Sign in to follow this  
1mikel151

Stupid Stupid Stupid Installers

Guest panda234

What's with the installers? I go to Start/Programs and I have zillions of entries for every addon imaginable, and hello, I don't access them from the Start/Programs I access them from FS. I go to Add/Remove programs and there is a zillion there. Both are so cluttered I can't find what I'm looking for and they're totally useless entries. So I decide to remove a bunch of stuff because I'm not using FS9 and FSX is a ways away for me so I remove 5 or 6 programs because they're in the Add/Remove section which means they probably have directory entries for whatever reason, and zap my system. I don't know which program it was but one of them has screwed me up so bad I can't get to User settings or run Netscape or download Automatic Updates etc. etc. I'm furious. I've spent hours on it so far and am going to have to resort to a full reinstall of XP because some yahoo gets a kick out of having his/her name in everyone's Start/Program section. What's the deal? My addons should go under FS where I access them, not all over the map. This is stupid stupid stupid. Bill

If you used Add/Remove in the Control Panel then you do just what it says...you Add or Remove a program completley. Any addon will go just where you tell it to go. Simple as that. Use System Restore.

Hi Bill,I agree with you 100%. I complained about this around two years ago and I was told I didn't know what I was saying. Try the system restore and see what happens.Good luck,Ed

I agree.Scenery is what bugs me especially. I install it. Fine. Then I get this entry in Start/Programs to all sorts of documentation and websites. I don't need this! I don't use this. The scenery is installed. If I want to read the doc I'll go look for it. It's just clutter.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Hello! This a "feature" of "Windows XP" (and Vista too). It has nothing to do with the "installer" package anyone uses...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I agree - the use of installers for ADDONS creates a myriad of programs in the Add/Remove list. It does NOTHING for the user (sometimes customer). This stuff can be installed with simple scripts. I have avoided addons (sub-sets of the FS series) that insist on pretending to be independent programs. The installed programs should be just that - independent programs. Regards,Dick Boley

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

>I agree - the use of installers for ADDONS creates a myriad>of programs in the Add/Remove list. It does NOTHING for the>user (sometimes customer). This stuff can be installed with>simple scripts.No, it cannot. A "simple script" wouldn't be able to detect if the end user has installed FS in a non-default folder, for example.Most installers will allow you to "install" to any folder you want though, after which you can move the stuff wherever YOU want it to be......then, delete the temp folder you installed to, and use the Remove Programs route to delete the "Uninstall" entry from the list. This way, any license files or registry entries won't get purged as well.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

How about the installers that don't let you install to any folder. I have had some that completely removed other programs without uninstalling themselves. And yes it did pertain to flight simulation.Ed

I guess users want installers, because they are a PITA to do. Spend more time on the installer than the addon. I suppose MS wants you to use the registry and add/remove mechanism as a "good programming" practice. I just drag the new program groups to my flt sim group and don't worry about it. But I would like a no-installer option. But then I imagine many support emails flow in from users self-installing.I use a little PCMag util "In Control 5" which takes a snapshot of the registry and file system before and after and generates a report of the deltas.I can see though where there are textures replacement or default file de-activation that having an un-installer saves a lot of screw-ups.scott s..

Well done installers are the only way to keep your computer clean and in good operating condition.Any addon which needs to replace or change a default file definitely needs an MSI compliant installer and backup of default files. (Ultimate Terrain, Active Sky, etc.)Even freeware folks like Mike Stone will tell you that using installers has eliminated a huge majority of his support questions.As Bill pointed out, you can always use a temporary folder and uninstall the item after putting it in your correct folder.Another item I do once a month is open the All User Start menu in Windows Explorer and 'clean up'I have a folder under Microsoft Games where all the Misc installer stuff goes, that's if I don't decide to delete it outright.I also remove anything which was installed under my profile Start Menu and put it under All Users.I also edit the registry to remove the Add/Remove programs links to most stuff.That said - most payware should not be deleted from Add/Remove Programs, though you can move around the Start Menu folders.

What? Clickteam installers are easy to make, and make an uninstaller for the user too...I made one a long time ago for a gmax scenery and it made its own uninstaller toohttp://www.clickteam.com/eng/index.php

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Gotta say-while complaining..for me the installer thing is less of a problem for me than when I spend Us 25+ for an add on-then never get notice for an upgrade...I love for instance tracker ir when run the program-gives the latest news and detects whether I have the latest and greatest driver on startup-a model for everyone.Some add ons I have spent quite a bit of $$$$ on-a well kept secret when there is an upgrade-no email, no program notification-nothing....with all the add ons I have-I have not the time to research every day when an upgrade is available-I have a life-I saved the company a cardboard box with a cd by directly INTERNET downloading-more profit for them-is it too much to expect a notice by email or an automatic upgrade thru the internet when a update/patch is available?http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

Problem is lots of installers are not set up correctly to not leave the registry entries. I can understand payware products that are complex needing to have menu entries, but not freeware files and smaller payware files.Best to make a practice of installing into a temp folder and move it over then uninstall.I do lots of 3D/CGI rendering and gets lots of content from a site called DAZ, their installers always ask if you want the uninstall/registry entry, which I always opt out of.Regards, MichaelKDFWNot anti FS9, just pro FSX!

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI-x16 / AMD

Best, Michael

KDFW