Sign in to follow this  
SAS443

Disgruntled confessions of a private pilot

Hot takes incoming!

So tired of our PA28's right now (I rotate between 4 individuals). Since last year I've had:

• Transponder quitting in flight, twice.
  • Turn coordinator, same as above, (VFR day so not a big issue)
  • Head-set jack malfunction
  • Battery drainage before engine start (hand crank necessary by experienced pilots)
  • flat tire when arriving to the hangar for pre-flight inspection. 
  • bottomed out oleo strut when arriving to the hangar for pre-flight inspection, twice.
  • Alternator failure. This one happened yesterday and I suspected something was fishy when ammeter was glued at approx 20amps constantly and LOW VOLT Warning-light never extinguished. After 3 traffic circuits I asked ATC to cancel my flightplans and I returned the aircraft to the hangar.

Luckily , these issues are quickly dealt with by the mechanics, but it sucks when you have planned for a flight and it just fizzles like a balloon. Sad violin 🎻

Am I just unlucky or would any of you more seasoned veterans say this is normal? I'm just a 100hr pilot.

Edited by SAS443
  • Like 2

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

Sounds like a race car...  It's not if it will break, it's what will break this time.   Only difference is we can pull off track and get out, you not so much!!!

• Like 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

23 minutes ago, psolk said:

Sounds like a race car

perhaps folk-race car would be the proper analogy  😅

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folkrace

• Like 1

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

What you describe, and I have dealt with many times IRL too, but in a somehow much simpler ( when not involving having to get the wings off on an old timer ) way, with gliders, is the kind of stuff I once dreamed about being modelled in a flight simulator.

I know some authors and add-ons for FS9,X / P3D / X-Plane 10,11... have done their best to recreate malfunctions, either due to misuse or random, but I never really came across something that would give simmers a closer to real experience ...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

31 minutes ago, SAS443 said:

perhaps folk-race car would be the proper analogy  😅

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folkrace

In France there is the 24 hour of LeMans in the US there is the 24 hour of Lemons... 

https://24hoursoflemons.com/

The photos here are great!

https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/events/a1691316/24-hours-lemons-sells-out-man/

Best car ever...  You have to root for the space shuttle though!!

Hope this at least made you smile sorry for the hijack!

24 Hours of LeMons sells out to The Man! | RK Motors Classic Cars and  Muscle Cars for Sale

24 Hours of Lemons is like the 24 Hours of Le Mans — just funnier and  cheaper | Sporting News

Edited by psolk
  • Like 2

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

I mis-read the title of this post!  I thought it was private confessions of a disgruntled pilot!  LOL!!!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

1 hour ago, jcomm said:

but I never really came across something that would give simmers a closer to real experience ...

To my mind there is noting about static flight simulators on your desk top or laptop that even approximates the real experience.  You do not have that thought resting in your subconscious that something might go wrong.  You are not unconsciously looking for a place to land in case of emergency when you look at the scenery around you.  Your ears are tuned the engine, again unconsciously listening for something that's not quite right.  You do not have the seat of the pants feeling when making a turn or running into turbulence.  You will never have the satisfaction of feeling your own wake when executing a perfect 360 degree turn in the practice area.  You are not constantly alert, looking for other traffic.

I'm going to catch hell for saying this, but you are just playing a game.  It's a lot of fun, but it's still only a game that I enjoy several hours a day because I can't fly the real thing anymore. 

Noel

Edited by birdguy
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 2

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Fully agree, it's not more, and not less, than a game...

Yet, there are aspects which could be enhanced and even contribute to bring the simmer attention to rw details.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

31 minutes ago, birdguy said:

You do not have that thought resting in your subconscious that something might go wrong.  You are not unconsciously looking for a place to land in case of emergency when you look at the scenery around you. 

Very well spoken. You point out one of the reasons why I prefer flight simulation over the real thing. I wouldn't be a good real pilot, I get nervous too quickly and would be uneasy for the entire flight. The main reason, however, is that simming is so much cheaper and convenient.

Peter

All of my experience was in ownership pools (not flying clubs) but that is now over 30 years ago.  My experience in all three I participated in, spread over nearly 20 years, was that maintenance and upkeep tended to rise to the level of the most insistent co-owner, and the rest of us benefited.  By written agreement, costs were shared, pro-rated on hours logged. Our wives settled any arguments.  "You have me and now kids. Get it fixed!"

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Well, a well-maintained aircraft is important.

Minor items that is U/S is ok under VFR.

I don't own a time share, actually, I did, but the plane was well maintained by a owner who is an AME with a a regional airline.

And another option for me is to rent from a local reputable flight school where I got my license and has a good service history on the fleet.

I can relate to mechanical break downs from time to time even for a rental, so it happens, but what it comes down to it is to make the correct decision to call it off but rather than looking for a place for forced landing, but as a pilot, you are always on the lookout for a good place to land regardless.

Good luck and have fun!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, birdguy said:

I'm going to catch hell for saying this, but you are just playing a game.  It's a lot of fun, but it's still only a game...

Truer words were never spoken. There is no such thing as "immersion" when sitting at a desk. Besides, these days it's all about eye-candy. I think the percentage of folks who actually "fly" the aircraft is probably pretty small. It's a good game to be sure, but that's all it is.

• Like 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

3 hours ago, avistudent said:

but what it comes down to it is to make the correct decision to call it off but rather than looking for a place for forced landing,

My wife and I and another couple had taken off in a Cherokee 180 from Ogden Utah for a flight to Canyonlands.  I overflew Salt Lake City alright but as I was approaching Provo where we were supposed to turn east over the Wasatch I saw some bad weather up there.  I turned the aircraft aruond and flew back to Ogden.  I told the couple that was flying with us that I wouldn't risk weather and we would take the trip another time.

Many sim flyers don't realize the dangers.  What goes through a real pilots head while he is flying is never even thought about by sim pilots.

There have been a number of times I had planned a flight but had to call it off.  Once when I was waiting for a student pilot to return with the aircraft when the FBO phone rang.  It was the sheriff.  The student had crashed and was killed while trying to take pictures of her house while flying solo.

As safe as they make it these days flying is still a potentially dangerous game.  Sim flying is not.

Noel

• Like 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

1 hour ago, birdguy said:

As safe as they make it these days flying is still a potentially dangerous game.  Sim flying is not

For sure.

Statistically the most dangerous private pilot is a 300hr middle age male. Who typically uses summer months to stay current and doesn't go near an airplane for the rest of the year. I think it's extremely hard to maintain airmanship/skills (call it what you want) this way.

I try to fly every month, and I have done a few sessions focusing solely on emergency procedures like power off landings, power on/off stalls, slow flight. I record some of these with the GoPro for de-briefing purposes.

I know I'm not a natural flying ace/raw talented aviator (very few of us are!), I need rehearsals and time in the airplane in order to be a safe pilot. 10 hours in july  every year, will not make me a safe pilot (But if it works for others, good for them)

Edited by SAS443

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |