Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Anyone own an eBike?

I'm just curious if anyone here has an eBike. I just ordered one yesterday and expect to get it in a few more days.

The one I ordered is a "Radrunner Plus" edition. It has a 750wh motor and a 47 amp hour battery.  I hope this isn't an expensive mistake, but hopefully it will provide some beneficial cardio exercise. 🙂

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I've got a Specialized e-Bike. I have ridden standard road and gravel bikes for years but love the e-Bike.

With variable power assist you control how much workout you get. Just taking a little edge off some of the hills is helpful in still getting some aerobic workout without feeling like you might die trying to get to the top of a climb and then knowing you have more that you have to get over to get home.

A couple areas I also find very useful in my rides:

1) If you're riding with others at a higher skill level it lets you ride with them without putting out extreme effort or slowing them down.

2) In areas on roads where the safety is reduced, like where there is no shoulder, I use more boost to cut the time I am in those areas down to a minimum.

3) On some of the rides that used to be at my limit that I would have even more difficulty doing now as I get older the e-bike let's me still ride them, get plenty of exercise and enjoy the ride. A friend that rides an e-Mountain Bike tells me where he would be worn out going up/down trails/hills a few circuits on his old mountain bike he uses the mountain e-bike to do the same circuit 5 or 6 times.

I hope you enjoy your bike; I have had mine for a few years now and put a lot of miles on it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZoblebV8 said:

I hope you enjoy your bike; I have had mine for a few years now and put a lot of miles on it.

Thank you for the tips. The Radrunner Pro has 7 speed shift, 5 levels of pedal assist, and a twist throttle. I am thinking I might order another battery pack, but at $549 I'm not sure it would be all that useful.

I am blessed that there are extensive paved bike trails here in Lake County Indiana. I foresee myself mostly taking short rides to the grocery store, bank at first, and then gradually exploring up the trail from my house to the southern shore of Lake Michigan.

The only major concern is the weight. Eighty-four pounds may make it hard for me to get in/out of my house via the front steps. Hopefully the "walk assist" feature will make that an easier task.

I plan to install a ham and GMRS HT on the handlebar so I can be a "bicycle mobile". Heck, I may even carry one of my HF (high-frequency) radios out to the Wolf Lake Recreation Area for some portable operations! 🤗

Fr. Bill    

You might want to hold off on the extender battery and do some riding and then evaluate whether you can make use of the extender. I got one for my specialized and found out I really don't need it. I only take it on longer rides and its main use is psychological for range anxiety.

My bike is 320Wh base battery and 160Wh for the extender and most rides I never even come close to needing the extender (and most of my rides are between 20-40 miles and I rarely charge to 100%). The bike is only 27 pounds so for an e-bike it is light, and of course the range will decrease depending on how much assist you use and the terrain. From what I can see the RadRunner is 672Wh for the main battery so unless you routinely ride more than 20 miles on hilly terrain with a lot of assist I suspect that will do fine for you.

My butt has become more of a limiting factor on my bike ride lengths than the battery... 🤪

22 minutes ago, ZoblebV8 said:

My butt has become more of a limiting factor on my bike ride lengths than the battery...

I suspect my major limiting factor will be both my butt and my creaky back. I had two herniated disks at L4/L5 operated on some 20 years ago, and they still sometimes give me trouble.

All Rad Runner bikes now use the same sealed battery pack at 48vdc, using Samsung cells. The pack itself weighs 7.5 pounds. I will hold off buying a backup battery until I've gained some actual perspective about my actual needs.

I had briefly considered a 'folding eBike' but after further reflection decided it would most likely fold catastrophically considering my 220 lb weight! 🤣

Fr. Bill    

31 minutes ago, n4gix said:

I suspect my major limiting factor will be both my butt and my creaky back. I had two herniated disks at L4/L5 operated on some 20 years ago, and they still sometimes give me trouble.

All Rad Runner bikes now use the same sealed battery pack at 48vdc, using Samsung cells. The pack itself weighs 7.5 pounds. I will hold off buying a backup battery until I've gained some actual perspective about my actual needs.

I had briefly considered a 'folding eBike' but after further reflection decided it would most likely fold catastrophically considering my 220 lb weight! 🤣

I have the folding it's not worth it.  It's so awkward folded there is no easy way to move it.  It would easily support 220 though, it's made really well but so well it weighs 70 pounds!  They are heavy bikes.  Also invested in a suspension seat I'll send you the brand and that helped immensely!!  I've never used the backup pack.  You can get a good 50 miles even without peddling, if you use PAS3 which is my favorite it will go an entire weekend.  I've hit 34 downhill with the wind at my back in a full tuck LOL!! 

