Sign in to follow this  
BWBriscoe

Private jet for P3D5

I've just been watching a video about the new Gulfstream G700 and it made me want to start exploring private jet flying.

Is there a study level (i.e. PMDG, Fslabs) private jet simulatio for v5?

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz  
64.0 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

Other than the PMDG BBJ, nope. But the Flysimware Lear + Flight1 GTN is close.

Edited by Chapstick
  • Upvote 1

The Carenado XP850 (HS125) is in my simple opinion very good. Study level? depends there is no manual for the systems (they have an extensive collection of tutorial videos for you to get to know the systems online instead) but then you could not control or alter them for real either, the HS125 was always a simple aeroplane for real. You can take off without flap, it has the same wing as the DH comet, the Viper engines were simple little units they climbed like a rocket just did not go all that far, short to medium range only. Carenado did a really good job on the EFIS FMC (MFD) systems and they do require a fair bit of understanding. I have the Flight Replicas Dominie (Military HS125) as well, the HS125 was a brilliant little aeroplane, simple robust and a real goer. That is why they made and sold thousands of them for real. Comparing the real flight manuals for the real HS125 XP850 to the sim models - there is not much missing or not modelled. It is the only small jet I fly in the sim. Others may have their own preferrred ride!

I enjoy the Carenado Phenom 300. It's not study level, not even close, but it looks nice and is simple to operate. The built-in G1000, in common with other Carenado aircraft, is a bit terrible, but I use it with the standalone Flight1Tech G1000 simulator instead and have the internal glass disabled, and I believe there's a mod to put the RXP GTN in there instead. 

+1 for the Flysimware Lear. I would prefer a more modern model personally but it's definitely much more detailed than most bizjets for P3D.

I bought Carenado's Premier 1 which uses Proline avionics but I only played with it for a day or two then got shot of it. It seemed OK, and I might bring it back at some point but I would need to somehow get my G1000 hardware to work with the avionics.

It seems like the bizjet space doesn't get much love. Hard to get the manufacturer licenses, and since most of them use very complex glass avionics these days, it's a lot of work to simulate the systems, work which most don't want to do; hence why the Carenado G1000 version for each aircraft is usually missing large numbers of features. And given the current situation with The Sim That Shall Not Be Named, I doubt there will be many new or improved bizjets over what we have now. A real shame. 

Temporary sim: 9700K @ 5GHz, 2TB NVMe SSD, RTX 3080Ti, MSFS + SPAD.NeXT

I'd also add in the FSW Falcon 50.  Better with RXP but a nice sim without that as well.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Flysimware Learjet +1

Edited by rob0203

3 hours ago, Gridley said:

I'd also add in the FSW Falcon 50.  Better with RXP but a nice sim without that as well.

This was my favorite (although an FPS hog..) until I discovered the working title CJ4 mod for MSFS.. it's hard to go back to the Falcon unfortunately. I really wish someone like PMDG would drop a great business jet..

4 hours ago, BWBriscoe said:

Is there a study level (i.e. PMDG, Fslabs) private jet simulatio for v5?

To find a study level private buz jet on par with PMDG or Fslabs a\c is a "very" tall order. 

--If you're looking for "Old School" biz jets the already mentioned Flysimware Lear 35 & Falcon 50 are very good & I am enjoying them in version 5.1 Hf 1. FSW also offers good support and they now offer a UNS-1 FMS expansion pack for their Lear 35. The Extreme Prototypes Lear 25 is great as well and I am assuming both Lears and the Falcon work fine in 5.2.

--If you're looking for a more modern "Glass" cockpit bizjet, from what I read "buyer beware" of the Carenado Pro-line Glass cockpit (Falcon 50 EX) and their Prodigy Glass Cockpit (EMB 505 Phenom 300 & others with the same system). I do have the Phenom 300 and enjoy it only because I have the GTN 750 mod installed. I also understand there is a GTN 750 mod for the Falcon 50EX. Maybe some individuals can give their own opinions & experience regarding the Carenado Prodigy & Proline avionics systems as well as the FMS Carenado uses in their bizjets. 

I do have and enjoy Carenado's Cessna XL560. It is old school with the option for the GTN 750 integration.

Hope this helps your decision making process.

My go-to for this kind of flying is the PMDG Boeing Business Jet (BBJ1)--when flown lightly loaded (~4-8 pax) and with extended range tanks, its performance characteristics (acceleration, climb, range etc) are pretty similar to the Gulfstream IV/V bizjets I used to fly.  It has integrated airstairs, and even animated limos for bringing your party to the jet.

The FSW Falcon is my second-tier option...panel graphics are a bit yesteryear, and the GTNs aren't really a great option for long flight plans, especially overwater legs with oceanic lat/long waypoints that aren't found in the Garmin database.  I'm hoping they'll port the UNS that they just did for the Lear into it to provide a better long-range nav option.  It is still fun to fly, and requires more hands-on attention as it lacks autothrottle and some of the other more advanced automation found in the BBJ.  Its performance is more akin to the older Gulfstream III, with transatlantic flights requiring stops at Gander and/or Shannon, for example.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

20 hours ago, Gridley said:

Do you you still have to fly around with significantly outdated nav data? Id love to install one of these units but not with a 1909 airac.

Cheers

Steve Hall

1 hour ago, cowpatz said:

Do you you still have to fly around with significantly outdated nav data? Id love to install one of these units but not with a 1909 airac.

RXP is up to cycle 2004 so it's pretty good.

Edited by Gridley

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

1 hour ago, Gridley said:

RXP is up to cycle 2004 so it's pretty good.

April 2020 and we are Sept 2021. Not good for online flying really. I'm surprised that there hasn't been a reproduction unit developed that uses updatable data other than the data morsels that Garmin throw out spasmodically for the trainer software.

Cheers

Steve Hall