Sign in to follow this  
BWBriscoe

Affinity mask: word not allowed's guide

39 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

Yes I tried mixing further threads but didn't perceive much if any improvement.

I choose only to use 8 of the 10 cores for P3D, could use all 10, but 8 gives my great performance and leaves 2 cores free for other apps.

Even with the link to the AM calculator, I still don't understand how to select the correct number.  Are the '1' (ones) in the binary number the logical processors you want for p3d to use, or the ones you want it to avoid using?  Sorry for being so dense on this.  

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

5 minutes ago, David Vega said:

Even with the link to the AM calculator, I still don't understand how to select the correct number.  Are the '1' (ones) in the binary number the logical processors you want for p3d to use, or the ones you want it to avoid using?  Sorry for being so dense on this.  

Oh good, I was hoping someone would ask this so I didn’t have to 😁

Thanks

G

43 minutes ago, David Vega said:

1's are logical cores that should be used, 0's are those that should not.  Note the binary value is somewhat counter-intuitivley read from right to left.

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

Thank you @kevinfirth. I also found this article useful. I'm guessing the objective is to limit the number of cores P3D uses in order to have the free core(s) for other non-P3D tasks. If so, there are so many combinations that there's no way to have a set one that works for everyone. It also means that it would take a while for everyone that tries to find the best combination. Given that, it would be nice to have a repository listing what folks have already tried, including their hardware. At least with that one could start by trying the combination closest to what one has.  

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library