Sign in to follow this  
EmaRacing

A New Mandatory Update is available, except it isn't

Also facing the same problem after over a month of inactivity

MSFS. Hardware: AMD 5600X @4.0Ghz, Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT AIO, MSI MPG B550i Gaming Edge WiFi mobo, RTX 3080ti 12GB FE GPU , G.Skill TridentZ Royal 32GB (2x16) DDR4-3600 RAM CL16, PNY XLR8 3030 1 TB SSD (OS + SIM), Crucial P5 1TB M.2 pcie-3 NVMe SSD (data) . Corsair SF750 80+ Platinum PSU, NZXT H200i Mini ITX Tower.  38" LG UltraGear  38GN950-B display. 4x QL120 fans

18 hours ago, conundrum said:

You’re able to start the game with no internet connection? For many of us, it will insist on a login to the M$ account, and refuse to run if trying to play offline.

Yes, I didn't expect it to work because of the usual antipiracy nonsense, and yet it started.

• Like 1

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

18 hours ago, conundrum said:

You’re able to start the game with no internet connection? For many of us, it will insist on a login to the M$ account, and refuse to run if trying to play offline.

Yes, I didn't expect it to work because of the usual antipiracy nonsense, and yet it started.

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

3 hours ago, neil0311 said:

For some…for a few. Not for everyone.

Absolutely.  Performance is stellar, visuals very good, a few minor niggles here and there but after deleting UserCfg.opt & FlightSimulator.cfg (because I installed a new GPU & Driver) I have yet to have a CTD, except a few days ago in P3D not far out from my destination airport :sad:

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Absolutely.  Performance is stellar, visuals very good, a few minor niggles here and there but after deleting UserCfg.opt & FlightSimulator.cfg (because I installed a new GPU & Driver) I have yet to have a CTD, except a few days ago in P3D not far out from my destination airport :sad:

I deleted all of UserCfg.opt except the last line denoting the installation path of MSFS 2020. Before doing so I was running locked at 30.fps. After the deletion of everything except installation path, and restarting MSFS 2020 and pointing download to original installation path, I am now running at about 70 FPS. All settings are the same as before. Strangest thing I've ever seen. ... I just reran MSFS 2020 and it is still running at an average of 70 FPS.

From the time of original install, I was running a GTX 1060 with 6 gigs of video ram. I'm now running an RTX 3060 with 12 gigs of video ram. It's apparent to me, that a new UserCfg.opt file has increased my framerate considerably. Fascinating!  - and I didn't have to download the whole program, no download at all.

• Like 1

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

On 9/2/2021 at 9:11 AM, ffantasy67 said:

Hi Gents,

Couple of days ago I had the same annoying issue.

Scrolling this thread on MS community I tried one of the solutions proposed that is uninstalling and reinstalling XBOX app, and it worked (in MS store the update for MSFS magically appeared). Obviously not sure if that really was the root cause of the problem ("new mandatory update" box show stopper).

Cheers,

Thanks, it worked! Now... 3GB update...

Hello, everyone. I also have had to struggle yet again with FS2020 updates and the latest mandatory mess was an aggravation I could have done without.

I almost gave up on FS2020 this time. The fix was discovered by having to spend time researching posts by kind hearted sim enthusiasts sharing on the internet ... What a terrible way to have to operate a sim purchased from a mega rich company.

The fix was downloading the X Box app on my pc. How flippin' manipulative and controlling by microsoft again.

I rarely use FS2020 as it's just not like flying a real aircraft which I also do so I know actual differences. Too arcade like and too limiting.

I mostly operate P3D4.5 despite the eye candy scenery offered to us by the old man in the microsoft raincoat luring us down the remote laneway ...

P3D4 has a vast range of aircraft types availed from the likes of PMDG, Carenado, CS, etc and the scenery is quite good. It runs so well and doesn't have BIG BROTHER mandatory updates which ambush you and shut down your limited time available to enjoy your sim.

