Sign in to follow this  
Mace

FSX and Vista problems...Acceptable performance but...

Guest Babubhai

Hi guys,I've recently done a clean install of Windows Vista Ultimate 32-Bit and I've installed FSX on it. The other thread here about FSX and Vista discusses about poor performance, however my performance in FSX is acceptable (similar to that in Windows XP) But for me with Windows Vista the textures are blurry in FSX. The aircraft textures, VC textures etc are all blurry. My graphics card is a PNY NVIDIA 7900GTX 512MB PCI-E...Initally I had the NVIDIA 97.46 drivers, then I updated to the 100.65 (current latest drivers), I even tried using Vista's default graphics drivers. But the problem is persistant.I've tried playing around with the anistropic settings and other filtering settings in FSX and in the NVIDIA control panel, but no luck. I've also tried disabling the Windows Vista Aero theme, and using the windows standard themes.I just cant figure out what the problem is. Has anyone experienced similar problems. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.Other settings in Vista:Total available graphics memory = 1007MBDedicated Video memory = 512MBSystem Video memory = 0MBShared system memory = 495MBSpecs:NVIDIA 7900GTX 512MBAsus P5N32-SLI MOBOIntel Pentium 4 D 950 @ 3.4GHZ2GB KINGSTON ValueRAM PC4200 DDR2 RAMMaxtor 200GB SATA drive

Guest sfanger

Just a thought . . . I seem to remember where that phenomena is being attributed to the fact that both ATI and NVIDIA have yet to get the DX10 drivers properly tweaked. If this is indeed the case, a few more revs of the drivers should solve your problem.Good LuckSfanger

Guest Babubhai

Just installed FS9 on Vista...Blurry textures in the VC...

That IS a separate standalone 7900 video card, isn't it?RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest wyoming

between the card and FSX is rather tricky. I seem to get best results blurry-wise when I select aniso at 8 or 196 within the card and aniso from FSX as well. For the AA I select app controlled and check it in FSX. What I'm saying is that there are many possible combinations there and they don't all appear very logical.

Guest Babubhai

I dunno, I've tried loads of different combinations nothing seems to have effect.The same prolem is with FS9 as well. I ll try and download a few game demos to see how they run.It must be some kind of memory related problem...Thats what I am assuming.

Guest JackDanielsDrinker

From what I have seen, FSX first loads a lower resolution (blurry) texture when it needs to show something (terrain, etc.). It then calls up the higher resolution textures to replace the lower resolution textures. This process can take a little time.On your system, this process might be taking way too long. One thing you could try is pause the sim for 5-10 minutes. This should be plenty of time for FSX to load the sharper textures. If they load, then we can assume that they're loading much too slowly, and try to solve that problem.If the blurries still don't go away, it might be a different problem.

What FIBER_FRAME setting are you running?RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest scotthendry

Hi all:I've seen a LOT of debate about whether to go to Vista or not. I just bought a new machine and purchased Vista Home Premium just to run FSX. FSX runs fine with it, but I'm going to uninstall Vista and put XP on the new machine. Why? Because I just discovered the as well as some compatibility issues that Vista has with my old XP programs, It also doesn't like the old style help files. So If you port any older programs to Vista, forget about using the help files! How dumb is that Microsoft???