Sign in to follow this  
jfri

Problem with severe stuttering

During my last three flights with the A2A B17G I encounter severe stuttering after some time (more than one hour). But before that performance is ok. I should mention that I use VR but disabling it did not stop the stuttering. The fps counter shows very varying fps from up to 60 down to 1 fps. It is a freezing display during a time of maybe half a second. I fly in ORBX scenery. My first idea was that I am running out of resources. But that does not seem to be the case. In the task manager I see that 6 Gb VRAM is used and around 10 Gb Ram. Only CPU is said to constantly be at 100%. But the GPU only around 20%. Which seem strange. You could think that the GPU should have the heaviest load for VR.

My system
CPU Haswell 4770K @4.5 GHZ RAM 16 Gb 2200 MHz Video card 2070 Super. I use SSD disks. Win 10 and I have the latest P3D 5.2 with HF

Edited by jfri

There was a noticeable shift to higher CPU usage and lower GPU usage in v5 when compared to v4.I believe the latest HF for v5.2 tried to address that somewhat but CPU usage is higher than what it was.

A couple of things to try:

Delete your P3d.cfg file and let it generate a new one.

Back off on some of your texture resolution and AA settings one notch.

If you have AI enabled, also back that off.

then monitor CPU and GPU performance to see if the balance between GPU and CPU is better.

Ideally, you dont want your overall CPU usage to be flat-topped at 100% all the time. Its OK for it to hit that peak usage for a brief period of time but you want to have your CPU core 0 operating in the 70-90% range the majority of the time. Also have a look at your other CPU cores (In Task Manager) and you should see some of the other cores running at around 30-40% CPU usage.

Running the Orbx regions (not the Global LC) puts additional stress on your system so best to leave yourself some breathing room by managing the CPU usage below max.

You dont mention whether you are running with unlimited frame rates or whether that is being managed to a set value via the in-sim setitng or managed externally. What setting do you have set?

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

I’ve encountered this at certain airports and it was down to one setting being too high for my system. Dynamic Reflections was set to High. I lowered it to Medium and the problem was resolved.

And I was limiting my fps to 30 via VSync =On on a 30Hz monitor.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

6 hours ago, 787flyer said:

You dont mention whether you are running with unlimited frame rates or whether that is being managed to a set value via the in-sim setitng or managed externally. What setting do you have set?

I have set fps to target 60 fps.

I could also mention that one flight was in Australia towards Cairns airport. So there I had both region and airport add on from Orbx and also Active Sky running.
But my last flight was in western Europe where I have Global + Vector + LC and no Active Sky.

I've also had some more instances of stuttering since I last reported it.

P3Dv5.2 is using 6 out of 8 cpu cores at 100% all the time, with the other 2 running at between 30-50%.  GPU utilization is below 20% and only using 2-3GB VRAM.

It's funny because I read so many stories about how P3Dv5 utilizes the GPU so much more and CPU less, however it seems to be just the opposite.

I turned down my scenery LOD radius from 6.5 to 5.5 and that seems to have helped.  I suppose I'll have to continue turning down settings until the stuttering stops completely.

Never had this stuttering in v4.5 using the same CPU and GPU.

LM needs to investigate this issue.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

12 minutes ago, dave2013 said:

You have to defeat the Beta Tester Gate Keepers on their forum first...

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, dave2013 said:

Never had this stuttering in v4.5 using the same CPU and GPU.

V4 was DX11, v5 is DX12. Very different animals. If you have a 60Hz monitor with VSync enabled the CPU and GPU are trying to return 60fps. Running at 30Hz halves the workload. None of my cores run at 100% once I’m away from busy airports. Set your display to 30Hz if you can.

It’s unlikely there’ll be any major adjustments to v5.2.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

V4 was DX11, v5 is DX12. Very different animals. If you have a 60Hz monitor with VSync enabled the CPU and GPU are trying to return 60fps. Running at 30Hz halves the workload. None of my cores run at 100% once I’m away from busy airports. Set your display to 30Hz if you can.

It’s unlikely there’ll be any major adjustments to v5.2.

I don't use vsync, and frames are limited to 30fps in sim.

My settings are actually in the mid-high range, nothing set to ultra except the LOD scenery radius of 5.5, which I would not consider "ultra", but maybe in this sim it is too high. 