Kind regards,

Good flying to you all.

• Like 1

I came on here to post this, but I noticed someone else has already posted a similar "success" story to finally getting the "mandatory update". While continually clicking "check for updates" just to be given the same message over and over that there isn't an update, I search "xbox" in the Microsoft Store. An app came up that I didn't have on my PC, so I installed it. Once opened, MSFS was one of the games listed. I tried opening it and it eventually gave me the same mandatory update message, taking me back to the Microsoft Store home page. I clicked on "Downloads and updates" and then "check for updates" once again. It finally worked!!

So for those of you who like checklists: 

If you don't have the xbox app, think you might, not sure at all:

1. Go to the Microsoft Store

2. Search for xbox app and install it

3. Open newly installed xbox app, sign in if it doesn't automatically sign you in, and then return to the "downloads and updates" page in Microsoft store and click "Check for updates". If it doesn't work, try opening MSFS through your newly installed xbox app, wait for the prompt to update, and then return to Microsoft store to check for update.

If you already have the xbox app on your PC:

1. Try signing out and back in, or better yet, uninstall the xbox app completely.

2. Once uninstalled, follow steps 1-3 above.

I hope this helps!

when I started downloading the latest update the game crashed and I could no longer get the game/update to run. I tried lots of different things.

what worked for me.....I had to uninstall MSFS2020 within Windows apps. Then went to the Windows store(logged in) and downloaded the entire game. Up and running and honestly it seems more  stable with better graphics...............but it's still very frustrating the way MS is dealing with this game.

I had the same issue of "A New Mandatory Update is available. Please Update Microsoft Flight Simulator in Microsoft Store before launching..." yet when I go to the store no updates are available.  In my case, I attributed it to the likelihood that an update at some point auto-installed but my external SSD which is home to MSFS was not plugged in.  I guess a full uninstall / reinstall is in my future, as well as a note to self that I need to turn those auto-updates off, at least for MSFS.

Always remember to Find Your FUN!

-Bob

I had all these symptoms (mandatory but unavailable update).  Tried a lot of the suggestions here, but nothing worked.  Finally, I noticed that the Xbox App was not installed in the MS Store.  Installed, and it immediately found the FS update.  Hope that helps !

On 9/2/2021 at 4:11 AM, ffantasy67 said:

Hi Gents,

Couple of days ago I had the same annoying issue.

Scrolling this thread on MS community I tried one of the solutions proposed that is uninstalling and reinstalling XBOX app, and it worked (in MS store the update for MSFS magically appeared). Obviously not sure if that really was the root cause of the problem ("new mandatory update" box show stopper).

Cheers,

Congratulations!! You did the trick!! Thanks!!

On 9/15/2021 at 9:05 AM, flyguy88 said:

I came on here to post this, but I noticed someone else has already posted a similar "success" story to finally getting the "mandatory update". While continually clicking "check for updates" just to be given the same message over and over that there isn't an update, I search "xbox" in the Microsoft Store. An app came up that I didn't have on my PC, so I installed it. Once opened, MSFS was one of the games listed. I tried opening it and it eventually gave me the same mandatory update message, taking me back to the Microsoft Store home page. I clicked on "Downloads and updates" and then "check for updates" once again. It finally worked!!

So for those of you who like checklists: 

If you don't have the xbox app, think you might, not sure at all:

1. Go to the Microsoft Store

2. Search for xbox app and install it

3. Open newly installed xbox app, sign in if it doesn't automatically sign you in, and then return to the "downloads and updates" page in Microsoft store and click "Check for updates". If it doesn't work, try opening MSFS through your newly installed xbox app, wait for the prompt to update, and then return to Microsoft store to check for update.

If you already have the xbox app on your PC:

1. Try signing out and back in, or better yet, uninstall the xbox app completely.

2. Once uninstalled, follow steps 1-3 above.

I hope this helps!

Hello,

Thanks a million. It works but offensive initials not allowed is this !

Franck

spacer.png