Sign in to follow this  
Guest SSDriver

FSX - FMS Functionality?

Guest SSDriver

Are there any add-ons yet that handle basic functions for using a FMC? In particular maybe a 737? I typically fly the 737PIC and PMDG 737 packages in FS9, I haven't spent a bunch of time exploring FSX yet but I don't recall seeing anything built in to the default planes which was really shocking to me. It's of course very possible its there and I haven't found it yet. If thats the case... I stand before you for my ignorant pilot flogging :)Thanks for any info.

Guest Len

No fmc in default planes. Nothing more to say.

Guest SSDriver

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad I'm not crazy. I *am* quite surprised though that MS didn't add this functionality even in a minor capacity. Oh well that's why there is an add-on market! Thanks Again

Guest jonasbeaver

the feelthere erj has a free update that allows it to work in fsx, the fmc in that works too, I am enjoying that bird again...

Well you can look forward atleast as some great aircraft with FMS is on the way.

The ACES team made several posts on this forum, and blog entries before FS was released.They have a couple choices.They could build a generic FMS which is an extension of the default GPS. Their impression is that would make no one happy. The FMS crowd would complain about the lack of detail for the aircraft model they fly. The average user would be completely unable to use it and cost a lot of money in support.Or, they could build a very detailed FMS - but should it be Boeing, Airbus, Bombardier, Gulfstream, Beech, Cessna, ???Or they could leave that to addon developers.One thing they noted is no freeware 'high quality' FMS is available - a very strong indication there is not much of a demand for one beyond those offered on high-complexity addon aircraft.

Guest LeeWang

No FMC :-eekMicrosoft SHOULD NOT get into the "Add on" business!Lee

>One thing they noted is no freeware 'high quality' FMS is>available - a very strong indication there is not much of a>demand for one beyond those offered on high-complexity addon>aircraft.That was a very wise decision on their part. An FMC/FMS is an extremely complex, specific, purpose driven piece of equipment.Even the name branded "Universal" FMC is an excessively complex bit of kit that requires quite a bit of custom programming at installation time to "tailor it" to the specific aircraft in which it is installed, at which time it effectively ceases to be "universal" in any true sense of the word. ;)It's perhaps unfortunate that these days most folks - even some who're "professional programmers" - have so little understanding of the underlying complexity of code. They're so used to writing applications that use a plethora of pre-coded functions, that were they tasked to actually write code in assembler, they'd be totally lost... ;)Since the majority of any FMC/FMS functionality must be created in-situ, meaning there is no native flight sim API to draw upon, the degree of complexity has just increased exponentially!Just programming the interface that will generate all the required screens and menus is a complex task; writing the code that provides the data stream to drive those screens is even more daunting...All of this is to say with some degree of confidence that we will not be seeing any fully-funtional freeware FMC/FMS any time soon, if ever...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

>Are there any add-ons yet that handle basic functions for>using a FMC? In particular maybe a 737? I typically fly the>737PIC and PMDG 737 packages in FS9, I haven't spent a bunch>of time exploring FSX yet but I don't recall seeing anything>built in to the default planes which was really shocking to>me. >>>It's of course very possible its there and I haven't found it>yet. If thats the case... I stand before you for my ignorant>pilot flogging :)>>Thanks for any info. I have been using a product from ISG1 and it works quite well. Takes a bit of work to add to aircraft. http://isgsim.com Craig

Guest SSDriver

wow great replies! Interesting to read everyones thoughts. I don't know enough about a real-world FMS to say whats good and what isn't. I've just personally evolved in my simming where direct GPS flights doesn't offer much in terms of a challenge. I consider the FMC in the Level-D 767 to be great for my needs. It's taken me awhile to figure it out. But as soon as I loaded up FSX I missed it terribly and it just caught me off guard that nothing was there at all. So back to FS9 I went.Like most I don't mind buying add-ons and I think its great that the sim is such that the developers can manage to do what they can do to begin with. It's kinda crazy to see where simming has gone since my personal first experience with the SubLogic sim on my old VIC-20 (stop laughing). :-bigangel Having said that, I've noticed with the last handful of add-ons I've bought that the hit to the FPS is starting to take it's toll with all the code. I'm starting to do some research on hopefully running my applications like weather, etc. from other machines on my network to lighten the load.I'm in no way trying to complain about the MS team. With the way the gaming industry is going (read: consoles) I feel lucky that there are developers out there trying to keep the hobby going. My 12yr old son is starting to take an interest in Flying the Armchair, it's a good time to be a simmer I think.Again, thanks for the feedback everyone!