Sign in to follow this  
Matchstick

Top Gun Movie and presumably MSFS tie-in pushed back to 2022

2 hours ago, cmpbellsjc said:

Haven’t heard anything yet whether it will also be moved to 2022.

They just released the 'final' trailer a couple days ago, still said September 30th.

Edited by Tuskin38

I hope the Top Gun addon is still a go as normal. If not this most likely could delay the progress of the sim regarding, fighter jets, carriers, SDK stuff, systems, ect..

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

2 hours ago, Tuskin38 said:

They just released the 'final' trailer a couple days ago, still said September 30th.

Yeah I saw the new trailer. Still wouldn’t surprise me if they jump on the bandwagon and move it to 2022 if other movies also start getting bumped. Keeping fingers crossed for Oct 8th release in the US.  🤞 

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

7 hours ago, Bdub22 said:

I can promise you, Hollywood is not slowing down for flight simulator. 

Probably not, but it's worth being aware that in movies such as Top Gay, erm I mean Top Gun, where the military co-operate with a film production company, they do have a lot of say in what does and does not go. Examples of this in the original Top Gun movie include several script changes which were mandated by the Navy. Notably the opening sequence which was originally in the script as taking place over Cuba, was changed to international waters, and the 'MiG-28s' which are the enemies of the F-14s could not be more geopolitically non-specific in terms of nationality if they tried. A scene where an F-14 crashes on the deck of the carrier, which was originally in the script, was also scrapped because the Navy didn't like it. Maverick's character was originally supposed to be having a relationship with a female enlisted member of the Navy, but the Navy vetoed that one as well because of the problem they had with an Officer fraternising with an enlisted person, so she was re-written to be a civilian contractor aerobatics instructor, but this role was re-written again to her being a tactics advisor because there was at the time a genuine female civilian contractor at Miramar who advised on carrier defense and air superiority, whom the scriptwriters met. This female real life character who was the inspiration for the Kelly McGillis character, was in fact US Deputy Defense Secretary Christine Fox, who served in that tactical advisor role at Miramar and who was of course later in the Obama administration in a pretty senior role. 

More recently, the new Top Gun film has the patch on the back of Maverick's flight jacket, which is supposedly from the character's dad who was also a Navy aviator, undergoing some quite severe editing to suit the current political climate in appeasing China because of the potential for box office receipts there, so you don't now see the Japanese and Taiwanese flags on that patch, and there is no mention of the USS Galveston's tour of duty on it either. Thus there are definitely things which can be forced on a film production company as evidenced by this, however, the one worth really noting, is that the US Navy were pretty happy with the effect Top Gun had on recruiting, whereby applications for flight roles in the US Navy reportedly went up by five hundred percent when Top Gun was showing. The US military is certainly not behind the door when it comes to how valuable such movie cooperation can be, and they are similarly aware of what computer games can do too, as evidenced by the fact that the US Army publishes its own free to download and play online first person shooter game - America's Army - and very good it is too, actually better than a lot of ones you pay for. So the notion that the US military, and as a result the films it has a good deal of approval over, are not going to be interested in a tie in with what is likely to be a massively popular bit of software on the computer console which many adolescent young lads, who may be considering signing up, play on a regular basis, would be very naive.

The US Navy might not be able to hold up the release of the movie, but the idea that they have no sway whatsoever over it, since they are a branch of the US Government (which does have a lot of ability to affect that), would be incorrect, and if they thought they could get more recruiting mileage out of it by it linking to a popular computer console release, then you can certainly see them at least having something to say about that and at least trying to influence such a thing if they at all could do so.

Not saying that's going to happen of course, but let's say just it's not entirely inconceivable. To paraphrase those good old movie trailer deep voiceovers... In a world where a fake film production can be conceived in order to facilitate a real-world hostage rescue, and then that real-life operation itself be made into a film. Sometimes, nothing is what it seems.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Did the studio push it back, or perhaps Mr Cruise had a little to do with ensuring decent box office figures and publicity on release whenever that finally is...... 🤩

Well, if that expansion is anywhere near what we have today in DCS with the F/A-18, F-14 and Super Carrier expansion - I will eat my old CH flightstick 🙂

IMO, It would be better for them to focus on Helicopters or gliders that make sense for MSFS...

• Like 1

Ryzen 7800X3D | Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX MB | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | RTX 3080 GPU | Sound BlasterX AE-5 | Windows 11 Pro x64 | Virpil T-50 Throttle | T50 CM2 Grip + WarBRD | VKB T-rudder MK IV | Asus PG279Q 1440p | Valve Index VR | Samsung 980 Pro as system disk and Intel 665P SSD for games

1 hour ago, RobF2 said:

Did the studio push it back, or perhaps Mr Cruise had a little to do with ensuring decent box office figures and publicity on release whenever that finally is...... 🤩

It got pushed back because Mr Cruise is busy looking for his stolen BMW - impossible mission surely.

• Like 2

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

5 minutes ago, hanhamreds said:

It got pushed back because Mr Cruise is busy looking for his stolen BMW - impossible mission surely.

They found it a short time later. Still looking for the big cushion though so he can't drive it just yet. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, reignman40 said:

I hope the Top Gun addon is still a go as normal.

Jorg said it has to release with the movie, as it includes story related stuff. So if the movie is delayed, the DLC is delayed.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mazex said:

Well, if that expansion is anywhere near what we have today in DCS with the F/A-18, F-14 and Super Carrier expansion - I will eat my old CH flightstick 🙂

IMO, It would be better for them to focus on Helicopters or gliders that make sense for MSFS...

FSX acceleration had carriers and an F-18. I just want that basic functionality back so addon makers can expand on it. Doing this DLC also helps the core sim.

And they are working on helicopters, the Volocopter is the first step towards that. The Top Gun DLC isn’t  delaying it.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the DLC is basically finished and just waiting for the movie to release.

Edited by Tuskin38

47 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

Jorg said it has to release with the movie, as it includes story related stuff. So if the movie is delayed, the DLC is delayed.

Yup my guess too. Im actually really happy about that news lol 😄 We are making a plane related to that DLC, and it WOULD NOT have been ready for the DLC launch. 😄 

Nor really a fan of the military aircraft. Not quite a pacifist, some wars have been worth it but not many. Definitely don't like to see it glorified.

Just hope Avsim have the sense to start a military MSFS sub forum otherwise this forum is going to get a little too gung ho for me.

I appreciate that my views are probably in the minority here, just thought I voice them anyway.

• Like 2

i7-4790k @ 4.4ghz for the moment. Asus z87-k mobo. GTX 1080, 32gb ram. couple of SSDs....Saitek X52

1 minute ago, GaryK said:

Nor really a fan of the military aircraft. Not quite a pacifist, some wars have been worth it but not many. Definitely don't like to see it glorified.

Just hope Avsim have the sense to start a military MSFS sub forum otherwise this forum is going to get a little too gung ho for me.

I appreciate that my views are probably in the minority here, just thought I voice them anyway.

it is a fair point. but also, keep in mond that warbirds and military aircrafts are incredible flying machines, wich is what we are all about here. 🙂 Glorifying the machine, not the war. Plus, i dont think it really makes a difference if we do or not. 

22 minutes ago, GaryK said:

I'm not a fan of war either, if it ended globally tomorrow I'd be very, very happy. That said, the machines are still beautiful imo. And many of them are also very interesting, when you look at warships, submarines etc.