Sign in to follow this  
Jarnie

Can't find my addon airports

I have just installed the latest Little Navmap and did a load scenery.

I have THREE airports I have added to the community folder which are accessible in MSFS (I can enter them in the flight planner and they exist there)  however in Little Navmap they don't exist (when I enter either their ICAO or airport name in the search window they do not appear.

Do I need to do something to get them recognised by Little Navmap?

Thanks

John

Gigabyte Z390, I7 9700K, 16Gb, RTX2060, Gigabyte 32" monitor

The airports are probably encrypted and locked down by a DRM scheme. This is quite a nuisance in MSFS with add-on airports.

They are locked if you see a fsarchive.bgl file in the add-on folder. LNM can only show the stock airport in this case.

Alex

Thanks. I am unsure what you mean and wonder if that is the reason as I have just added another freeware airport to my community folder which LNM also does not find (after updating scenery) and the other three airports also not seen are ones which I personally have created using Airport Design Editor.

I could not find file fsarchive.bgl in the community folder doing a search.

ALSO I have been told that my airports are NOT in the DRM scheme.

Also I did a screen capture during LNM scenery update than watched it in slow motion and when it displayed Communty folder I only saw ONE file displayed which is in my community folder and that is one which contains scenery objects not an airport. All the other file in my community folder were not displayed.

A freeware airport not seen can be downloaded as freeware at https://flightsim.to/file/17518/ymsp-mount-surprise-airport and it is only 5.8Kb in size so very small and so I am wondering if you could look at this to evaluate why LNM doesn't see it?

Thanks

Edited by Jarnie

John

Freeware should be fine. I just tried YMSP on two test platforms and it loads without issues. It has as strange apron polygon, though.

Do you use any tool to organize the scenery library? Are the airport folders links?

Check LNM options on page "Scenery Library Database" if there are any folders excluded (upper list).
Do not put the airports into a subfolder. It should be ...\Packages\Community\airport-ymsp-mount-surprise-airport , for example.

Alex

grafik.png

Thanks Alex.

Yes all my airports are in the community folder NOT in subfolders within the community folder.

No exclusions in the "Scenery Library Database"

I had also created a thread on another web site and got respones from a number of people who had NO problems which made me wonder was there something special I needed to do when setting up so found a YouTube tutorials and the author shows using the Scenery Library drop down menu to set NAVAIDS to 'do not use'. I tried that and didn't notice anything different so set it back and as soon as I did that my airports were then selectable.

I find this strange, mystifying and a little annoying (undocumented?).

John

Did I get this right, it is working now after selecting forth and back?

The recommended Navigraph selection in the scenery library menu depends:

• If you use the Navigraph update for MSFS: Update the Little Navmap database with the FMS Data Manager as well to keep the program in sync with the MSFS scenery library. Use the scenery mode Use Navigraph for Navaids and Procedures in the menu Scenery Library to get access to all procedures in Little Navmap. This is the default.

Also check the selection in menu Scenery Library -> Airspace Libraries. Select Navigraph and uncheck Simulator there.

• If you do not use the Navigraph update for MSFS: Use the scenery mode Do not use Navigraph Database in the menu Scenery Library to avoid issues with missing or changed navaids.

The selection in menu Scenery Library -> Airspace Libraries should have Simulator checked. Uncheck Navigraph there.

See Navigation Databases and FSX, Prepar3D and MSFS Airspaces for more background information on these settings.

See appendix Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 for information about MSFS limitations and issues.

Text quoted from the user manual (https://www.littlenavmap.org/manuals/littlenavmap/release/2.6/en/SCENERY.html#load-scenery-library-dialog-msfs-apt-navdata).

You can read about the navdatabase selection (Navigraph or not) and what features are taken from where here: 
https://www.littlenavmap.org/manuals/littlenavmap/release/2.6/en/NAVDATA.html

Alex

Thanks Alex,

Firstly YES it is now working (I can select 'new' airports installed in the Community folder) and they display the ICAO in italics.

I am now wondering if the fact that I also have X-Plane installed and I now remember that apart from switching between 'do not use navaids' and use MSFS2020 navaids I also briefly selected (use) X-Plane Navaids and then set it back to MSFS2020 navaid.

