Sign in to follow this  
Guest JackDanielsDrinker

.NET 3.0?

Guest cbeal

Is upgrading to .NET 3.0 do anything special? I've read that the latest ATI drives require .NET 2.0, I'm on 1.1. I'm also using XP MCE. Has anybody upgraded to .NET on this OS recently without any issues?Cheers,Chris

Guest jrboddie

.Net 3.0, 2.0, 1.0 etc are runtime libraries that would be used by the programs that call them. If you install .Net 3.0, it does not replace the 2.0 (or 1.0) installation but is added to the collection of .Net libraries in your system. If an application uses 2.0, it would not benefit from a 3.0 installation so I doubt that you would see any effect (good or bad) from installing it.With XP, the .Net libraries have to be installed for some programs to run--either by a separate install or as part of the program's installation process. Vista ships with .Net 3.0 pre-installed.With the ATI drivers, it is not the drivers that would need .Net 2.0 but the software that interfaces the driver controls to the user (to change AA options etc.)

I did yesterday. I have NET 1.1 and wanted the 7.2 ATI but needed .NET 2.0 so downloaded and installed and then the drivers went in just fine. Actually, the drivers went in the first time, but no CCC control panel. Now it is all working and when I went to shut down my system there were two updates that installed. When I next booted up I saw the two updates were security updates for .NET 2.0. All seems fine here, but with my ATI 9800 PRO no real improvement.Oh - one improvement, before with ATI 6.10 was getting 2D panels of black screen and had to add PanelAsTexture=0 to fsx.cfg which lowered my frames. Now the 2D panels work good without that line.Phill

Hey JR...Don't know why I was confused on this, I thought my 2.0 was an upgrade to 1.1 and was wondering why the 1.1 was still there. Runtime libraries I understand and now everything is normal again.(Slaps himself on forehead and says, "DUH!") :-lolThanks, Phill

Guest cbeal

Thanks,Did you uninstall NET 1.1 first, or just download and install 2.0?Thanks,Chris

>Thanks,>>Did you uninstall NET 1.1 first, or just download and install>2.0?>>Thanks,>ChrisYou don't have to. .NET frameworks are side by side.

Just like Brian said, I just installed 2.0 and now have them side by side. No uninstall required.Phill

>Is upgrading to .NET 3.0 do anything special? I've read that>the latest ATI drives require .NET 2.0, I'm on 1.1. I'm also>using XP MCE. Has anybody upgraded to .NET on this OS>recently without any issues?>>Cheers,>ChrisNope!

Guest JackDanielsDrinker

Just so everyone knows, the FSX sim does not use .NET code. So .NET frameworks don't affect FSX directly. This comes from a post from a FSX dev (I think it was Beatle...).If you use .NET to interface with SimConnect, then you'll need .NET of course.