Sign in to follow this  
scoob

Search function not working

Probably depends on where or what forum you are searching on!

Screenshot 2021-08-31 7.10.51 AM.png

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Well it most definitely isn't working for me as I at the time of this post again searched for 'Boeing' (a test string as for sure Boeing is commonly discussed) and zero nothing nada is found.

This started now four days ago and I'm skilled in searching these forums as I have been a member since 'the old days'.

Edited by scoob

D. Scobie, feelThere support forum moderator: https://forum.simflight.com/forum/169-feelthere-support-forums/

27 minutes ago, scoob said:

Well it most definitely isn't working for me as I at the time of this post again searched for 'Boeing' (a test string as for sure Boeing is commonly discussed) and zero nothing nada is found.

This started now four days ago and I'm skilled in searching these forums as I have been a member since 'the old days'.

What forum are you in when you try your search?  A specific forum or in the forum index page?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

As has been my experience for, oh 10+ years, when I transitioned from using a desktop to smartphone for 95% of my online activities, there is no option to choose which forum to search.

My searches have been working until 4 days ago. Something has changed within the AVSIM code.

My steps are: 

I touch the search icon and then get a search menu.  Options are 'content' or 'members'.  Then there are multiple search parameters, NONE for a specific forum.  I then touch the SEARCH button 

ZERO items are found so it is clear the search fiction isn't working.  Indexing? The mobile interface was locked out of the search index?

Edited by scoob

D. Scobie, feelThere support forum moderator: https://forum.simflight.com/forum/169-feelthere-support-forums/

OK, I think I see what you are saying.  Instead of clicking on the ICON first, just type in the word and then hit the magnifying glass icon.  Other than that, you may need to use the "Contact Us" and report the problem directly to ADMIN.

Charlie Aron

22 hours ago, Iadbound said:

search doesn't seem to work.

Through a off-forum communication I was told -

"Search queries are probably the hardest-hitting tasks on the forum servers, and when a bunch of people are doing it, sometimes the servers can't keep up. I believe that the commercial forum software we use dynamically sheds search load when necessary to preserve response time."

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, scoob said:

Through a off-forum communication I was told -

"Search queries are probably the hardest-hitting tasks on the forum servers, and when a bunch of people are doing it, sometimes the servers can't keep up. I believe that the commercial forum software we use dynamically sheds search load when necessary to preserve response time."

Excellent information!  I pinned the topic for future reference.

Charlie Aron

Happy New Year.
The search function seems to be broken again, the forum reports 84 members and 1601 guests active.

Edited by Reader

AVSIM tech notified!  Happy New Year! 🥳

Charlie Aron

Well it's broken again, either that or search functionality has been drastically reduced. You can't choose what forum you want to search (there is no advanced search any more). Under "Content Search" there is no mention of "forum", let alone a means to select the forum you want to search in, as there used to be. If it automatically searches the forum you are in that's all very well until you search again too soon. Then you get taken to an error page (which belatedly tells you how much longer you should have waited to search again). Then you have to navigate back to the forum and re-enter your search because you can't easily get back to the search page.

I understand searches must be limited because of server load but there will be a much bigger server hit if every search looks at all content. Also you get a lot of irrelevant matches that way too. Controls over what area you want to search in are essential, surely?

ki9cAAb.jpg