Sign in to follow this  
tjrush

Weather Engine

In P3D I have been using Active Sky with ASCA.  I realize that this is personal opinion but, what weather engine is recommended for MSFS?

Tom

You're going to get a lot of answers. Mine is that you use either REX Simulations or MSFS 2020 native which is what I use. I tried REX and it did not go well. I've no idea if there is yet other choices.

United001

Windows 10 Pro, version: 10.0.18363 Build 18363 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 8 Logical Processors; Mobo: Z390 Phatom Gaming 4S-IB: Physical Memory: 16Gigs; GPU: NVIDIA GeForce FTX 2080 Super, 8 Gigs; 500Gigs Hard-Drive; 1TB SSD; 1TB SSD; 50" Samsung 4K Flat-screen monitor; 26" LG side-car monitor. Saitek Yoke and Throttle. Saitek Rudder Pedals.
Screen Resolution: Full Screen: 1920X1080 Full and Windowed modes. 

There's not really a great one yet.  The default "live" weather is decent for a general depiction of enroute weather, but sometimes is very far from actual conditions upon landing.  Asobo is planning to overhaul their system come 2022 I guess.

• Like 4

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

24 minutes ago, tjrush said:

In P3D I have been using Active Sky with ASCA.  I realize that this is personal opinion but, what weather engine is recommended for MSFS?

Pretty much what Ryan said.  I have REX also mainly as an option, if I want METAR-based, but I find myself generally using the default weather to avoid sudden transitions.  I'd say overall there really isn't any "great" option.

Also -- I notice your signature -- there is a KTEB for MSFS now I believe.  Released not to long ago.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Mace,

Is this the one by Dreamfleet Studios?

Tom

Edited by tjrush

Tom

Yes I have it as well - one of the nicest sceneries.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Is the Contrail Installation required (Manager system) any problem?

Tom

I've not had any issues with Contrail.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

1 hour ago, ryanbatcund said:

There's not really a great one yet.  The default "live" weather is decent for a general depiction of enroute weather, but sometimes is very far from actual conditions upon landing.  Asobo is planning to overhaul their system come 2022 I guess.

Actually my flight today was a great example.  Live MSFS native weather was several hours behind real time.  So much so that from Merriville, Indiana, on the way to Kansas City, I should have encountered showers for perhaps the first 30 minutes into the flight.  And nothing severe.  Instead I encountered severe weather from takeoff all the way to Kirksville, Missouri (IRK) when I stuck with MSFS live weather.  So from time to time I switched to REX Weather Force.  It presented me with more accurate weather.  But as I tuned various ATIS/AWOS frequencies along the way for updates the weather reported by MSFS was totally off song.  Altimeter settings were the only element even close to either real time, real world weather, or the weather that was presented in the sim.  And despite clear skies around Kirksville, I was hearing thunder for at least 30 minutes when in clear skies.

It has been perhaps 25 years since at least one sim or another provided much more accurate weather.  Considering that the technology has been available this is a real embarrassment.  And as far off as it was, my experience today was better than its been for perhaps 10 previous flights.  That however is not a good observation.

• Like 2

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

3 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

There's not really a great one yet.  

I agree with Ryan.  As far as I know, there's no external weather engine capable of depicting accurate spatially resolved weather, meaning you get whatever metar you're closest to globally, then when you move to another metar, the weather resets globally.  No moving into fronts, no thunderstorms in the distance, etc. 

Once we get Active Sky for MSFS, along with a decent AI package, I'm all in.  Until then it's P3D with AS/ASCA and VoxATC using AIG for me.

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

8 hours ago, tjrush said:

I generally use Unreal Weather (free addon) and it is quite fine (of course can be improved more). Metar based and matches the online (Vatsim) weather. Strongly suggested. In game menu is easy to use. ( I think better than REX or MSFS native Live Weather)  Just give it a try.

https://unrealweather.blogspot.com/2020/09/unreal-weather-live-metar-released.html

Edited by kt069
  • Upvote 1

Intel i7-9700K - Asus Nvidia RTX 2080 Super - 32 Gb Ram - SSD Drive - Win10 x64 - Samsung 43" 4K TV

The only addon weather engines I know and have tried are REX (payware) and Unreal Weather (freeware). They do pretty much the same and set the weather according to the nearest available METAR station. I fly a lot in areas where METAR stations are scarce or automated (i.e., they do not observe precipitation or cloud coverage), and in these cases both products do not help much. I then use MSFS weather if it looks reasonable, but if it is obviously wrong (e.g., the infamous thunderstorms), I use Unreal Weather. I haven't used REX in a long time.

Peter

• Like 1

As for now i highly recomend to use default weather. Rex have maybe better metars but terrible weather transitions.

Edited by Cyrex1984