Sign in to follow this  
6297J

Terrain pre-caching thread

Also 'never overclock' is only good advice in general.  I was getting new CTD's with SU5, and I put my CPU, GPU and RAM back to default - still had them!  Eventually Asobo fixed them with the SU5 hotfixes.

Obviously, if you do overclock and have problems, you have to be prepared to put things back to defaults first to try to eliminate that as an issue.

The thing about destroying graphics cards and CPU's is a bit old now.  They all protect themselves from over voltage and over temperature by throttling. 
It doesn't mean you won't get instability, but destroying your hardware is really a long shot. 

If you weren't supposed to try it, intel wouldn't sell 'K' series processors, and apps like Afterburner wouldn't be put out by the manufacturers themselves.
Even RAM has XMP settings set by the manufacturers.
My own EVGA card comes with its own app with stupidly high ranges to try.  It even has a button to auto-tune and overclock itself!

Like I say, if bad things happen, the first thing you do is go back to defaults - common sense.

I am currently at 5.1 Ghz overclock on my CPU, RAM is overclocked at 3600Mhz XMP setting, and I put my 3080Ti up by about 100MHz on the GPU, and 1000Mhz on the VRAM - rock solid for hours and hours now in MSFS (and everything else).  My last CTD's were with SU5, which a lot of people had, and like I say were cured by the SU5 hotfixes and the updated G1000NXi without altering anything else.

Getting back on thread.  I really don't understand why - for me at least - performance is the same whether on low or ultra on the new pre-caching.  It begs the question - did it need to be altered at all during SU5?  Maybe some people with lower spec machines are seeing a difference?

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 3

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

5 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

Also 'never overclock' is only good advice in general.  I was getting new CTD's with SU5, and I put my CPU, GPU and RAM back to default - still had them!  Eventually Asobo fixed them with the SU5 hotfixes.

Obviously, if you do overclock and have problems, you have to be prepared to put things back to defaults first to try to eliminate that as an issue.

The thing about destroying graphics cards and CPU's is a bit old now.  They all protect themselves from over voltage and over temperature by throttling. 
It doesn't mean you won't get instability, but destroying your hardware is really a long shot. 

If you weren't supposed to try it, intel wouldn't sell 'K' series processors, and apps like Afterburner wouldn't be put out by the manufacturers themselves.
Even RAM has XMP settings set by the manufacturers.
My own EVGA card comes with its own app with stupidly high ranges to try.  It even has a button to auto-tune an overclock itself!

Like I say, if bad things happen, the first thing you do is go back to defaults - common sense.

I am currently at 5.1 Ghz overclock on my CPU, RAM is overclocked at 3600Mhz XMP setting, and I put my 3080Ti up by about 100MHz on the GPU, and 1000Mhz on the VRAM - rock solid for hours and hours now in MSFS (and everything else).  My last CTD's were with SU5, which a lot of people had, and like I say were cured by the SU5 hotfixes and the updated G1000NXi without altering anything else.

Getting back on thread.  I really don't understand why - for me at least - performance is the same whether on low or ultra on the new pre-caching.  It begs the question - did it need to be altered at all during SU5?  Maybe some people with lower spec machines are seeing a difference?

OC, done with thoroughly testing, can be a positive thing.

Both my systems are OC’d : 7940x to 4.7 Ghz and 8700 to 5.0 Ghz.

And both my 3090 cards are factory oc’d.

Only if you have issues you can try with no OC, lower settings and an empty Community folder.

In your case you have a perfect balance between hardware and software 👍

• Like 2

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

23 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

What actually is it? 

Resizable BAR. If your system has the right hardware and bios/vbios updates, it lets the CPU and GPU transfer data in blocks > 256 MB. Like when lots of textures need to be transferred, like when you swivel the camera. 
It’s actually part of the PCI spec.  NVidia calls it Resizable BAR, AMD calls it Smart Access Memory.  On AMD, it’s always working/enabled.  On NVidia, the driver game profile has to be set to enable it. 
I thought with the XBox mods in SU5, they’d code for it since it’s a part of the AMD XBox.   But the current NVidia drivers don’t enable it for the MSFS game profile. It’s not part of NVidia control panel either. But profile inspector lets you set 3 variables to enable it for MSFS. 
I found it helped a bit. Not night n day, but enough to leave set for a bit of free performance. I don’t get CTDs and so far it hasn’t shown any negatives. 
Word on the street was that it slightly hurt MSFS performance, that’s why NVidia enables/disables it on a per game basis. Maybe true on older versions, but for SU5+, I find it helps. 
My guess is that they’ll enable it by default in a future NVidia driver version soon. 

• Like 2

AMD 7950x3d, MSI 4090 Supreme Liquid, 64GB@6000 CL30, MSI X670E ACE, 4TB Crucial T700 nvme, MSI AIO, Asus 43" HDR1000, Quest Pro, VKB gunfighter, Bravo throttle, TPR, IBM Model M keyboard, Shure SM58

3 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

I really don't understand why - for me at least - performance is the same whether on low or ultra on the new pre-caching.  It begs the question - did it need to be altered at all during SU5?  Maybe some people with lower spec machines are seeing a difference?

It was needed for the memory constraints of XBox, not for PC.

• Like 2

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

5 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

I really don't understand why - for me at least - performance is the same whether on low or ultra on the new pre-caching.

You should only be seeing higher amounts of VRAM (and maybe SysRAM not sure) being used.

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

So… Is Ultra setting doable in 2560x 1440 with only 8gb of vram on a 2080 super?

Chris Camp

2 minutes ago, Kilo60 said:

So… Is Ultra setting doable in 2560x 1440 with only 8gb of vram on a 2080 super?

Yes, I have mine set at ultra using a 1080ti.

mike

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mikeymike said:

mike

Great thanks!

Chris Camp

3 hours ago, mikeymike said:

mike

The 1080ti has 11 gig VRAM.

Intel Core i5-12600k, Nvidia RTX 2080 Super, 64 Gigs.

3 hours ago, Kilo60 said:

It's also doable on 4k. I have a 2080 Super as well.

Intel Core i5-12600k, Nvidia RTX 2080 Super, 64 Gigs.

8 hours ago, Kilo60 said:

I run a 3070/9900K . The 3070 is basically the same non RT performance as a 2080ti, but with only 8Gb RAM, so in the same rough ball park as the 2080 Super if your not ray tracing.

Running straight off the shelf Ultra settings in game at 1440p I was getting anywhere from 50 FPS up to maybe 90 FPS after SU5.   

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

Hi, using showcase camera at 38000 feet, left or right wings camera view , experience textures popping up in the distance, while having the new slider with WU6 at Ultra. Anyone else experience the same?

It suppose to be fixed

4 hours ago, georgiosgiannoukos said:

Hi, using showcase camera at 38000 feet, left or right wings camera view , experience textures popping up in the distance, while having the new slider with WU6 at Ultra. Anyone else experience the same?

It suppose to be fixed

Never ever used the showcase camera at 38000 feet to be honest. Normally I just sit in the VC 🤷

5 hours ago, georgiosgiannoukos said:

It suppose to be fixed

By textures, do you mean mountain morphing? 

If you're seeing actual textures popping, you could try widening the LOD circle in the UserCfg file. 

I have Terrain LOD at 4.0 and Objects LOD at 3.5. So far it's looking good.

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

3 minutes ago, Republic3D said:

By textures, do you mean mountain morphing? 

If you're seeing actual textures popping, you could try widening the LOD circle in the UserCfg file. 

I have Terrain LOD at 4.0 and Objects LOD at 3.5. So far it's looking good.

Any performance impact them?