignore all the electronics,  and break out your sextant - https://flightsim.to/file/18773/pmdg-dc-6-flight-planning-tools

I have two Aura Pro bass shakers under my seat,  50 watts per channel,  driven by the SimShaker for Aviators FS2020 plugin.    I'm not kidding when I say it feels alive. 

Wow!

That MAC Paint is awesome! 😁  I just released her on flightsim.to by the way.

The DC6 is just wonderful.... I love flying it.

• Like 3

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

59 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

Does anyone have the DC6 who also had the A2A Connie in P3d?  I did not enjoy the Connie compared to A2A's other offerings, so I'm wondering if I'd even like this one.

It's an entirely different kind of flying.  Altogether.

• Like 1

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

Watch the PMDG DC-6 Tutorials at Youtube. 

Edited by dobee51

1 hour ago, ryanbatcund said:

The flying is similar in that they are both large, relatively slow and lumbering (maybe?).

If you're talking about the Flight attendant asking if you'd like some coffee or the self-loading cargo screaming and, sometimes applauding? Nope. None of that.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

7 hours ago, mpw8679 said:

I honestly have no interest in the DC6 as I like to simulate current day airliners. 
I enjoy VOR navigation when flying GA aircraft but am concerned that I won’t be able to handle the workload with the DC6.

It seems that the DC 6 is not for you, if you have no interest in it.
On the other side of the coin, I have no interest in programming an airliner and watching it fly, so the balance is even.🙂

One can read that the DC 6 required three people to fly it, so if you decide to undertake the work of three people, you are indeed likely to be stretched.
Fortunately, it is a flight simulator and not real life, so you can have virtual help with the tasks.

The PMDG DC6 was a work of art in FSX, P3D, XPlane for a few weeks and still is in MSFS.

Edited by Reader
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

A2A's Connie was my favourite aircraft in P3D, listening to the passengers screaming and vomiting  in the back as you flew through turbulence was hilarious. I miss it and hope they bring it over to MSFS, I also have PMDG's DC6 which I fly all the time, its not to difficult to fly if you use the flight engineer to look after the switches, I love flying the old vintage bangers using VOR and NDB to navigate, great fun.

Edited by Scimiter
  • Like 2

Asus Maximus Hero X11, Intel i9 10850k, 32gb Corsair Dominator ram, 2tb Corsair mp510 ssd  m2, Gigybyte turbo RTX 3090

Hey Matt,

I was in the same position as you. Interessted in airlines like Boeing and Airbus. I have still bought the DC-6 because I wanted to fly an in depth flight model in MSFS. Now I can. It's really fun and you learn quite a lot of new terms and operations. What I like the most of the DC-6 is that is sooo easy to fly it manually. I haven't even seen an airliner that is so easy to trim. I kind of got borred with taking off and just activating the autopilot.

See it like that, with an airliner you restrict yourself in a way, when you try to simulate real life airliners. Consequently you follow their routemap and are limited on what you can discover. It's a waste, especially with MSFS when it's worth and possible to discover every spot on the earth in a fair amount of detail. Since I fly this aircraft I have been on places I would never have been with the FBW A320.

I would recommend you watching the stream by theflyingfabio on twitch. I think afterwards, you will have an good impression if you might like it or not.

• Like 1