Sign in to follow this  
tkgato

New to the Grumman G44A Widgeon

Hello,

Thank you for bringing this plane to MSFS2020; absolute joy to fly it!!

Is there any available information as to the engine operations?

I am currently unable to push the manifolds past 15in during cruise flight and the carb. temps are running very hot.

Also, do you have any plans to update the engine cover textures in a way that when you look out the window in VR you are not greeted by such low res texture?

Thank you again and keep the good work on this plane.

Regards,

3 hours ago, tkgato said:

Hello,

I am currently unable to push the manifolds past 15in during cruise flight and the carb. temps are running very hot.

At 9000 ft I can get 21in of MP with the throttles full forward, mixtures leaned for max RPM (2500), and the CLY HD temps are about 360 deg. IAS is about 153MPH.

Lots of info here including engine performance:         http://www.grumman-widgeon.com/documents.html

Al

Edited by ark

3 hours ago, tkgato said:

Hello,

Also, do you have any plans to update the engine cover textures in a way that when you look out the window in VR you are not greeted by such low res texture?

Thank you again and keep the good work on this plane.

Regards,

Glad you like it as this was our first bird we used to learn the new sim development process. 

The manual can be found here. MANUAL LINK

There is an engine chart we used to get specs for the engine. I will Ask Ark to share the chart as i only have a hard copy.

These engine performance charts show what settings for specific altitudes. This helps for fuel efficiency like cruising economical or cruising max power settings based on altitude. But keep in mind that the sim has limitations and we found that the manifold and the rpm can never match exactly. So we stuck with the rpm for the chart and the manifold does a pretty good job. 

Not sure what you mean can't push past 15in as at 130 Knots or 150 Mph which is cruise i have 19in at sea level. At 8K feet i am also 19in but i am also slightly leaning the mixture to get that extra power to maintain 150 Mph.

Icing for carbs happens below 70 F and i am showing 75 F with the carb heat on at the same specs i last posted which was 8K feet.

This was a P3D bird we ported over and so i did the best i could to upgrade all the textures and the exterior is 4096 for the wings and engine cowling. We used Substance to add magic to have full PBR effects. If you see low res then make sure you have your sim graphics not on low or medium as this takes the textures and reduces them by half. That is most likely the issue.

Hope this was helpful.

Edited by Flysimware
  • Like 1

Thank you for your prompt response and support.

I did look at the manual and yes, I understand better how to use the engines now.

Its a great plane to fly and thanks for the AP functions, makes it a great cruiser as well.

On the subject of textures, I do have a recent PC system and Im running at high settings, when I look out the window I can see the bolts of the exhaust pipe are some how modeled, however the rivets of the engine cowl are low res which was my observation in the beginning. Is there an email I can send you a picture of what I see?

Besides that detail the plane is great!! 

On 9/3/2021 at 4:32 PM, ark said:

At 9000 ft I can get 21in of MP with the throttles full forward, mixtures leaned for max RPM (2500), and the CLY HD temps are about 360 deg. IAS is about 153MPH.

Lots of info here including engine performance:         http://www.grumman-widgeon.com/documents.html

Al

Thank you for the information. I did some trials at different altitudes and yes, I can see how it works. The link if very useful! Regards!

4 hours ago, tkgato said:

Thank you for your prompt response and support.

I did look at the manual and yes, I understand better how to use the engines now.

Its a great plane to fly and thanks for the AP functions, makes it a great cruiser as well.

On the subject of textures, I do have a recent PC system and Im running at high settings, when I look out the window I can see the bolts of the exhaust pipe are some how modeled, however the rivets of the engine cowl are low res which was my observation in the beginning. Is there an email I can send you a picture of what I see?

Besides that detail the plane is great!! 

Good to hear you are enjoying the Widgeon. 🙂

My understanding is the plane was ported over from P3D and significant 'realism' upgrades were made to the systems, sounds, and flight model, and some of the textures where upgraded as well given work time constraints. Currently there are no plans to make further textural changes.

Al

Edited by ark

19 hours ago, ark said:

Good to hear you are enjoying the Widgeon. 🙂

My understanding is the plane was ported over from P3D and significant 'realism' upgrades were made to the systems, sounds, and flight model, and some of the textures where upgraded as well given work time constraints. Currently there are no plans to make further textural changes.

Al

I do quite enjoy it!

Thanks for the information. Cheers!