Could there be something in LNM for PCs with both MSFS and X-Plane installed on the same PC which can cause a problem?

All I know is that despite removing LNM and downloading a new copy (same version) and also selecting 'load scenery library' more than once I could NOT select any new airports installed in the community folder until I 'fiddled' with the navaid selections.

I can't work out how to add an image here but this is what is displayed when Scenery Library dropdown menu is selected

. 1 Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020     (this is the selected one)

2 X_Plane 11  AIRAC Cycle 1902      (not selected)

3 Navigraph AIRAC Cycle 1801  > (expanded)  Use Navigraph for Navaids and Procedures (this option selected)

Airspace Libraries    etc etc

Alex, where does LNM store the scenery library? The reason I ask is that I have tried to reproduce the problem I had and removed all traces of the installation, downloaded another copy and unzipped it, then run the .exe and windows warns of a possible 'problem' and I select 'run anyway' and LNM starts with the last 'new' airport I selected (before I removed that installation displayed) even before I select LOAD SCENERY LIBRARY. How can a new 'installation' have the airports in the community library already loaded?

Edited by Jarnie

John

Good it's working now.

12 hours ago, Jarnie said:

Could there be something in LNM for PCs with both MSFS and X-Plane installed on the same PC which can cause a problem?

No. LNM can deal with multiple sim installations without issues. I use this a lot for testing. Scenery libraries and Navigraph navdata are completely separate databases.

I can't work out how to add an image here but this is what is displayed when Scenery Library dropdown menu is selected

Unfortunately Avsim makes this more difficult than other forums. See here for short instructions:

Alex, where does LNM store the scenery library?

File locations are explained here: https://www.littlenavmap.org/manuals/littlenavmap/release/2.6/en/FILES.html

The folder is C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\ABarthel\little_navmap_db

How can a new 'installation' have the airports in the community library already loaded?

Settings are stored in another folder according to MS Windows guidelines (C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\ABarthel). Therefore installing again does not change anything. Delete (or better, rename to have a backup) the folder ABarthel for a full reset.

Alex

Thanks Alex. Tomorrow morning I will remove those files and start again to try and reproduce the problem and if I can I will redo what I previously did to try and pinpoint something and report back.

John

Hello Alex

This morning I did a full restart ti try and reproduce the problem I started this thread for. I removed all files from C:\Users\myname\AppData\Roaming\ABarthel and started LNM. IT displayed something like 'loading..' (sorry should have written it down).

I then checked if my new airports were selectable and they were not.

I then noticed (in Scenery Library) that the default flightsimulator had been set to X-Plane so I changed it to MSFS 2020

I then checked if my new airports were selectable and they were not.

I then did a Load Scenery Library

I then checked if my new airports were selectable and they were WERE selectable.

I cannot reproduce the problem HOWEVER I am wondering if the default flight simulator was set to X-Plane at the time and when I 'played around with the settings in Scenery Library and I didn't take notice but did set it to MSFS LATER (at the time I had forgotten that I had X-Plane installed and as I was getting quite 'on edge' trying to find why my new airports weren't selectable I lost concentration. I am assuming that could have been the reason?

John

Hi John,

what you see is expected. By deleting this ABarthel folder you also removed the scenery databases. These are nothing valuable since you can always reload them from the simulator.

The simulator selection can be confusing. Always look at the LNM window title bar which shows which simulator and Navigraph mode is selected. The code is described here with examples:
https://www.littlenavmap.org/manuals/littlenavmap/release/2.6/en/INTRO.html#window-title

So, you can easily connect to MSFS while using the X-Plane scenery library.
I'll add a warning dialog to the next version which should avoid this.

Alex

Thanks Alex

I removed the aBarthel folder so that I could try reproduce the problem I initially logged - so that I had a completely 'clean' situation before starting LNM.

Unfortunately I could NOT reproduce the problem which is very annoying. I really did have that problem and have screen shots to prove it showing the contents of my community folder and (inside) LNM showing entering the ICAO of one of those airports which is not found by LNM.

Anyway I will have to put it all down to 'gremlins'.

Thanks for your interest and replies. Now back to creating flights with the wonderful LNM.

John

John