Sign in to follow this  
rservice

Anything like FSnav for FSX yet?

Since I can't use FSX at major airports around the world I've been flying up in Alaska and Canada to remote airports. I'm not familar at all with airports in those regions, is there anything like FSnav or something online even where I can find airports for my next leg of the trip?

Sadly, no... FSNav is in development for FSX, but the author is doing a full rewrite of the program. Not a bad idea, but the FSNav system is SORELY missed in FSX right now. :) (No firm ETA is available)Hoping for it soon though!-Greg

helloWell you could have a look at Flightsim Commander there is a demo availableIt runs outside of FS9, but its planning functions and map are better IMHO.It even checks your plan for airspace violations, shows weather ect.Very nice program and the manual is first class.

Guest waltch

Yes, I understand from various sources that FS Commander seems to be very nice.However, the big advantage of FSNav was always that you did not have to exit FS. You could just quickly push the F9-key and have a look at the map while the Flightsim was running. I only fly in full screen mode, so this is very important.I hope that FSNav for FSX now being developed is still the same in this respect. Otherwise I might switch to FS Commander.Walter

Hi Walter,One of the big advantages of FS Commander over FSNav is the ability to run on a client computer via FSwide. If you have an old computer available setup a network and have the best view on a second monitor. I think that is where FS Commander really shines and for me the only way to run it. My FSX will not allow an alt tab; it just goes off into the twilight zone while ignoring my attempt to bring it back. It is one of the most frustrating and disappointing bugs in FSX for me. Bob...

Guest draky

>Hi Walter,>>One of the big advantages of FS Commander over FSNav is the>ability to run on a client computer via FSwide. If you have an>old computer available setup a network and have the best view>on a second monitor. I think that is where FS Commander really>shines and for me the only way to run it. My FSX will not>allow an alt tab; it just goes off into the twilight zone>while ignoring my attempt to bring it back. It is one of the>most frustrating and disappointing bugs in FSX for me. >>Bob...I second that - FS Commander for me on wideFS 2nd monitor. Great customer support too.

Thanks for the reply's guys, I like FS Commander just not sure if I want to spend $45 on it right now. FSX is still by far my second choice of sims, so I really don't want to throw alot of money into it. I did download the Demo and put it on my Wide FS machine so things might change quicky.Thanks for the help!!

>Since I can't use FSX at major airports around the world I've>been flying up in Alaska and Canada to remote airports. I'm>not familar at all with airports in those regions, is there>anything like FSnav or something online even where I can find>airports for my next leg of the trip? >>Hi Dave:Like yourself I relied on FSNav to navigate around the world when I used FS9.Since it appears to be sometime before FSNav will be available for FSX I have been generating my flight plans re: the default GPS system which I never used in FS9.I installed FSBuild which is compatible with FSX and this is where I generate my Flightplans, which are then exported to FSX.When FSX boots up I go to the flight planner and load my flightplan which I previously generated and I am then set to fly my plan via the GPS.If you are looking for way points I use Flightaware which will allow you to copy and paste Flightplans from just about any airport in Canada and United States.Hope this helps you do some more flying in Canada and U.S.A.Kenny G.

Hi Bob; if you Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up the Task Manager - you can right-click on FSX.exe and select "Bring to Front". This will make FS10 active again. It's a bug.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Kenny,Not so much looking for waypoints as much as just out of the way airports that might look like fun to fly to. I also use Flightaware for flight planning and then copy and paste into Fsbuild. The problem is ( Which is not a huge deal ) Flightaware has some issues with ICAO codes, especially in Alaska, and of course there is no data for VFR aircraft flying to some of those remote places.I put FScommander the Demo on my WideFS machine and am going to mess around with it. But when I fly with FS9 I can always take some time and just explore Alaska and Canada with FSnav and write down the spots that look like fun. Like I said, not a big deal at all.

Guest 2002cbr600f4i

There's also CoPilot 3.5 from Abacus that works with FSX. While not in the same class as FSNav or Commander, I think it will do what you're looking for.The only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't generate flight plans that can be loaded by the default FSX GPS unit, you have to use the EzGPS instead (comes with CoPilot) which doesn't have the nice moving map.Some things that I DO like about CoPilot:1) Can do realtime tracking2) Can filter Nav Aids, airports on the map3) Can even filter out airports based on runway length, surface, lights, and ILS4) Can quickly bring up approach charts and airport information along with all radio freqs.5) drag/drop point/click route planning (MUCH easier to use than the built in planner in FSX)Also, it's a relatively inexpensive package, so if you're looking for something cheap and easy, I'd say it's worth looking into.--Mike

>Hi Bob; if you Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up the Task Manager ->you can right-click on FSX.exe and select "Bring to Front".>This will make FS10 active again. It's a bug.Hi Paul,I was aware it is a bug. (referenced in the FSX read-me). However, I have not tried your suggestion. I will and thank you. :)Bob..

FSNav on FS9 is like "Sterling" on silver.And hopefully it will soon be....FSNav on FSX is like "Sterling" on tin.Oh well as an old Chicago boy, I stole the line from the old Wanzer Milk Company....Bob (Las Cruces, NM):-lol

HelloI thought Flightsim Commander 8 works with both sims