Sign in to follow this  
Rolfspan

Impossible to set trim.

I have spent the last two days tring to set trim on aircrafts, both MSFS default and Cessna Longitude v1.8.5 as well as the TBM930 0.6 improvement mod. There are no other files in my community files other than the two planes above. I have a Saitek /Logitech  X56 HOTAS. all other settings appear to work fine but the Trim is proving to be impossible to set. I have tried all essential options but no luck. It worked fine a few days go. the only change is that I installed the latest NVIDEA driver 471.96. I can't imagine that would be problematic.

Any ideas to solve this will be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Rolf

What do you mean about "impossible to set"? Is trim not actuating? Is it too sensitive?

vatsim s3

1133704.png

13 minutes ago, Rolfspan said:

I have spent the last two days tring to set trim on aircrafts, both MSFS default and Cessna Longitude v1.8.5 as well as the TBM930 0.6 improvement mod. There are no other files in my community files other than the two planes above. I have a Saitek /Logitech  X56 HOTAS. all other settings appear to work fine but the Trim is proving to be impossible to set. I have tried all essential options but no luck. It worked fine a few days go. the only change is that I installed the latest NVIDEA driver 471.96. I can't imagine that would be problematic.

Any ideas to solve this will be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Rolf

There were some issues relating to trim key or controller assignments, after Service Update 5.

I would try deleting all assignments that you have, relating to elevator trim. Then restart MSFS and reassign them. This worked for me.

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

How are you trimming? I find huge inconsistency between aircraft and highly variable response between mouse trimming v. trim wheel trimming. I believe trim wheels that work as an axis between 0-100% (rather than incremental devices) are more reliable and I'm developing software to map incremental trim wheels to axis trim wheels. It's for my AuthentiKit products but should work with any incremental trim wheel. https://authentikit.org/authentikit-trim-wheel-calibrator-for-msfs/ 

Edited by Spit40
  • Like 1

Varjo Aero, Zotac 3090, i9-12900K, 32GB Ram, RX Viper Rudder Pedals, AuthentiKit Controls + Fulcrum Yoke

atk-logo-354.jpg

Once i assigned the trim, and saved it and go back to resume to see if it works there is no response on the trim portion of the wings. I tried all options and essential options relating to Trimming but no luck,. I also deleted all assignments and restarted MSFS, and still no success. I am trying to use the #2 button on Saitek X56 Throttle which has worked before. 

Hi,

You could try going into the AI autopilot assistance menu and disable auto trim - see if that works! 

5 hours ago, Rolfspan said:

I have spent the last two days tring to set trim on aircrafts, both MSFS default and Cessna Longitude v1.8.5

There are buttons on the Longitude yoke that are trim up and down. I've also assigned two buttons on my joystick for trim. Works fine. I usually set about 3.2. trim up on the Longitude. 

Gentlemen, I appreciate your assistance. The AI Autotrim was off. Joy.cpl gets me to C:\WINDOWS\system32> and no further. The buttons on the Longitude respond but sporadically. I can't figure out how to get it to the number such as 3.2 . Again I tried assigning every category of elevation and it will not respond in planes. I even rolled back the latest Nvidea driver update. but no Joy. I am sure there is an answer but maybe not before the next update. Thanks again.

Rolf

• Like 1

SU5 messed up something for me too, the trim assigned to my Thrustmaster 16000M stick got way too sensitive, but the trim wheel on my Logitech Pro Flight panel was way too slow. 

So essentially one click on the stick, and then trimming like a mad man on the trim wheel to adjust. 

Hope you figure it out!

• Like 1

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

1 hour ago, Rolfspan said:

Gentlemen, I appreciate your assistance. The AI Autotrim was off. Joy.cpl gets me to C:\WINDOWS\system32> and no further.

Start > Run > joy.cpl SHOULD open a Windows applet which allows you to test your controllers.  If it doesn't, you're not doing it right.

If you use axis and ohs software (about $25), then you can make the trim wheels in the planes spin slow, medium, or fast. Or any speed in between. Throw a switch to make it spin slow. Throw another to make it spin fast. You disable the trim assignments in MSFS and reenable them all in AAO (axis and ohs).

I set up a fast trim and slow trim command on my TM Warthog throttle that way. But you can use any controller (or you can use AAO to assign trim to unused keys on your keyboard just as easily). I did this for rudder trim but it works identical for elevator trim.

Easy peasy and does not have the bugs that plague MSFS command assignments (I gave up trying to trim with those).

About the 5th message in this thread.

Using keys on your keyboard programmed with AAO, (instead of programming controller buttons with AAO) is a good idea for those without something like my Warthog throttle (It has 32 buttons and a POV hat and 3 axis (2 throttles and a slider). The Warthog stick has about an equal number.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Hi All. Success at last but I am at a loss how it happened. I did follow Elcaro's suggestion, found Joy.cpl and went through the exercise and all buttons and items responded. Perhaps that corrected something that was amiss. I also re-updated the latest version of Nvidia driver 471.96 which I had previously rolled back. 

Thank you all for your help with his exercise . All suggestions will be kept in mind going forward. I suspect that challenges will continue to happen as MSFS keeps improving.

Rolf

• Like 1

My trim buttons are also ultra sensitive now since SU5. 
Even in the default C172 I have to try to tap my trim up / trim down buttons for just a microsecond, or else I am climbing and diving up and down with an over-adjustment.

This sensitive trim issue was fixed once many moons ago, but like other small bugs that were previously fixed (Like remembering airports on the world map, cockpit camera adjustment limitations etc.) it has been pulled back in from another build of the sim that wasn't fixed by the look of it.

I know sims are complex with millions of lines of code, but I wish they could get on top of these regressions. 
I fully realise that nobody does this on purpose, but they could do with investigating why this happens, as I am sure they don't want happening either.

• Like 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Ok.. After 2 months away from the sim, last night I came back (again) and did the update, and this morning did a first (and successful) flight in the 172...  but. . .when I left-click on any switch, yoke-hide, or trim-wheel, etc., I get a foolish fluorescent "information-type" graphic popping up and masking the item, with a dotted square and a "?" in the center; I'm assuming I'm supposed to select a KB button here, but I don't want to have to remember every single assigned switch - I want to use the blasted mouse button to turn on my taxi lights!!!!  I may be blind, but I've gone through the controls setup, and all my original throttles, yoke, pedals, etc., assignments are still there - and work - and the 152 flew better than I've ever experienced, but how do I get back to my bog-standard mouse-click to get rid of (a) the yoke, and (b) get back to all else that was a "normal" mouse click or wheel function in this and all the other sims since kitty was a pup? 

Edit...    General Options -> Accessibility -> Cockpit Interaction Systems...

Cheesh.

pj

Edited by Paul J

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.