Sign in to follow this  
andyjohnston.net

Return of an Old Foe

I've noticed something which has come back but I can't remember what was done to fix it.  Looking out the window, everything is washed out.  It's impossible to make out anything unless I press space and raise the eyepoint.  As soon as I put the eyepoint back too a natural positions, everything goes out again.

Has anyone else seen this recur?  Is it yet another present from SU5?

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

This sounds like the eye adaptation feature.  If your view is dominated by something dark (like the panel), then the lit areas will look overexposed.  If you lift your sightline to get most of the panel out of view, the outside looks normal again.  Not sure if this is what you mean, but you can turn the feature off in the UserCfg.opt file by changing EyeAdaptation to 0.  I have not tried this myself.

Don Polidori

They have implemented this eye adaptation feature incorrectly as it seems to depend on how much VC is in view.  The DC-6 is especially bad in this regard.  I did not have much luck turning off the 'Eye Adaptation' option in the UserCfg.opt file but what did help for me was turning off the ColorGrading in the UserCfg.opt file.  The other option which I have had some success with is the Nvidia Freestyle filters.  There are a few that I used and was able to tone it down but I ended up just sticking with turning off the ColorGrading and stopped using the filters.  In any case, I think they need to work on this feature and/or make it adjustable to users.

• Upvote 1

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

Do they not test this stuff or what?  It seems like this would even be caught at the programmer's desk.  I only make this comment because it seems like a lot of the bugs should have been caught way before the update or whatever goes out the door for any kind of beta testing.  I think this is really what frustrates a lot of users.

• Like 2

Jeff Smith

System: i9-9900K@5.0GHz., ASUS Maximus XI Hero MB, 32 GB 3200 Hyper-X RAM, Corsair HX1000i PSU, Cooler Master ML360R RGB, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3, (2) Samsung 860 500GB SSD for Windows 10 Pro and sim, (2) M.2 NVMe 2TB, (2) WD Black 4TB HD for data, Samsung 65" 4K curved monitor @ 30Hz. (Currently running VSync, TB , Unlimited),YOKO+ yoke, VF TQ6+,TPR pedals, Logitech Multi, Switch, and Radio Panels

Software:  P3Dv4.5HF3 Pro, Ultimate Traffic Live, ASP3D, ASCA, ORBX, Fly Tampa, GSX/GSX2, PMDG, A2A, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado, Majestic.

On other computer: P3D v3.2.3, My Traffic 6.0a, PMDG, ORBX, A2A, Captain Sim , iFly, Flight 1, Flysimware, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado

15 hours ago, Flic1 said:

They have implemented this eye adaptation feature incorrectly as it seems to depend on how much VC is in view.  The DC-6 is especially bad in this regard.  I did not have much luck turning off the 'Eye Adaptation' option in the UserCfg.opt file but what did help for me was turning off the ColorGrading in the UserCfg.opt file.  The other option which I have had some success with is the Nvidia Freestyle filters.  There are a few that I used and was able to tone it down but I ended up just sticking with turning off the ColorGrading and stopped using the filters.  In any case, I think they need to work on this feature and/or make it adjustable to users.

Yes this exactly. It truely spoils a good flight.

I also find the DC6 is the worst offender for over exposed scenery although all planes do have this issue. So totally unrealistic.

Turning off eye adaption in the UserCfg.opt file unfortunately does absolutely nothing for me.

‘It is interesting that changing the UserCfg.opt file works for some but not others. 

Yes if they would just make it adjustable.

Michael M

System: AMD 7800X3D II Asus X670E Hero MB II 32GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 II RTX4090 II 2TB NVMe Samsung 980 Pro II  EKWB  CR360 AIO II Dell Alienware - AW3821DW 3840 X 1600 G-Sync Ultimate

If you think that this looks better,

6.jpg

This can be achieved by using these entries in the Usercfg.opt file.

{PostProcess
        Enabled 1
        EyeAdaptation 0
        ColorGrading 0
        Sharpen 1
        Fringe 1
        LensDistortion 0
        Dirt 1
        LensFlare 0
        FilmGrain 0
        Vignette 0
        LensBlurMultiplier 1.500000
        FringeMultiplier 1.000000
    }

and for the sharpest shadows,

{Shadows
        MaxSliceCount 4
        Size 8192

Of course, you may find that these make no difference either.

YMMV.

10 hours ago, Reader said:

You're welcome.

Umm okay...

I'll try these out, haven't noticed the issue in a bit so I'll have too take a look.

I appreciate everyone's input!

Edited by andyjohnston.net

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

On 8/30/2021 at 3:25 PM, Reader said:

If you think that this looks better,

6.jpg

This can be achieved by using these entries in the Usercfg.opt file.

and for the sharpest shadows,

Of course, you may find that these make no difference either.

YMMV.

Tried your settings and a lot better, thanks !

However, like others, even with EyeAdaptation 0, the effect is still apparent, but at least the outside world isn't so washed out.

EyeAdaptation = 0 still results in washed out look for me. I really hope they improve on this. The effect is too extreme.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU