Sign in to follow this  
Guest JackDanielsDrinker

Vista black screen

I am running FSX on Vista Business edition -- no problems EXCEPT....when I change views (mostly from spot to 2d panel, F11 to F10), the screen goes black for a couple of seconds, sometimes twice, sometimes with a "loaded 100%" message flashing briefly. Then the screen returns to normal. This is not a stutter, as the simulation continues on during the blackout -- quite disconcerting if you change views near touchdown!I am running an ATI Radeon 9550 card with the latest ATI Vista drivers on a 3ghz machine with 1 gb memory.Has anyone else experienced this behaviour and/or found a cure? It is spoiling the FSX experience markedly!Ron McKeirnan

>I am running FSX on Vista Business edition -- no problems >>EXCEPT....>>when I change views (mostly from spot to 2d panel, F11 to>F10), the screen goes black for a couple of seconds,>sometimes twice, sometimes with a "loaded 100%" message>flashing briefly. Then the screen returns to normal. This is>not a stutter, as the simulation continues on during the>blackout -- quite disconcerting if you change views near>touchdown!>>I am running an ATI Radeon 9550 card with the latest ATI Vista>drivers on a 3ghz machine with 1 gb memory.>>Has anyone else experienced this behaviour and/or found a>cure? It is spoiling the FSX experience markedly!>>Ron McKeirnanHi RonYes I get the same experience but not enough to be annoying.It usually occurs when I mouse over the Nav radios to impute a Freq. or change from GPS to Nav. occasionally.I have Vista Ultimate,Duo core, GF 7950 Video Card.Still find FSX runs smoother on Vista then XP no more CTD.Have a safe one.Kenny G.

Guest allcott

The problem is obviously related to system resources. You should ensure that non-essential Vista services are shut down before you start the sim. What you see is the result of file swapping - you will see that the hard drive light is full-on busy at the same time.Frankly, why you would have put Vista on that rig has me scratching my head!? At least get another 3 gig of RAM! Allcott

I am getting acceptable results running FSX on VISTA..for example, on ground YBBN get 15-20fps; airborne over Brisbane get 25 fps...I think problem may be video card which has only 256mb ram.Ron

Guest JackDanielsDrinker

I get the same thing, but it is a quick flash or two, not a couple seconds. Usually when bringing up the Nav radios or some other panel (shift-2,3,4...).You are a little memory challenged (sorry, your computer is). You should try going to 2 gigs of RAM. Also, if you search for "batch files" in the FSX forum, you can find some batch files I posted that turn on/off a bunch of services you don't need while running FSX. This will save you some memory.