Sign in to follow this  
G-RFRY

SKUNK WORKS for V5.

SKUNK WORKS Aircraft for V5 Free at SimMarket.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Downloaded the Harrier from Simmarket but only got core files so aircraft is blacked out and Sim Skunk Works website is only advertising for MSFS ? which files am I missing ?

Regards

Alain from Montreal

Edited by aljones

Hi

All the Sim Skunk Works add-on aircraft needed a separate download for the actual aircraft textures and panel textures from the previous Sim Skunk Works web site which now appears to have been taken down, you will probably find the same issue for the moving map files for the Tornado and Harrier, not much help I know and you would think that SimMarket would be aware of the extra download requirement.

Jim Hodkinson

Well it is a shame, I would have like to try the Harrier... maybe Simmarket will get the missing files

Regards

Alain

There might be a solution for getting the textures of the v5 aircraft. The texture files were always separate from the models sold on web stores, so had to be downloaded from the SSW web site (which no longer provides the links). The Wayback Machine has an archive (dated 30-10-2020) of the SSW web pages with links to Dropbox files that appear to contain exe files for installing the textures. I don't think I'm allowed to post the links here, but search on Wayback Machine for the SSW web site. The first one I found was SSW.FRF104G-Installer-P3Dv5-TEXTURES-1.0.0.exe (which superficially seems legit). I'm not at home so can't download to verify. Maybe someone can download in a VM and scan to check the contents (or is that paranoid)?

2 hours ago, aljones said:

Well it is a shame, I would have like to try the Harrier... maybe Simmarket will get the missing files

1 hour ago, BostonJeremy77 said:

Yes, I ran into this. Has anyone let them know about the issue?

Does not anyone read their reciepts ???

The download links are in the simMarket reciept, they are all dropbox downloads.

Also the need to download the texture pack has been covered previously in this very same forum.

Cheers

• Like 3

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

Well... I read my receipt, downloaded the core installers and then the textures.

And have installed just the REPUBLIC F-84 F THUNDERSTREAK for the moment.

Found a couple of little issues.

The Effects files "ssw_engine_start.fx" and "ssw_touch_down_smoke.fx" were missing, both are in the MCDONNEL DOUGLAS AV8B II HARRIER so easy to get.

The Effects file of "ssw_fx_browning.fx" is missing its top header line of [Library Effect] also easy to add via a text editor (I use NotePad++).

Will probably comes across a few other things along the line.

Clearly an FSX model but still quite the fun plane to fly, not much in the way of docs though unfortunatelly.

Cheers

Pics over Florida

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Edited by Rogen
  • Like 1

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

Just a bit of a followup.

The plane has its quirks but still fun and a challege to fly, easy to pull G's and also easy to go outside of the envelope and end in a spin especially when performing a hard turn.

I was having trouble with landing gear not going up/down fully, flaps doing the same and blowing hydraulic pumps.

Thought it might be the plane's a bit of a dud, decided to find and download an actual 1954 F-84 manual and there on page 5 it talks about not touching flaps till landing gear is locked, else you'll use up the hydraulic pressure and if you do what I was doing (flipping swtiches back and forwards) on gear and flaps the pumps will blow.

Now I know what I'm meant to be doing it's been no probs since.

The plane also has an option for a HUD and AOA gauge, not truly representative of the era but do add a fun factor.

Pic showing the HUD and AOA gauge to the right of the G meter.

Cheers

• Like 3