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

I got mine in the summer of 2020. It's from Evolo, a Seattle company that ships nationwide at no extra cost and guarantees their bikes for 4 years or 20,000 miles. My model has a Gates belt drive and a continuously variable automatic transmission that makes it so very much easier for an old guy who had little experience with 12-speed shifters. The belt drive is maintenance-free as is the transmission and automatic shifter, and the belt has a rated lifetime about twice that of a chain, meaning that at my age I'll never wear it out. No rattles, no oil, no broken links.

I got it to rehab a recent total knee replacement, and I swear by it for that purpose. Studies have shown that ebikes for senior citizens are as good as or better than unassisted bikes for maintaining cardiovascular fitness, mainly because they get used rather than collecting dust in the garage. Mine has 6 assist levels including zero, and I do 80% of my rides at 0 or 1. That gives me about 45 miles on a 90% charge, so I've no use at all for an extra battery (one for my bike costs over $600).

Edited by milleron
  • Like 1

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master; Ryzen 7 5800X; Noctua NH-U12A; Asus TUF RTX 3080; Samsung 970 EVO +, 1TB, PCIe 3; 32GB DDR4 3600; Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo; Saitek rudder; Air Manager 4; LG 34GK950f-b monitor; 16" touchscreen and Knobster for AM; TrackIR; Stream Deck (as yet, not set up)

My brother up in Schaumburg enjoys those bike trails too, everything is relatively flat which is perfect for longer ranges on those eBikes, you may not need a range extender unless you are dealing with hills or head winds. Surprisingly enough a good headwind can drain a battery faster then the hills, drag creates a lot of resistance, on good clear days you should be sweet 

Matthew Kane

I learned something that, while it will never affect me, does make me wonder at some pol's sanity.

In Tucson, AZ it is fully legal to ride an eBike anywhere except in traffic lanes. In fact, Tucson promotes itself as the "Bike Capital of the World" in much of their advertising!

However, Pima County owns and maintains a spectacular 136 mile "Loop" with frequent rest rooms, benches, bike repair areas, water fountains, et cetera. Unfortunately eBikes are prohibited... Go figure!

The Chuck Huckelberry Loop - Pima County

Fr. Bill    

@n4gix  Bill -  do you intend to get a motorcycle license?  I think I remember you saying one was needed for ebikes in Indiana?   I hope to get an ebike in the future but I'll have to get a motorcycle license here in Alabama.  I can't wait to show up at the DMV with a bicycle to take the test.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

One thing worries me, Bill!  You said that walking around the block was not a good idea because of balance/falling issues.  Now, how good is your balance going to be, at speed, on an ebike?  🤔

Maybe a 3-wheeler would have been a better option?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

1 hour ago, sightseer said:

@n4gix  Bill -  do you intend to get a motorcycle license?  I think I remember you saying one was needed for ebikes in Indiana?

Class 1 and 2 eBikes do not require a license in Indiana or Illinois. What I had written previously was in reference to a motorcycle endorsement on one's driver's license. The endorsement is gained by taking a separate driving test conducted by the State Troopers assigned to that task.

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

1 hour ago, charliearon said:

One thing worries me, Bill!  You said that walking around the block was not a good idea because of balance/falling issues.  Now, how good is your balance going to be, at speed, on an ebike?  🤔

Maybe a 3-wheeler would have been a better option?

Charlie, that is one reason for me opting to buy from Rad Runner. They allow a 14 day free trial. As long as the eBike has <= 10 miles on the odometer, the eBike is undamaged and the request for refund is made within the 14 day period, it can be shipped back at their expense. The only catch is that it must be re-packed using the original box, packing materials, etc. 

As you may recall, gyroscopic action provides most of the 'balancing' required. By using the motor to get started slowly, the bike itself should provide the balance. In any event, I plan only to ride up and down my paved alley for short distances until I've proven the concept!

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

I wonder if I have an old pair of crutches you can borrow?  🤕

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

My wife recently purchased a Rad Cargo Wagon 4. She loves it. She took one for a test ride earlier. She uses it because she needs knee replacement surgery and is now experiencing hip problems.

Just some advice, eBikes can achieve relatively high speed. I use a MeBike, 100% powered by me. My average speed on a flat surface is 28-31 km/h. My bikes are pretty much all carbon and I have eBikes pass me with some ease. I would highly recommend investing in a decent helmet. Either a lite motorcycle/scooter helmet or at the very least, a cycling helmet that uses MIPs system. Also, maybe purchase a very loud, high frequency bell, I find most pedestrians are clueless, especially when sharing a thoroughfare with them. 

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Don't blame for my name, my parents were hippies and met in Woodstock