My sim settings: 4x SGAA, 8X Aniso, 2K textures, high tessellation, mesh 19m, 7cm tex res, no HDR, no reflections, EA on, no vol clouds, dense autogen, medium autogen distance, medium water, shadow quality and distance high.  Pretty reasonable settings for my hardware IMO.

I'm using a 2K display, 9700k cpu overclocked to 4.7GHz, 2070 super GPU 8GB vram, 32GB 3000MHz RAM. 

Anyone have any suggestion to stop this occasional stuttering which is so bad I have to stop flying?

Thanks.

Dave

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

Dave, setting 30 in P3D is the worst way to do it. It consumes processing cycles trying to achieve it. Better to use Riva Tuner SS and the half refresh rate. Best of all is a monitor capable of 30Hz with VSync enabled.

Do you have road traffic enabled? That was always a killer. Turn it off and see if that improves things. Your other settings look fine but anisotropic will be okay at 16x.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

26 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Dave, setting 30 in P3D is the worst way to do it. It consumes processing cycles trying to achieve it. Better to use Riva Tuner SS and the half refresh rate. Best of all is a monitor capable of 30Hz with VSync enabled.

Do you have road traffic enabled? That was always a killer. Turn it off and see if that improves things. Your other settings look fine but anisotropic will be okay at 16x.

Well, I followed your suggestion and set the Nvidia frame limiter to 30fps, and Vsync on with FPS unlimited in the sim.

FPS is stable at 30, CPU utilization has dropped to an average of 60-70%, whereas before it was 85-100%, GPU at 30%.

This might just do the trick.

Thanks, Ray!

Dave

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Well, the stuttering happened again, this time at 35,000ft over Germany.

All CPU cores shot up to 100% utilization and GPU was at 20-30%.  After a few minutes, the GPU utilization dropped to <10% and shortly after that the sim froze up for about 30 seconds then started stuttering again.

The only external app I'm using is Active Sky, and the last time this happened I killed that but the stuttering continued.

Something strange is going on here.

Dave

@dave2013 What are your computer specs?

I also have some short stutters from time to time but in between the sim runs fluently. I don´t use external fps limiter, but the internal one and to avoid blurry textures. I limit to only 21 fps. Yes it feels a little better with 30, even with 60 but my system can´t hold this fps for always anyway. With the lowest setting I allow the system to load data and get less blurries and stutters. But when I arrive at a large addon airport I get the hourglass for 1-2 seconds and the sim freezes. I think this is a programming problem of the FSX based sim. They need to change that somehow, but I´m not sure, if the ever will. 

I have no Prepar3D.cfg tweaks, like AffinityMask or Fiber_Frame_Time_Fraction. I only changed something with the lights according to iniBuilds recommendation for their dynamic lights.

Dan

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

3 hours ago, dave2013 said:

Well, the stuttering happened again, this time at 35,000ft over Germany.

If you know the location (within 20nm) fly over it again and if the problem occurs again it’s a scenery issue.

If it doesn’t it’s something else. Do you have Autosave enabled in FSUIPC? If yes, load the last saved flight and see if it happens again.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

For what its worth, I've been getting some very noticeably and repeatable stuttering on P3D 5.2HF1 as well. It happened a few months ago, came out of nowhere as the system had been running perfectly. Then one day on approach into Orbx EGPH i was getting a 2-3 seccond pause every 10-15 seconds. I tried turning all the settings down (literally all the way to the left) removed all AI, close all external apps (like AS) - nothing fixed it.

At that point I uninstalled the most recent Windows Update and vawoosh - problem solved.  At least until today when the problem returned. I can only presume the update eventually caught up with me.

Like the OP - the system was running smooth as silk for the first couple of hours of the flight but into the last hour or so (usually on descent) I'd get these massive stutters. Was repeatable on a variety of sceneries. 

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

5 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

If you know the location (within 20nm) fly over it again and if the problem occurs again it’s a scenery issue.

Some time ago I had a very strange stutter problem that was related to location. An area around my home airport ESGP always resulted in severe stuttering (similar to what I now have) and it was right at start of the flight. But as soon as I get away some distance from ESGP it vanished. Get closer and it reappear. That issue vanished after a while without me doing anything particular.

The stuttering issues in P3D is very strange and difficult to understand and therefore difficult to solve.