Sign in to follow this  
spacedyemeerkat

Whats the deal with reinstalling FSX again?

Guest The_Pharoah

Hi allMy new super-duper pc should be arriving in a day or two however I remember there was some crap flying around about how you're limited in how many times you can reinstall FSX - I'm planning to install all my games (incl FSX obviously) on the new pc - is there going to be any problems?Cheers

So far I've installed 4 times. 3 times on one hard drive and 1 timeon new SATA with no problems with key code.ce

I've reinstalled FSX around six times and have had no issue with activation. This has been on two different PC builds, too.Speaking of activation, the Vista naysayers may be interested to know I've now installed the same copy of Vista three times across three different configurations (one of these is a different PC, a completely new one I've built on which Vista will remain for good) and I've had no problems whatsoever with activation.Oh, and FSX runs swimmingly well under Vista :D

Ditto. On completely new hardware (motherboard, RAM, CPU and GPU), using the Vista Ultimate Upgrade media, I had to call Microsoft and was asked only if Vista was installed on any other machine. I received the 42 digit code in under 3 minutes. FSX activated without hesitation.So much for activation worries across varying platforms.Regards,Jim Karn

I can only assume the people who were moaning about it all have missed the posts both you and I have made, Jim :D

Guest allcott

Pauls post tells us that the security procedures are not adequate, and Jims that the inconvenience of having to use telehopne reactivation defeats the very object of the software.Thanks guys!Allcott

>Pauls post tells us that the security procedures are not>adequate, and Jims that the inconvenience of having to use>telehopne reactivation defeats the very object of the>software.Allcott, I can safely say your humourous post makes a genuine change to the out and out negative ones you usually make ;)Thank you for the belly laugh!

I guess I'm laughing too because I agree with Allcott.:)RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest iwantmydc3

>Hi all>>My new super-duper pc should be arriving in a day or two>however I remember there was some crap flying around about how>you're limited in how many times you can reinstall FSX - I'm>planning to install all my games (incl FSX obviously) on the>new pc - is there going to be any problems?>>CheersYou know, this is an interesting question-I have been an AVSIM reader since FS200, and joined the forums when FSX was realeased, to see how people were doing with it (even with my old computer at the time I KNEW I was gonna buy it anyway, lol); and have seen everything from "Everything's fine, no problems," to "It's a total nightmare, can't install, can't activate, can't reacttivate," etc.From what I undestand, the license SAYS you can activate FSX three (3) times by on line means. After that, supposedly, you must call MS and explain why you're installing again. Evidently this is not a good thing to have to do, as MS has outsourced its basic level support to somewhere in India.So the best answer I can give you for this is-it depends. It will depend on the hardware your system has, if it comes with Vista or XP, and several other things. One of the strangest things is, people with much more powerful machines than I have more problems with FSX; I still don't understand this, but it just is what it is. One little trick about MS software that you must "activate"-they reset in 180 days. (Oops it hasn't been that long since FSX was out, oh well). The advice I would give here of course, is first and foremost, do a backup of all your data, make sure you have all the installation files or disks and license keys, etc, for any programs (and add ons) you have BEFORE you close out the old system and start working on the new one. Finally, good luck ;)